PCI bus question

Hello,

So I currently have filled every single pci slot on my motherboard.  I am wondering if this is bottlenecking the PCI bus?  I have a sound blaster z sound card, 2 gtx 660's in sli, my wifi nic card, and a ocz revodrive x2.  Is it possible to be maxing out the PCI bus?

What's your CPU?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Sorry my other computer specs are:

i5 3570k @4.5 Ghz

8 GB of RAM @ 2100 MHz

2 TB HD

120 GB OCZ Vertex 3

Technically I think you mean PCI-E not PCI. PCI means Peripheral Component Interconnect while PCI-E means Peripheral Component Interconnect Express. Most modern motherboards have just one PCI slot if it has any at all the rest being PCI-E.

The cake is a lie!!! -- but the muffins are genuine.

Technically I think you mean PCI-E not PCI. PCI means Peripheral Component Interconnect while PCI-E means Peripheral Component Interconnect Express. Most modern motherboards have just one PCI slot if it has any at all the rest being PCI-E.

True, so any opinion on the question at hand?

I believe Ivy Bridge has 20 PCIe lanes in the PCIe controller. Your SSD is likely plugged into the x4 slot at the bottom of the board. With your cards and the SSD plugged in, it comes out to 20 PCIe lanes. PCIe x1 and PCI slots are controlled by the Southbridge. Therefore, there is no bottlenecking going on.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

You may have filled your lanes, but I don't think the bandwidth will be bottlenecked. Your sound card and wifi card will not use much bandwidth at all. Your GPUs will be using most of the bandwidth, and while you are using them heavily, I doubt much will be going on with your Revodrive :D

Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Intel Core i7 4790k | Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming GT                              Notebook: Dell XPS 13

16GB Kingston HyperX Fury | 2x Asus GeForce GTX 680 OC SLI | Corsair H60 2013

Seasonic Platinum 1050W | 2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB RAID 0 | WD 1TB & 2TB Green                                 dat 1080p-ness

Ivy Bridge has 16 PCIe 3.0 lanes from the CPU, and 8x secondary PCIe 2.0 lanes from the Z77 chipset.

Not sure what your motherboard config is but I'll assume the standard 3 x16 slots (which will be running at x8/x4/x4 if all populated) and 3-4 x1 slots which will all be run at x1 through the chipset.

Basically, you're probably fine.