What is BOTTLENECK?

Go to solution Solved by DrMacintosh,
1 minute ago, Renz Julian said:

OW nice. i get it now. Thanks dude :D

Plz mark someone as solved so I can sleep and my phone will shut up xD

I don't get it the word bottleneck, i read some forums here and i don't know what bottleneck is. can you teach what it is? ty ty

th.jpg

that

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

2 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

th.jpg

that

lol, can you pls explain it to me?

basicly, a system (be that a computer, a manufacturing line, traffic, pooring water into a glass) always has a single "slowest" point that decides how fast the end result will go.

Exactly how it sounds.

Picture pouring out a bottle of coke. It doesn't all come out at once thanks to the top of the bottle, which is bottlenecking liquid.

In computer-related scenario, picture an old ass dual-core CPU platform from like, year 2000 running with a GTX 1080 - it's not going to perform very well in games because the CPU for one isn't allowing the video card to perform to it's fullest, since the entire system needs to be able to work together and not against each other.

That example is unrealistic because a platform from 16 years ago won't be compatible with a GTX 1080, but you get the idea now I think.

3 minutes ago, Renz Julian said:

its pretty self explanatory, you can throw tons of frames at your monitor, but if your CPU is slow and cant process them quick enough, you wont get many frames.  

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

1 hour ago, Renz Julian said:

When you have 5 1080s in SLI and you have an i3 and try to play gta 5 on 4k. Or in other words, where you have more graphic power than computing power and the bad cpu brings down the graphics cards capability and you don't see as good of performance, because graphics cards isnt everything in gaming.

Ariana Grande's Leaked Nudes!!!111!11!

Spoiler

Ayyyyyy

Gaming Rig:     CPU:  i5-4690k  Cooler:  H80i  Mobo:  MSI z97 PC MATE  RAM:  16gb Fury White  Storage:  1TB WD + 120gb Fury SSD  GPU:  GTX 970  Case:  NZXT S340  PSU:  NEX 650W  Keyboard:  K65 RGB  Mouse:  Mionix Naos 7000  Headphones:  ATH-M50x  Monitor:  2x VN248h-P + 1x MG248q  Setup Photo:  (To come)

1 minute ago, iNoa97 said:

When you have 5 1080s in SLI and you have an i3 and try to play gta 5 on 4k. Or in other words, where you have more graphic power than computing power and the bad cpu brings down the graphics cards capability and you don't see as good of performance, because graphics cards isnt everything in gaming.

ow i get it.

4 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

Exactly how it sounds.

Picture pouring out a bottle of coke. It doesn't all come out at once thanks to the top of the bottle, which is bottlenecking liquid.

In computer-related scenario, picture an old ass dual-core CPU platform from like, year 2000 running with a GTX 1080 - it's not going to perform very well in games because the CPU for one isn't allowing the video card to perform to it's fullest, since the entire system needs to be able to work together and not against each other.

That example is unrealistic because a platform from 16 years ago won't be compatible with a GTX 1080, but you get the idea now I think.

well, it goes the other way around as well, if you have a 6700k combined with a GTX970, the majority of games will max out the 970 before the 6700k, thus the 970 is the "bottleneck"

3 minutes ago, iNoa97 said:

i get it now. ty :)

2 minutes ago, manikyath said:

well, it goes the other way around as well, if you have a 6700k combined with a GTX970, the majority of games will max out the 970 before the 6700k, thus the 970 is the "bottleneck"

I understand your point, but that only goes for certain scenarios. Maybe a 970 is just what the person needs/wants for gaming and the i7 was essential for a different workload.

so when your Processor is poor, just like a dual core proc. and your video card is high end graphics like gtx 1080, then that is the bottleneck? and what happen if that case happen?

1 minute ago, Kloaked said:

I understand your point, but that only goes for certain scenarios. Maybe a 970 is just what the person needs/wants for gaming and the i7 was essential for a different workload.

yes, but the 970 *is* the bottleneck in gaming.

the word bottleneck means one part of a "production process" is maxed out, hence the other parts cannot work faster.

its not a matter of need/want, its a matter of which part is maxed out, that's where the "bottleneck" is.

the reason in the computer world "bottlenecking" is generally used to describe pairing a fast gpu with a cpu that'll most likely not keep up is because it's seen as an "ideal" to have you gpu be the "bottleneck".

2 hours ago, Renz Julian said:

so when your Processor is poor, just like a dual core proc. and your video card is high end graphics like gtx 1080, then that is the bottleneck? and what happen if that case happen?

You got it. And when it happens you're just ljust wasting money on a more expensive card and you would be seeing about the same performance from a cheaper with the same processor. Make sure to balance out your cpu and gpu prices. Some people don't pay attention to the cpu like its not as important.

Ariana Grande's Leaked Nudes!!!111!11!

Spoiler

Ayyyyyy

Gaming Rig:     CPU:  i5-4690k  Cooler:  H80i  Mobo:  MSI z97 PC MATE  RAM:  16gb Fury White  Storage:  1TB WD + 120gb Fury SSD  GPU:  GTX 970  Case:  NZXT S340  PSU:  NEX 650W  Keyboard:  K65 RGB  Mouse:  Mionix Naos 7000  Headphones:  ATH-M50x  Monitor:  2x VN248h-P + 1x MG248q  Setup Photo:  (To come)

16 minutes ago, manikyath said:

yes, but the 970 *is* the bottleneck in gaming.

the word bottleneck means one part of a "production process" is maxed out, hence the other parts cannot work faster.

its not a matter of need/want, its a matter of which part is maxed out, that's where the "bottleneck" is.

the reason in the computer world "bottlenecking" is generally used to describe pairing a fast gpu with a cpu that'll most likely not keep up is because it's seen as an "ideal" to have you gpu be the "bottleneck".

It's only a bottleneck if the system isn't performing well for its intended purpose. Some systems may need an i7 for some tasks that have nothing to do with gaming, but the 970 is there for some casual gaming.

Again though, I get what you're saying, and I agree with you. I just think it's not the best example for this explanation since a 970 isn't a terrible card for gaming in the first place.

17 minutes ago, Renz Julian said:

Yes.

The video card won't be able to perform like it should perform. It's the reason reviewers use the highest spec CPU (overclocked 6-core CPUs seem to be the ones used IIRC) that they can when they benchmark video cards, even though it's unrealistic for real world cases where gamers usually have i5 or i7 Intel CPUs - I completely disagree with this test methodology personally but it does relieve the CPU performance bottleneck so they can show just how good the video cards are when performing to their fullest.

6 minutes ago, iNoa97 said:

You got it. And when it happens you're just ljust wasting money on a more expensive card and you would be seeing about the same performance from a cheaper with the same processor. Make sure to balance out your cpu and gpu prices. Some people don't pay attention to the cpu like its not as important.

1 minute ago, Renz Julian said:

Plz mark someone as solved so I can sleep and my phone will shut up xD

It's only a bottleneck if the system isn't performing well for its intended purpose.

wrong.

it's the bottleneck, you just dont care that it is.

a bottleneck isnt negative, it is a fact. everything you have done today has a bottleneck, because if it didnt it'd all go at infinite speed.

2 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

It's only a bottleneck if the system isn't performing well for its intended purpose. Some systems may need an i7 for some tasks that have nothing to do with gaming, but the 970 is there for some casual gaming.

Again though, I get what you're saying, and I agree with you. I just think it's not the best example for this explanation since a 970 isn't a terrible card for gaming in the first place.

Yes.

The video card won't be able to perform like it should perform. It's the reason reviewers use the highest spec CPU (overclocked 6-core CPUs seem to be the ones used IIRC) that they can when they benchmark video cards, even though is unrealistic for real world cases where gamers usually have i5 or i7 Intel CPUs - I completely disagree with this test methodology personally but it does relieve the CPU performance bottleneck so they can show just how good the video cards are when performing to their fullest.

I get it now :) THANK YOU DUDE!

2 minutes ago, manikyath said:

everything you have done today has a bottleneck, because if it didnt it'd all go at infinite speed.

This is exactly the problem - you're way overthinking this.

More power to you, though.

This is exactly the problem - you're way overthinking this.

More power to you, though.

its not that i'm overthinking this, its that i'm legitimately annoyed that probably a good 1000 of my posts are me trying to explain the concept of bottlenecking, that "does <processor> and <gpu> bottleneck" doesnt have a yes/no answer, and that bottlenecking in itself isnt even a problem.

4 minutes ago, manikyath said:

its not that i'm overthinking this, its that i'm legitimately annoyed that probably a good 1000 of my posts are me trying to explain the concept of bottlenecking, that "does <processor> and <gpu> bottleneck" doesnt have a yes/no answer, and that bottlenecking in itself isnt even a problem.

Sorry, man.