Holy S**T Comcast does something right

Donut417

https://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Comcast-Says-50-of-its-Traffic-Will-be-IPv6-by-Years-End-137331

Im happy to see these bastards do something right for once. As the largest Cable Provider they had push and hopefully they can get more IPv6 support. This is the one and only reason to have a slight bit of respect for them. Hopefully other companies are able to learn from there example. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

6 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

https://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Comcast-Says-50-of-its-Traffic-Will-be-IPv6-by-Years-End-137331

Im happy to see these bastards do something right for once. As the largest Cable Provider they had push and hopefully they can get more IPv6 support. This is the one and only reason to have a slight bit of respect for them. Hopefully other companies are able to learn from there example. 

you could post about this in the tech news / reviews section

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

22 minutes ago, Energycore said:

you could post about this in the tech news / reviews section

Only if it follows the Posting Guidelines for Tech News.

This is not "Oh Camcast does something right", type of situation. They are switching to IPv6 because they have 0 choice. We are out of IPv4 addresses.

Many ISP worldwide already switched to IPv6 long ago, where they are using both IPv4 and IPv6 for compatibility purposes.

8 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Only if it follows the Posting Guidelines for Tech News.

This is not "Oh Camcast does something right", type of situation. They are switching to IPv6 because they have 0 choice. We are out of IPv4 addresses.

Many ISP worldwide already switched to IPv6 long ago, where they are using both IPv4 and IPv6 for compatibility purposes.

Yeah but look at other ISP's they are not. ATT, Verizon or any other for that matter. Comcast is the first American ISP to make a big deal about it. I dont think ATT or Verizon for that matter have started deploying IPv6. 

so.. i just want to mention that my ISP has been waiting on the rest of the world for the last few years until they can finally turn off their IPv4 infrastructure.

i had IPv6 before most school curriculums were changed to teach students about IPv6.

3 minutes ago, manikyath said:

so.. i just want to mention that my ISP has been waiting on the rest of the world for the last few years until they can finally turn off their IPv4 infrastructure.

i had IPv6 before most school curriculums were changed to teach students about IPv6.

Comcast dual stacks. So I get IPv6 and v4 addresses. Companies like ATT have deployed carrier based NAT to help with the lack of IPv4 addresses. 

2 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Comcast dual stacks. So I get IPv6 and v4 addresses. Companies like ATT have deployed carrier based NAT to help with the lack of IPv4 addresses. 

well.. i had dualstack since the windows vista era :P

its good you guys are catching up, but you're not very fast at doing so.

last year i actually had the chance of talking to a software developer at my ISP (he works on the custom firmware for the modems) and among other things i asked his opinion about the whole IPv4 thing. his statement was rather hilareous:

"yeah.. we have had everything in place for quite some time, it's now just waiting for our international collegues to catch on"

followed with some references to the USA military that still runs off of winXP, and some other general joking around as you do on a tech-oriented meetup.

21 hours ago, manikyath said:

well.. i had dualstack since the windows vista era :P

its good you guys are catching up, but you're not very fast at doing so.

last year i actually had the chance of talking to a software developer at my ISP (he works on the custom firmware for the modems) and among other things i asked his opinion about the whole IPv4 thing. his statement was rather hilareous:

"yeah.. we have had everything in place for quite some time, it's now just waiting for our international collegues to catch on"

followed with some references to the USA military that still runs off of winXP, and some other general joking around as you do on a tech-oriented meetup.

Up till recently American nuclear missiles were controlled with 5 1/4 inch floppy disks. So yeah. We need to catch up.  The issue in the US is our businesses are ran by greedy bastards calling themselves human beings. 

1 minute ago, Donut417 said:

Up till recently American nuclear missiles were controlled with 5 1/4 inch floppy disks. So yeah. We need to catch up.  The issue in the US is our businesses are ran by greedy bastards calling themselves human beings. 

rather have 5 1/4 floppies and disconnected from the internet than connected to the internet and virus-ridden.