What do you think of this build?

Takkun

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Talphus/saved/

I'm going to be saving up some money for a new PC here relatively soon. I think I should have the cash in hand within the next 2 months or so. That being said, I came up with this build. I tried to save costs where I could, but I wanted to get a "cool" case that's white. So, that being said, I wanted to get y'all's thoughts on what I have so far. Bear in mind I don't have storage listed because about 2 months ago I bought a brand new 500 GB 850 EVO and 2 TB WD Blue HDD, and when I get all my parts I'm going to take out and add it to the new build. Matter of fact, my PC is about 5 years old now. It has a Corsair 650 watt power supply and I was wondering if I could swap that out to the new rig or not? Also, is it worth it to get a 1080 over a 1070? Right now I have a nice 1440p 1 ms response time monitor, so getting a new 4k monitor isn't necessary right now. I do wanna get that eventually, but I would wait until I could get a new 27 inch 4 K monitor for a decent price. Will a 1070 be sufficient to run 4K? Or, if it was my goal to eventually get a 4k monitor, would it be better to just get the one 1070 now, knowing that down the line I could just buy another 1070, and for probably cheaper? And, if I went the route of SLI eventually, would 650 watts be enough power? Or would it just be better to wait a little bit longer to save money and get a 1080 and just never do SLI, and eventually in a few years when it becomes obsolete just buy a whole new PC again (minus case, etc). And finally, I have a Windows 7 disk that I've used for years and years. I've reinstalled countless times, but only on THIS motherboard. It's no longer going to be able to upgrade to windows 10, since I upgraded it on my current build, but I didn't like it so I reverted. Would I be able to use that for the new PC? Since all my files and stuff are already saved on the current SSD/HDD, can I just swap that into the new PC when it's built? Or do I have to do a fresh install? I know this is kind of a long post so I would really appreciate any answers. Thanks! =)

EDIT: Also, ideally, I'd like to keep to the budget listed of around 1200 bucks. That being said, if I saved a little bit more I could possibly push my budget to around 1700ish bucks (to get 1080 instead of 1070, for example) but if the list I have meets the criteria that would be best. I basically want to be able to play BF1 when it launches at max graphics and it be smooth. I don't care about VR or anything like that, but I want to be able to run games great for the next long while and be able to get a 4k monitor eventually and it still look good/run good. The reason I went with the particular parts instead of like an I7 for example is this will ONLY be for playing games. That and general web surfing and stuff. Thanks guys!

TL;DR: 

1. 1070 or 1080?

2. Will windows 7 run on new parts if I take storage from old pc to new one?

3. Will 1070 run 4k if I eventually get 4k monitor?

4. Would it be better to get 1070 now to save money since I don't have 4 monitor yet and when I do get a 2nd 1070 and run SLI?

5. If I did run 1070 SLI would 650 be enough power to run it?

1.A 1070 would run 4k but could not play 4k unless the settings are medium

2.SLI has allot of drawbacks i suggest a 1080 and then SLIing a 1080 later in the future 

3.650w would be the limit i recommend for SLI 750 or 850 for breathing room

HISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

i7 2700k 4.5GHz / Cooler Master Nepton 240mm / Asus Sabertooth Z77 / HyperX Savage 32gb / EVGA GTX TITAN SUPERCLOCKED SIGNATURE

Also, once I take the parts out of my old build it will pretty much be nonfunctional. I could add back the old WD HDD in it and make it a somewhat okay 4 year old PC that could run games like Skyrim and other older games of the say, xbox 360/ps3 era fine. What could I do with it? Is there anywhere that y'all know of where you can get rid of old PC stuff? I'd sell it for super cheap but I don't really know anyone IRL that would need it since either my friends that are into PC gaming have awesome setups or are console gamers. I'd hate for all the stuff to go sitting unused. Is there any place y'all know of where you can sell/give away computer parts? I'd almost like to just give it to someone but I'm afraid of shipping damaging it, and I also wouldn't wanna pay shipping costs.

1 minute ago, Takkun said:

Also, once I take the parts out of my old build it will pretty much be nonfunctional. I could add back the old WD HDD in it and make it a somewhat okay 4 year old PC that could run games like Skyrim and other older games of the say, xbox 360/ps3 era fine. What could I do with it? Is there anywhere that y'all know of where you can get rid of old PC stuff? I'd sell it for super cheap but I don't really know anyone IRL that would need it since either my friends that are into PC gaming have awesome setups or are console gamers. I'd hate for all the stuff to go sitting unused. Is there any place y'all know of where you can sell/give away computer parts? I'd almost like to just give it to someone but I'm afraid of shipping damaging it, and I also wouldn't wanna pay shipping costs.

Give the old parts to Goodwill or the likes, I know Charlotte should have at least a few of those in and around the city.

As for the GPU, go with the best you can afford and if you can afford the 1080 build then go with that instead of the 1070.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1) Depends on fps of you're monitor but 1070 is better value

2) It will run, but it might be a pain to install depending on you're motherboard and how you install it

3) Eh not really quickly (it can do it but less than 60 fps), if you have 4k aspirations 1080 is a better option

4) That could be a good option

5) Technically yes, though I saw a 750W PSU in you're list, which would give more leeway 

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

1 minute ago, LizardsAreOP said:

1.A 1070 would run 4k but could not play 4k unless the settings are medium

2.SLI has allot of drawbacks i suggest a 1080 and then SLIing a 1080 later in the future 

3.650w would be the limit i recommend for SLI 750 or 850 for breathing room

So basically you'd keep all the parts the same but get a 1080 and get a 750w? The 1080 can play 4k comfortably I imagine?

As for Windows working I would do a clean install. Swapping a bunch of parts will lead to a lot of issues. You can take the current Windows 7 key and use it to activate a copy of Windows 10 as well which I think will make installation and drivers work much smoother out of the box.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

3 minutes ago, Takkun said:

So basically you'd keep all the parts the same but get a 1080 and get a 750w? The 1080 can play 4k comfortably I imagine?

The 1080 can play medium for those really tense games and high for some other games at 50 sometimes 60fps i suggest a i7 for future proofing and it would give a little more performance

HISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

i7 2700k 4.5GHz / Cooler Master Nepton 240mm / Asus Sabertooth Z77 / HyperX Savage 32gb / EVGA GTX TITAN SUPERCLOCKED SIGNATURE

1. 1070. 1080 is not worth the extra money imho

2. It can, but why not go with a fresh install?

3. It will. The frame rate is ofcourse dependent on the game and your desired settings. 

4. You could, you might not even have to get a second one.

5. It is enough for 1, 2 might get a bit iffy 

A user interface is like a joke. If you have to explain it, it’s not that good.

My setup: AMD FX-8350, 16GB DDR-1600, ASUS GeForce GTX 970 STRIX

1 minute ago, Lurick said:

As for Windows working I would do a clean install. Swapping a bunch of parts will lead to a lot of issues. You can take the current Windows 7 key and use it to activate a copy of Windows 10 as well which I think will make installation and drivers work much smoother out of the box.

Well see the thing is I already tried windows 10 on this current pc and then didn't like it so I went back to 7. It's not that I didn't like it, really, just had some issues with files and my games and didn't wanna do a whole reinstall. But I'm thinking that the upgrade's tied to my current motherboard, so really what I was asking if I should just get windows 7 or if I should suck it up and buy a copy of windows 10 for a hundred bucks or whatever since it's the newest supported OS.

3 minutes ago, Takkun said:

Unfortunately, we're not at the point where one GPU can run 4K games at max settings at a constant 60FPS. You'd be looking at medium to high settings with the GTX 1080 to run it at that sort of framerate.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

Oh one thing if you plan to get 1080s or sli 1070 you should get an i7 to prevent possible bottlenecks in high cpu usage games

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

6 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

1) Depends on fps of you're monitor but 1070 is better value

2) It will run, but it might be a pain to install depending on you're motherboard and how you install it

3) Eh not really quickly (it can do it but less than 60 fps), if you have 4k aspirations 1080 is a better option

4) That could be a good option

5) Technically yes, though I saw a 750W PSU in you're list, which would give more leeway 

If I had a 5 yo PSU in my current build can I put that into the new computer or would that not be a good idea? It's a corsair psu that's run reliably for years. But I'm afraid that since it's older now it'd be unwise to cut costs on the thing that powers the whole computer.

2 minutes ago, Takkun said:

Well see the thing is I already tried windows 10 on this current pc and then didn't like it so I went back to 7. It's not that I didn't like it, really, just had some issues with files and my games and didn't wanna do a whole reinstall. But I'm thinking that the upgrade's tied to my current motherboard, so really what I was asking if I should just get windows 7 or if I should suck it up and buy a copy of windows 10 for a hundred bucks or whatever since it's the newest supported OS.

Since you're doing a new build I would just go with a fresh new copy of Windows 10, keep everything nice and fresh from the start although I would try doing a clean install of Windows 10 and using the Windows 7 key just to see what happens on the new build and then pop the old drive in and copy whatever you need to off there. If using the key doesn't work then go ahead and buy the new copy and just use the CD Key to reactivate that way which shouldn't mess with anything.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

2 minutes ago, Takkun said:

If I had a 5 yo PSU in my current build can I put that into the new computer or would that not be a good idea? It's a corsair psu that's run reliably for years. But I'm afraid that since it's older now it'd be unwise to cut costs on the thing that powers the whole computer.

Depends on the specific model, though if you're getting such high end components it might be worth the 100 bucks to get a new PSU, but if it's one of these, Corsair - AX, AXi, HXi then it should still hold up well these  RMi, HX also hold up well, anything else and I wouldn't consider it.

5 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

Oh one thing if you plan to get 1080s or sli 1070 you should get an i7 to prevent possible bottlenecks in high cpu usage games

Hmmmm. The thing is here is with certain upgrades it's going to really be racking up costs. Like, going from 1200 to almost 2 grand. I'm thinking that maybe it'd be better to just get the 1070, and the 750 watt PSU. Then running with what I have for a good long while, say a year or so. Then prices would go down and eventually getting either another 1070 and if I have to buy an i7 or then I could resell the i5 and 1070 and put the money towards the new parts. The thing is, I'd like to future proof, but at the same time, everything's going to eventually be obsolete, you feel me? So what I'm trying to do is strike that balance between having something that's nice that's going to last for a good little bit while at the same time keeping costs in check. As I've said, really the ABSOLUTE MOST I'd like to spend is in the 1700 dollar range, but from what people are telling me about the 1070 being the better value it seems like that'd be the better route to go. I'm a little torn here about what my best coarse of action here should be.... I initially came here to just get some ideas on what I should do but y'all have given me some strong food for thought. Whenever I have cash in hand and before I order parts I'll have to come back here to see what everybody thinks. I just wanted to get input so I could modify my pc part picker list so that in 2 months or so I'll have a good basis of where to start.

4 minutes ago, Takkun said:

Then prices would go down and eventually getting either another 1070 and if I have to buy an i7 or then I could resell the i5 and 1070 and put the money towards the new parts.

This is true, I only mentioned it since it will bottleneck in commonly played games like GTA, buy what you need and you'll end up with a better value purchase. Then if you want to step up later you can once you have the money or if prices drop.

8 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

Depends on the specific model, though if you're getting such high end components it might be worth the 100 bucks to get a new PSU, but if it's one of these, Corsair - AX, AXi, HXi then it should still hold up well these  RMi, HX also hold up well, anything else and I wouldn't consider it.

Well, I accidentally posted the more expensive version of my parts list. Really the one I MEANT to post would be this one:

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Talphus/saved/#view=zGkNnQ

Which you can see is only 1200 bucks. That was what I was kinda hoping for and if I could reuse certain parts it'd cut costs while still being able to play BF1 like I want it to it'd be a lot better for me. I can always save more and get something better, but I know I'm never going to get some crazy fucking awesome 5 grand pc with 3 titan x's. I basically just want something that's going to comfortably run BF1 while also being a jumping off point for 4k in the future, as in, be easy to upgrade for the time when I'm able to get a new monitor.

5 minutes ago, Takkun said:

Well, I accidentally posted the more expensive version of my parts list. Really the one I MEANT to post would be this one:

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Talphus/saved/#view=zGkNnQ

Which you can see is only 1200 bucks. That was what I was kinda hoping for and if I could reuse certain parts it'd cut costs while still being able to play BF1 like I want it to it'd be a lot better for me. I can always save more and get something better, but I know I'm never going to get some crazy fucking awesome 5 grand pc with 3 titan x's. I basically just want something that's going to comfortably run BF1 while also being a jumping off point for 4k in the future, as in, be easy to upgrade for the time when I'm able to get a new monitor.

Well what is your PSU, if you're concerned with budget it is a good idea to save it, but if it's a cx, vs, cs you might want to change it.

17 minutes ago, Matias_Chambers said:

I was reading about the different kinds of cpus, and it seems that you picked the latest i7 version? There's a older one that I didn't list in my part list, the I5 version. I read that they go in tick and tock cycles. Well, anyways, the reason I asked was that the i7 version of the newest one is 400 some dollars, which I'm not willing to spend. So, you seem to think it's better to get an i7 of the newer version rather than an i5 of the old version? And do you really think that liquid cooling is necessary? This is going to be the first PC that I actually build. The current rig I own was built by a friend years ago. This time I'm going to be doing it. As such, I don't know if I'm going to ever do overclocking or anything. I'd probably just add another card. I don't even know how to overclock and I'm scared to do it cuz I wouldn't wanna fry my card. That being said, is there any point to get these versions of cpus etc that can be overclocked if I don't intend on using that functionality? Couldn't I save money on that end?

And, also, what makes that one MOBO so much cheaper than the asrock I listed? I thought that asus was a knock off or subsidiary of asrock and wasn't that good and that asrock was generally regarded better?

8 minutes ago, Takkun said:

I was reading about the different kinds of cpus, and it seems that you picked the latest i7 version? There's a older one that I didn't list in my part list, the I5 version. I read that they go in tick and tock cycles. Well, anyways, the reason I asked was that the i7 version of the newest one is 400 some dollars, which I'm not willing to spend. So, you seem to think it's better to get an i7 of the newer version rather than an i5 of the old version? And do you really think that liquid cooling is necessary? This is going to be the first PC that I actually build. The current rig I own was built by a friend years ago. This time I'm going to be doing it. As such, I don't know if I'm going to ever do overclocking or anything. I'd probably just add another card. I don't even know how to overclock and I'm scared to do it cuz I wouldn't wanna fry my card. That being said, is there any point to get these versions of cpus etc that can be overclocked if I don't intend on using that functionality? Couldn't I save money on that end?

I think it's worth getting the 6700K, if you are getting such a high end GPU and mabye SLI in the future. If you don't want to overclock just get the 6700 non K and get an H170 mobo. And you wont need to buy a cooler as the 6700 already comes with one. If you want to try and overclock, but don't want to spend a lot on a cooler, then get a Cryorig H5 Ultimate. 50$ air cooler. 

9 minutes ago, Takkun said:

And, also, what makes that one MOBO so much cheaper than the asrock I listed? I thought that asus was a knock off or subsidiary of asrock and wasn't that good and that asrock was generally regarded better?

As far as I know it's the other way around, except when it comes to customer service. Asus has great components and parts but if they ever break you're pretty much SoL since their support is junk.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC: