Need to destroy a hard drive - help!

Claryn

First off: Do not give me the moral speech.

Background story:

In 2011, I bought a Packard Bell Notebook. After four hard drive failures, I got it refunded, and the retailer suggested a new Notebook that got a better cage around the hard drive to make sure I didn't break it. This drive also failed on me three times, but now the retailer won't give me a refund until it breaks one more time.

So..

The warranty runs out in a couple of weeks, and I really want that refund. I'm so tired for this piece of crap. Therefor, I need your help to corrupt/destroy the hard-drive without them noticing I did it on purpose. It kind of have to be covered by the warranty.

Does anyone have any tips? :)

Running Arch with i3-gaps on a Thinkpad X1 Extreme
Data Science Postgrad

Drop it?

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k @ 4.7 1.3v  with a Corsair H80 w/Dual SP120s - Motherboard: MSI Z97 gaming 5 - RAM: 4x4 G.Skill Ripjaws X @ 1600 - GPU: Dual PowerColour R9 290- SSD: Samsung NVME SM951 256GB-- PSU: Corsair RM 1000  - Case: NZXT H440 Black/red - Keyboard: Coolermaster CM storm Quickfire TK, Cherry MX blues - Mouse: Logitech G502 - Heaphones: Beyerdynamic DT 770 - Monitors: 3x VE248H Eyefinity 1080P -  Phone: iPhone 6S Plus               Please post your specifications in your post, signature or even better, system page on your profile!

Drop it?

That will not be covered by the warranty

Then they would say it is my fault it broke.

Data Science Postgrad

put it in the oven at about 65c while powered on until dead.

Don't commit to fraud :L

put it in the oven at about 65c while powered on until dead.

Don't commit to fraud :L

Then I would risk the hdd not being the reason the laptop dies. That won't give me a refund. It have to be the hdd that does.

Data Science Postgrad

well.. don't turn the broiler on and the screen will be fine? As long as it is just idling or even better running a disk benchmark, should be fine.

don't do this..... Don't put it in a sealed bag and then into the freezer while on over night either...

The retailer is frauding me. I am too lazy to go to the authorities with this. I should have gotten a refund after the third time it broke. I just find it easier to make it die once more.

Data Science Postgrad

The retailer is frauding me. I am too lazy to go to the authorities with this. I should have gotten a refund after the third time it broke. I just find it easier to make it die once more.

It sounds like you're doing something wrong if you have killed SEVEN, hard drives...

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k @ 4.7 1.3v  with a Corsair H80 w/Dual SP120s - Motherboard: MSI Z97 gaming 5 - RAM: 4x4 G.Skill Ripjaws X @ 1600 - GPU: Dual PowerColour R9 290- SSD: Samsung NVME SM951 256GB-- PSU: Corsair RM 1000  - Case: NZXT H440 Black/red - Keyboard: Coolermaster CM storm Quickfire TK, Cherry MX blues - Mouse: Logitech G502 - Heaphones: Beyerdynamic DT 770 - Monitors: 3x VE248H Eyefinity 1080P -  Phone: iPhone 6S Plus               Please post your specifications in your post, signature or even better, system page on your profile!

Tell them that u are going to contact the better business bureau then see how they react.

well.. don't turn the broiler on and the screen will be fine? As long as it is just idling or even better running a disk benchmark, should be fine.

don't do this..... Don't put it in a sealed bag and then into the freezer while on over night either...

So running a disk bench. While it is in the oven at 65c with hot air it would die because of a hdd failure?

Data Science Postgrad

It sounds like you're doing something wrong if you have killed SEVEN, hard drives...

Every time I sent it for repair they said it was a DoA.

Data Science Postgrad

Take it out then plug the power on and off (by removing the connector) and attempt to angle it so the power pins cross or contact the wrong pin and see if you can get it to short out.

If you can't take it out of the laptop then go to the play ground and mount it securely on the merry go round at its outer edge and spin it as fast as possible, randomly stopping the spin as fast as possible then reversing the spin.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

Alright, I will try to move the laptop fast enough so the hard drive fails that way. If it does not work, then I will put it in the oven on 65 degrees.

Data Science Postgrad

Du har jo reklamasjon på 5 år!!!

Sorry for the Norwegian :P

Du har jo reklamasjon på 5 år!!!

Sorry for the Norwegian :P

Som jeg sa så orker jeg ikke styret. De nekter meg pengene tilbake.

Data Science Postgrad

Seriously, from what I can tell the OP should be teaching us how to ruin hard drives...

Protip: bad luck.

All of them was a DoA according to the retailer.

Data Science Postgrad

Have it constantly reading or writing and hold a big magnet to it, or just shake the hell out of it for a while. Although this may not work as modern hard drives in laptops have sudden motion sensors which disengage the read / write heads when motion is detected. 

I can't believe you've had so many drive fails! I've literally only had 1 hard drive fail in the past 10 years!

CPU i5 4430 3Ghz | Ram: 16GB DDR3 1600 | GPU: GTX 650 Ti 1GB | Mobo: H87N-Wifi | Case: White Bitfenix Prodigy | Boot Drive: 120GB 840 Evo (Mac OS X) 120gb OCZ Vertex 3 (Windows) | Games Drive: 640GB WD Green | OS: Windows 8 & OS X 10.9.1

I love all technology. The perfection of macs for my designer side, and the hardware and fun of tinkering on the of the pc side. We can have it all, just not at the same time.

In fact the best advice is probably just do whatever the hell you've been doing, as it seems to have worked the past 7 times hahahaha!

CPU i5 4430 3Ghz | Ram: 16GB DDR3 1600 | GPU: GTX 650 Ti 1GB | Mobo: H87N-Wifi | Case: White Bitfenix Prodigy | Boot Drive: 120GB 840 Evo (Mac OS X) 120gb OCZ Vertex 3 (Windows) | Games Drive: 640GB WD Green | OS: Windows 8 & OS X 10.9.1

I love all technology. The perfection of macs for my designer side, and the hardware and fun of tinkering on the of the pc side. We can have it all, just not at the same time.