should i do the xeon mod?

Poll  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Should I do the LGA 771 to 775 Xeon mod on this board?

• Yes! you have nothing to lose
    • NO! because there is too much risk involved

14 minutes ago, Jonathan Lemmens said:

I have used modded BOISes from the link agent_x007 mentioned before and I must warn you, I've bricked 2 mobo's with a BIOS from that site, though I updated 3 others successfully. So I would advise to do it yourself if you feel confident about it.

Just to be clear :
Did you flashed that "bricked ones" from Windows or by using BIOS/DOS tools ?
There is a note about that former approach :

If you want to reduce bricked , please running flash either from within a dos environment or from within a bios own tools(ex : asus ezfash).
I don't like running flash bios in windows environment.  It might be bricked.

CPU : Core i7 6950X @ 4.26 GHz + Hydronaut + TRVX + 2x Delta 38mm PWM
MB : Gigabyte X99 SOC (BIOS F23c)
RAM : 4x Patriot Viper Steel 4000MHz CL16 @ 3042MHz CL12.12.12.24 CR2T @1.48V.
GPU : Titan Xp Collector's Edition (Empire)
M.2/HDD : Samsung SM961 256GB (NVMe/OS) + + 3x HGST Ultrastar 7K6000 6TB
DAC : Motu M4 + Audio Technica ATH-A900Z
PSU: Seasonic X-760 || CASE : Fractal Meshify 2 XL || OS : Win 10 Pro x64

18 minutes ago, Jonathan Lemmens said:

Making a custom BIOS is pretty easy and not at all time consuming, especially for an AMI BIOS. (though I believe your Gigabyte board uses an Award BIOS)

I have used modded BOISes from the link agent_x007 mentioned before and I must warn you, I've bricked 2 mobo's with a BIOS from that site, though I updated 3 others successfully. So I would advise to do it yourself if you feel confident about it.

Also I would chose to mod the CPU instead of the socket but it doesn't really matter, just my preference. 

i hear that gigabyte has a dual bios thing that prevents bricking your bios or something like that idk. i saw the way you mod the award bios and i dont think i have the skills to do it. so now i have to take a risk at that website. i always flash my BIOS either though the tool in the BIOS or through MSDOS via USB stick. 

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." -Albert Einstein

1 minute ago, agent_x007 said:

Just to be clear :
Did you flashed that "bricked ones" from Windows or by using BIOS/DOS tools ?
There is a note about that former approach :

Yeah, I always flash using the BIOS tools. I didn't even know it's possible to flash a BIOS from windows :|

One of the two bricked ones was a acting a bit strange even before I flashed it, so that one might have been bricked anyway.

The second one was for a GA-P35-DS4, that one was just fucked up, I later checked this (when I learned to mod the BIOS myself) it had waaaay more microcodes in there than necessary, but this was about 1,5 years ago so it may have been fixed now.

20 minutes ago, Jonathan Lemmens said:

Yeah, I always flash using the BIOS tools. I didn't even know it's possible to flash a BIOS from windows :|

One of the two bricked ones was a acting a bit strange even before I flashed it, so that one might have been bricked anyway.

The second one was for a GA-P35-DS4, that one was just fucked up, I later checked this (when I learned to mod the BIOS myself) it had waaaay more microcodes in there than necessary, but this was about 1,5 years ago so it may have been fixed now.

how the heck do you mod an award BIOS? can you help me with that. i dont want my board to be bricked. 

though on the website there is a screenshot of CPUz proving that the custom bios works for my specific motherboard. 

http://genius239239.myweb.hinet.net/771/success/GA-EP45-UD3R/

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." -Albert Einstein

2 minutes ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

though on the website there is a screenshot of CPUz proving that the custom bios works for my specific motherboard. 

http://genius239239.myweb.hinet.net/771/success/GA-EP45-UD3R/

In that case it should probably be ok.

11 minutes ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

how the heck do you mod an award BIOS? can you help me with that. i dont want my board to be bricked. 

You have to use a tool called CBROM in which you are presented with only a command prompt to do all the modding. I can't easily explain how to use it, this link gives some basic info and a link to download it. http://www.lejabeach.com/CBROM.html 

You should do some research on how to mod the BIOS for your specific mobo and CPU, if you have questions after that, I'd be happy to answer them if I can.

Also, on many P45 chipsets the CPU works fine even without a BIOS mod, it might give you a message to "update the BIOS to unleash the CPU's full potential" but at stock speeds or a mild OC it's just fine.

If you want to OC to 4GHz or beyond, then a BIOS mod is required.

14 minutes ago, Jonathan Lemmens said:

In that case it should probably be ok.

You have to use a tool called CBROM in which you are presented with only a command prompt to do all the modding. I can't easily explain how to use it, this link gives some basic info and a link to download it. http://www.lejabeach.com/CBROM.html 

You should do some research on how to mod the BIOS for your specific mobo and CPU, if you have questions after that, I'd be happy to answer them if I can.

Also, on many P45 chipsets the CPU works fine even without a BIOS mod, it might give you a message to "update the BIOS to unleash the CPU's full potential" but at stock speeds or a mild OC it's just fine.

If you want to OC to 4GHz or beyond, then a BIOS mod is required.

i hope the premodded bios is a good one and doesnt brick my board.. i still havent gotten my X5460 in yet. should i flash the BIOS now or wait till it comes in on monday or tuesday. 

3 minutes ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

i hope the premodded bios is a good one and doesnt brick my board.. i still havent gotten my X5460 in yet. should i flash the BIOS now or wait till it comes in on monday or tuesday. 

You should always flash the with a proper 775 CPU installed, after you flashed it the pc will reboot. Then you'll go to the BIOS again and click "load optimised settings" and save and exit the BIOS. After that you can swap the CPU.

Despite this, I would wait to flash the bios until you get your Xeon in the mail. It is general practice when modding a BIOS for Xeons to also (re)insert the microcodes for regular 775 CPU's, so the mobo will still support your current CPU. However if this premodded BIOS is made to only support Xeons you might run into issues with the current CPU installed. 

Note: Pentium CPU's are never supported after such a BIOS mod, but who cares? :P 

1 minute ago, Jonathan Lemmens said:

You should always flash the with a proper 775 CPU installed, after you flashed it the pc will reboot. Then you'll go to the BIOS again and click "load optimised settings" and save and exit the BIOS. After that you can swap the CPU.

Despite this, I would wait to flash the bios until you get your Xeon in the mail. It is general practice when modding a BIOS for Xeons to also (re)insert the microcodes for regular 775 CPU's, so the mobo will still support your current CPU. However if this premodded BIOS is made to only support Xeons you might run into issues with the current CPU installed. 

Note: Pentium CPU's are never supported after such a BIOS mod, but who cares? :P 

lol i have a q9300 in there so i dont have to worry about it. so i wait for the CPU to come in the mail then flash the BIOS and after its done i power off the system and swap CPUs right? 

lol i have a q9300 in there so i dont have to worry about it. so i wait for the CPU to come in the mail then flash the BIOS and after its done i power off the system and swap CPUs right? 

Yes, but remember to "Load optimised settings" after the flash but before you swap the CPU

Yes, but remember to "Load optimised settings" after the flash but before you swap the CPU

ok ill remember to do that. if this works how much do you think i can sell the PC for if i were to OC to 4.0GHz 

2 minutes ago, Jonathan Lemmens said:

and again after you've installed the Xeon by the way

11 minutes ago, Jonathan Lemmens said:

and again after you've installed the Xeon by the way

wait how much do you think i can sell the PC for if i got the Xeon to work in here and OCed it to 4.0GHz. 

ok ill remember to do that. if this works how much do you think i can sell the PC for if i were to OC to 4.0GHz 

That highly depends on where you live, check a Ebay or whatever to see if other people are offering roughly the same PC and match their price, or go a little lower te be competitive.

I've sold a couple of PC's in the past and in my experience, people who don't know anything about overclocking think that it is dangerous and unreliable (some even think it's illegal, lol :P) and are therefore reluctant to buy this. The people who know about overclocking are generally aware of the low prices of these CPU's and maybe even want to OC it themselves rather than buy a pre-overclocked PC. 

When I sell a PC like this, I'll have it advertised at stock speed and mention in the description that the CPU is verified to OC to xx GHz. 

4 minutes ago, Jonathan Lemmens said:

That highly depends on where you live, check a Ebay or whatever to see if other people are offering roughly the same PC and match their price, or go a little lower te be competitive.

I've sold a couple of PC's in the past and in my experience, people who don't know anything about overclocking think that it is dangerous and unreliable (some even think it's illegal, lol :P) and are therefore reluctant to buy this. The people who know about overclocking are generally aware of the low prices of these CPU's and maybe even want to OC it themselves rather than buy a pre-overclocked PC. 

When I sell a PC like this, I'll have it advertised at stock speed and mention in the description that the CPU is verified to OC to xx GHz. 

i see the board go on ebay for around $100 to $150 for them alone. i think i might be able to make around $250 to $200 for the entire PC. 

1 minute ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

i see the board go on ebay for around $100 to $150 for them alone. i think i might be able to make around $250 to $200 for the entire PC. 

That sounds like a fair price. But parts sold separately always make more money than the sum of those parts in a built PC.

That sounds like a fair price. But parts sold separately always make more money than the sum of those parts in a built PC.

i know but idk anyone who would buy an old 775 board. most people on craigslist are cheap asses so i really have no choice but to sell it as a whole for cheaper. plus i wont be including a HDD. but remeber i got the entire PC for free on CL so now all i have to do is do the xeon mod on it rebuild and sell for profit basically. i made $400 off a dual xeon build by selling on CL and now i hope to get $200 or $250 for this build so i can save up to do a new build when AMD release Zen or when intel releases Kaby Lake 

3 minutes ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

i know but idk anyone who would buy an old 775 board

I buy 775 boards, so you do now :D But not for $100-150 though......

Since you got that PC for free I'd say, just sell it to the highest bidder. 

I buy 775 boards, so you do now :D But not for $100-150 though......

Since you got that PC for free I'd say, just sell it to the highest bidder. 

yeah basically anything higher than $24 lol since thats how much it cost to build it lol. i guess something is better than nothing... 

15 hours ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

Hi so today on craigslist i got a free computer and when i brought it home and opened the side panel i was surprised to see a high end p45 LGA 775 motherboard, high end radeon GPU of its time, high tier PSU, good CPU cooler, and 4gb of high speed DDR2 memory. so now the only thing missing is the HDD which i have plenty of. so my question now is should i buy a cheap X5460 Xeon and do the Xeon mod on this board? ive done the mod once and it worked this is a high end board so i should be able to get really high overclocks with the xeon cpu. plus the whole point of this is so i can sell the PC back at a higher profit like maybe $200 or $300. the only thing i have to pay for is the Xeon cpu. i already have the mod stickers so should i do the mod? 

You got the PC for free. You have the stickers. This shouldn't be a question. Do it.

Almost breaking sig rules 1.0

yeah basically anything higher than $24 lol since thats how much it cost to build it lol. i guess something is better than nothing... 

If no one is willing to pay a reasonable price, just keep it and use it as a LAN-gaming machine or maybe a 'console-killer' 

2 minutes ago, TeoIzAwezome said:

You got the PC for free. You have the stickers. This shouldn't be a question. Do it.

Yeah, we're way ahead of you....

1 hour ago, Jonathan Lemmens said:

If no one is willing to pay a reasonable price, just keep it and use it as a LAN-gaming machine or maybe a 'console-killer' 

Yeah, we're way ahead of you....

What would you consider to be a reasonable price though 

10 hours ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

What would you consider to be a reasonable price though 

I wouldn't go lower than $175.

If you could upgrade to 8GB of RAM this PC will become much more attractive.....

5 hours ago, Jonathan Lemmens said:

If you could upgrade to 8GB of RAM this PC will become much more attractive.....

I basically said in my listing that I can upgrade it to 8gb at an additional cost. Ironically I seen many people able to sell their potato PC on Craigslist for $300 

6 hours ago, Jonathan Lemmens said:

Basically I'm going to do what most people on Craigslist do and start at a pretty high price like $300 and see if anyone replies and after a week gradually lower the cost 

On 7/9/2016 at 1:25 AM, Jonathan Lemmens said:

today the Xeon X5460 came in the mail. i updated the BIOS to the custom one and then turned the system off. then i applied the mod sticker onto the 771 cpu and installed it into my 775 board. turned on system and volla it worked now i have a faster xeon running in this board. now i have to see if im missing any instuction sets and if im not look at my baseline temps then OC the xeon right to 4.0GHz and test for stability.