6800k vs 6850k

Hello everyone. 

So basically am looking forward building a new high-end PC. It will be running two GTX 1080 (probably STRIX). On the new ROG STRIX motherboard. When talking about the CPU tho I need some help. The only noticeable difference between these two CPU are the PCIe Lanes (28 vs 40). Am going to be running two cards in SLI, one sound card and m.2 drive so I don't know which CPU to pick. I am looking for opinions and help. Thank you

Greetings from Bosnia.

Not going need the extra PCIe lanes of the i7 6850K with that setup. Opt for the cheaper i7 6800K, no need to spend extra.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

Yup, I'd go for the 6800K. Would run the GTX1080s at 8x though, not that it matters since they won't even bottleneck at 8x

I'm going to be running a 950 pro m.2 pcie ssd and 2x gtx 1080 on a 6700k perfectly fine, so your 6800k will be more than enough mate.

x8 and x16 makes no difference in fluidness/fps. There are a few videos on youtube about it already. Maybe if you are GPUs are really old it might, but that is not the case here.

7800x3d - RTX 4090 FE - 64GB-6000C30 - 2x2TB 990 Pro - 4K 144HZ

PCPP: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/mdRcqR

Basicly the 6800K will be sufficient.

But ofc having the extra lanes of the 6850K would not hurt if you ever have any planes to expend more on pci-e storage.

If not, then the 6800K would be fine.

2 hours ago, iiNNeX said:

I'm going to be running a 950 pro m.2 pcie ssd and 2x gtx 1080 on a 6700k perfectly fine

Except when both your GPUs and SSD are using all the bandwidth, either your second GPU is gonna suffer at 4x or your SSD not running at 1500MB/s speeds :P 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

29 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Except when both your GPUs and SSD are using all the bandwidth, either your second GPU is gonna suffer at 4x or your SSD not running at 1500MB/s speeds :P 

The SSD doesn't need to run at 1500mb/s while both GPUs are running anyway so that's okay. No need to waste more money on a CPU which is slower than mine just for the extra pci-e lanes.

1 minute ago, iiNNeX said:

The SSD doesn't need to run at 1500mb/s while both GPUs are running anyway so that's okay. No need to waste more money on a CPU which is slower than mine just for the extra pci-e lanes.

Just saying...I doubt you would be playing a triple A while having another Nvme drive and doing transfers over a 10Gbit network :P 

1 minute ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Just saying...I doubt you would be playing a triple A while having another Nvme drive and doing transfers over a 10Gbit network :P 

No I wasn't... or maybe... maybe I will in the future.. maybe I will conquer America after defeating Trump in a wrestling match.. or maybe I talk a lot of Sh** :D

No I wasn't... or maybe... maybe I will in the future.. maybe I will conquer America after defeating Trump in a wrestling match.. or maybe I talk a lot of Sh** :D

Hold a second, just re-read your post before...

4 minutes ago, iiNNeX said:

a CPU which is slower than mine

Ermmm...that's not exactly true, it's faster single core wise as the 6700k has better IPC but a 5820k/6800k will destroy the 6700k with all 6c/12t utilised :P Plus also with most 5820k, you can quite easily dial in a 4.2Ghz OC without a too beefy of a cooler either (a 5820k runs cooler than a 3570k...just keep that in mind...)

5 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Hold a second, just re-read your post before...

Ermmm...that's not exactly true, it's faster single core wise as the 6700k has better IPC but a 5820k/6800k will destroy the 6700k with all 6c/12t utilised :P Plus also with most 5820k, you can quite easily dial in a 4.2Ghz OC without a too beefy of a cooler either (a 5820k runs cooler than a 3570k...just keep that in mind...)

No game does or will use all the cores and threads on the 5820k in the near future, and 4.2ghz is pretty weak considering my 6700k runs at 4.8 on 1.35v and that was with the EK Predator 360 I had, so on my custom loop and once I delid it I expect perhaps 4.9-5 with 1.4v? We'll see though, either way 4.8 annihilates most processors in games and that is what I built the system for.

Now if the OP wants to use it for anything other than games then yes of course the X99 platform will be faster :)

No game does or will use all the cores and threads on the 5820k in the near future, and 4.2ghz is pretty weak considering my 6700k runs at 4.8 on 1.35v and that was with the EK Predator 360 I had, so on my custom loop and once I delid it I expect perhaps 4.9-5 with 1.4v? We'll see though, either way 4.8 annihilates most processors in games and that is what I built the system for.

Now if the OP wants to use it for anything other than games then yes of course the X99 platform will be faster :)

my 5820k gets to 4.5Ghz 1.31v without sweating...

1 minute ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

my 5820k gets to 4.5Ghz 1.31v without sweating...

Sounds like you have a good chip. I saw a test on youtube between skylake and current X99 lineup all at 4.5ghz and the 6700k was ahead in terms of FPS (strictly gaming).

46 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

28 lanes

2 GPUs at 8x 

that's 16 lanes

12 lanes left

3 SSDs at 4x

used all your lanes with no slowdowns

3 minutes ago, mikat said:

28 lanes

2 GPUs at 8x 

that's 16 lanes

12 lanes left

3 SSDs at 4x

Exactly, plus I am pretty sure the 950 Pro should use the chipset pcie lanes not the CPUs ?

41 minutes ago, mikat said:

28 lanes

2 GPUs at 8x 

that's 16 lanes

12 lanes left

3 SSDs at 4x

6700k, not 5820k/6800k xD 

38 minutes ago, iiNNeX said:

Exactly, plus I am pretty sure the 950 Pro should use the chipset pcie lanes not the CPUs ?

CPU lanes

2 minutes ago, mikat said:

ow i thought you were talking about x99 :P

Nope :D 

Thank you all! Helped me a lot. I'll be going with 6800K :D

37 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

6700k, not 5820k/6800k xD 

CPU lanes

The Core i7-6700K, and all the other Skylake CPUs, offers 16 PCIe 3.0 lanes. The chipset offers additional PCIe lanes separately from that. For the Z170 chipset, that's 20 PCIe 3.0 lanes, a huge boost over Z97 which had just 8 PCIe 2.0 lanes. Luke was just saying 20 lanes, which is not really correct; there is a kernel of truth to it though, because while the chipset offers all those lanes, it's still only connected to the CPU by a DMI 3.0 link that's equivalent to 4 lanes of PCIe 3.0 (in addition to the 16 lanes directly from the CPU). Still, you can hook up lots of PCIe 3.0 SSDs to the chipset just fine without affecting lanes for the GPU(s). Just don't expect RAID0 to give you like 10GB/s combined bandwidth.

As for the Core i7-5820K, it offers the well-known 28 PCIe 3.0 lanes directly from the CPU. But again, the chipset offers additional PCIe lanes. In this case, X99 is far inferior to Z170, because it only offers 8 PCIe 2.0 lanes (just like Z97).

So the 6700k will be completely fine with 2 cards and the pci-e ssd running at full tilt :)

Damn you for making me research this when I wanted to make tea instead :(