Can the RX 480 Crossfire with the R9 380?

So I have an MSI R9 380 4GB, and I'm starting to look for a bit more graphics power, seeing as it might get me through this fall at 1080p60FPS max settings like it did last season, especially against Battlefield 1, no matter how optimized. Since the RX 480 came out for the same price as the 380, I was wondering if I could just get one of those and get performance noticeably above the RX 480. I've heard that you can Crossfire two different AMD cards as long as they have certain similar properties. Though the 480 is on the new Polaris architecture, and probably won't Crossfire with my 380, I was wondering if it somehow could. Also, if they don't Crossfire, would it be worth it to wait a couple of months and pay like $150 for another 380 for a Crossfire setup, or should I just sell my 380 now and get a 480? Thanks :)

only with DX12 multi-adapter. 

plain old Crossfire is a definite no. you need to have the same chip, like 7870 + 270x, or nano + fury.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

2 minutes ago, App4that said:

No. They are different GPUs,

2c7a419.jpg

In Crossfire, you can pair different GPUs in certain situations if you didn't know that. This isn't SLI.

If they use different GPU architectures I'd beg to guess no. I've never been familiar with GPU's that could utilize each others compute power when the architecture was different between the two.

1 minute ago, thetimeis2 said:

In Crossfire, you can pair different GPUs in certain situations if you didn't know that. This isn't SLI.

In crossfire, you can pair different GPUs if they're based on the same die. Example: People CFing a 7970 with a 7950

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

2 minutes ago, Energycore said:

In crossfire, you can pair different GPUs if they're based on the same die. Example: People CFing a 7970 with a 7950

Alright, cool.

3 minutes ago, thetimeis2 said:

I have some experience with Crossfire.

IMG_0208.jpg

If anyone asks you never saw me.

Certain situations being, as @Energycore pointed out, the same die. eg: 390 and 390X or 290 or 290X, 7979 with 280X...etc

The 480 is a completely different die from any other architecture.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

2 minutes ago, App4that said:

I have some experience with Crossfire.

IMG_0208.jpg

You said they needed to be the same card. Just because you can plug in two cards to your motherboard doesn't mean you know the ins and outs of the practice.

So thoughts on Crossfire 380s vs. a 480?

Not every game will support crossfire so I'd go 480

But if you already have a 380 it's not that appealing an upgrade, the 380 can still do VR, just not all the games

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

3 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

Certain situations being, as @Energycore pointed out, the same die. eg: 390 and 390X or 290 or 290X, 7979 with 280X...etc

Yeah, new architecture. Got it. So should I wait and get another 380 or buy a 480?

You said they needed to be the same card. Just because you can plug in two cards to your motherboard doesn't mean you know the ins and outs of the practice.

No, I said the same GPU. GPU is not the same thing as graphics card. Though it is used as slang for graphics card.

2 minutes ago, Energycore said:

Not every game will support crossfire so I'd go 480

But if you already have a 380 it's not that appealing an upgrade, the 380 can still do VR, just not all the games

Mhm my friend got a Vive and a 480 the other day. He says everything he's tried works fine. I would have to get a Rift because I don't have that money lying around lol but I was thinking that in a little while. I just Was looking for more power in my regular day because I know this season won't bring me the highest settings 1080p60 anymore, which I'm sure the 480 will do.

3 minutes ago, App4that said:

No, I said the same GPU. GPU is not the same thing as graphics card. Though it is used as slang for graphics card.

Ah so you didn't mean the card as a whole, you meant the processor. Alright, I catch your drift.

Ah so you didn't mean the card as a whole, you meant the processor. Alright, I catch your drift.

Which is why I could crossfire a 290 and 390. Or 390x, or 290x. But once the architecture changes you can't. So no 280, 380 crossfire. Since the 380 is really a 285.

12 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

Yup 390 & 290 cab same GPU

39 minutes ago, thetimeis2 said:

No he didn't. They are different GPUs, they need to be the same GPU to crossfire. GPU != Graphics card.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

2 hours ago, thetimeis2 said:

Only in very few Situations. I actually believe the 7970 and 7950/7870&7850 were the only ones. Also, the 380 and 480 are even different architectures so a definite no. 

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 5800x3D | Scythe Fuma 2 | RX6600XT Red Devil | B550M Steel Legend | Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MTs | 980 Pro Gen4 - RAID0 - Kingston A400 480GB x2 RAID1 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB x2 | Fractal Design Integra M 650W | InWin 103 | Mic. - SM57 | Headphones - Sony MDR-1A | Keyboard - Roccat Vulcan 100 AIMO | Mouse - Steelseries Rival 310 | Monitor - Dell S3422DWG

• 5 months later...

so, the qustion of the pssibility of crossfireing (is this an actual word? Hmmmm...) a R9 380 with an RX 480 ist answered. But:

would it be worth it to wait a couple of months and pay like $150 for another 380

Im in the same situation, and as google does not say anything about how dumb or clever it would be to crossfire an 380 4GB 2 times or get a RX480 8GB, what do you guys think? Please let me know...

CPU Intel Core i5 4670, 3.4GHz Motherboard ASRock Z97 Pro4 RAM Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB, 1833Hz GPU AMD Radeon R9 380 4GB OC Case BeQuiet Silent Base 800 Storage Seagate ST2000DX001 SSDH  PSU BeQuiet PurePower L8, 400W Display(s) Samsung 2 x 22" Cooling BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 3 Operating System Windows 10

1 hour ago, cyanit said:

so, the qustion of the pssibility of crossfireing (is this an actual word? Hmmmm...) a R9 380 with an RX 480 ist answered. But:

Im in the same situation, and as google does not say anything about how dumb or clever it would be to crossfire an 380 4GB 2 times or get a RX480 8GB, what do you guys think? Please let me know...

Sell it. Get a 480.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

6 minutes ago, ivan134 said:

Sell it. Get a 480.

okay... just bought my 380 a few month ago, traveling home and reading "new RX 480 announced" and thought about returning it right away. Damm it id should have done that.

CPU Intel Core i5 4670, 3.4GHz Motherboard ASRock Z97 Pro4 RAM Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB, 1833Hz GPU AMD Radeon R9 380 4GB OC Case BeQuiet Silent Base 800 Storage Seagate ST2000DX001 SSDH  PSU BeQuiet PurePower L8, 400W Display(s) Samsung 2 x 22" Cooling BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 3 Operating System Windows 10

7 minutes ago, ivan134 said:

Sell it. Get a 480.

thank you for your response. Have a nice day!