Planning a new build(Green/black scheme) Looking for suggestions/advice.

Go to solution Solved by Reuben,

Alright so this is gonna be a long post but hang in there. I'm not leaving any details out because I plan to order these parts in the next couple weeks and I need to know for sure my plan is the best option.

So as the title suggests, I am looking at a green/black build. I am looking at 4th gen and 700 series gpu. (3rd gen and 600 series is what a friend has and quite honestly it's good but I don't want to mimic it and I'd feel better buying the latest as I'm coming from sandy bridge with a i5-2320 processor and 500 series gpu)

BUDGET: $1700 roughly.....willing to go to $2000 but time is an issue here so closer to 1700 the better as I want this asap and a 2-300 dollar jump would delay me quite a bit

This is my plan so far:

Case: Corsair 750d (want a nice window to show off the internals----doesn't have to be large just clear and non-obstructed)  ----- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139024&Tpk=corsair%20750d

Motherboard: Asus z87 Plus (wanted sli ready and brand preference for asus is fairly high in my eyes)---- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131980

Processor: i7 4770k - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116901

Power Supply: TX-modular 750w (the yellow/gold lettering on side of psu will match mobo......I think) ----- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139030

Gpu: GTX 760 - not sure what brand yet (leaning towards EVGA with ACX cooler as I've had good luck with them in the past and color is black to match mobo and theme) ----- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130933

RAM: 16gb(2x8gb) - Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz or 1866 ($10 difference on newegg) ------Black model CMZ16GX3M2A1866C9   or CMZ16GX3M2A1600C9 ----- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233246

HDD:  2 TB Western Digital Black 7200rpm -----

SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 128gb (I have believed this to be one of the best ssd's on the market but suggestions are welcome)

Other plans: 1.  http://www.xoxide.com/ for green fans, led light strands, etc. (other website suggestions here are welcome)

2. Corsair green pre-sleeved cables for the psu (not confident in sleeving cables myself and also don't have time to do it myself nor the money in risk of burning something) This is not negotiable. I want a corsair psu with green pre-sleeved cables unless some cable-sleeving master wants to unleash a simple and noob-friendly way of doing it upon my mind although time is still a factor for me and I'd rather just avoid it for now....

Things I have looked into: 1. I have seen the Phantom NZXT case(green/black) and loved it but it isnt compatible with fans other than the fans from NZXT(weird dimensions for fan mounting) and that is not in the least bit an option for me as I will be putting in green LED fans later on from xoxide.

What I really want advice and help on:

COLOR SCHEME: I went with some yellow/gold items(PSU lettering and mobo) and although this isnt green or black I love asus and their mobo's and felt I couldn't leave them. Gold/yellow seemed the best option to mix with green and black. Any alternatives would be welcome if some awesome ideas are out there to achieve a green/black build. I'd like to keep the mobo at $170 or less and the power supply about $170 also.

Case:  I'll be honest here.....haven't looked much at cases.....Linus did that video on the 750d and it seemed awesome and cable management with hard drive space is important to me. Not really a brand preference. As I said before i saw the phantom but the fans were an issue I'm not willing to deal with. Again I'd like to keep this around $150 or less. The 750d was the exception because I really felt like I was getting my money but if I raise my budget a bit on everything soon I'll gain an easy $200 above my planned budget which i would like to avoid.

MOBO: As I mentioned in the "color scheme" section, Asus is the mobo I chose mostly because of brand preference. Any suggestions are welcome but I couldn't find a mobo that really fit my scheme with my price range and I feel like my plan would make the mobo work more than anything else I have seen(such as a red or blue mobo). SLI compatible is a necessity for future upgrades please.

Power Supply: Never Understood what to look for in a power supply except a single 12v rail with 60+ and modular(and of course 6-pin/8-pin connectors). Corsair for the pre-sleeved cables is necessary. I saw the CX-750 modular and the green would fit the scheme but I also saw that it is their lowest grade so I felt I should avoid it..... Depending on mobo I also felt the TX-750 modular would match the asus mobo and complement each other with the yellow lettering/gold pci and other components(I think, hard to tell color combinations from product pictures).

The AX power supplies really seemed an incredible option but not sure if the fully modular is worth it unless the corsair pack comes with all the cables in green(http://www.corsair.com/en/power-supply-units/psu-accessories-1/professional-individually-sleeved-dc-cable-kit-type-3-generation-2-green.html). Please double check this and it may be worth it- don't know what cables i'm looking for or need lol.... The thing with the AX is the red on the side of the psu, but there has to be a way to cover that up neatly so ideas for that would be welcome if the you think the AX is worth it.....

PLEASE DOUBLE CHECK COMPATIBILITY FOR ME IF POSSIBLE(I have links to everything I am planning so this would be helpful if you have time)

I realize this is asking a lot but I just want to know this build will follow scheme and be long-lasting.

BUYING PLAN: I plan first to buy a case, psu, and gpu (hopefully this weekend) so I can move my current setup into the new case with the new psu and gpu for a temporary upgrade until I have enough to buy the rest in one clean sweep. (An upgraded dell inspiron with i5 sandy, 6 gb of ram, and 560 gtx is what i am using now)

ANY SUGGESTIONS YOU HAVE I WANT TO KNOW WHY YOU SUGGEST IT TO ME........(curiosity and also so i have confidence in buying it)

Thanks Everyone in advance!!!! I'll be checking this every time I'm home and awake so conversation is welcome! Any info I may have left out or any detail you need to know from me just let me know!

You say geen/black but it seems you've switched to gold/yellow and black

Corsair 600T White | Gigabyte Z77-UD3H | Intel Core i5-2500k | 8GB Gskill Ares@1600MHz | Gigabyte G1 GTX970 | OCZ ZT 550 | Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB (boot) | Full Custom Loop | NZXT HUE

Yeah green with yellow/gold will look weird imo, have you looked into the MSI gaming edition mobos? Pretty sure they're green

Edit: Oops, not green. Not sure which one I'm thinking of

Me: Yeah I just really can't get my H220 working again, I've tried everything that was suggested in the forum.

Brian (Swiftech Support): Hmm, have you tried slapping it?

Yeah green with yellow/gold will look weird imo, have you looked into the MSI gaming edition mobos? Pretty sure they're green

They're actually red.

Will this build be used exclusively for gaming? If that's your plan, you could drop to a 4670K with 8GB RAM.

if you want a green and black colour themed build i would suggest a Gigabyte Motherboard.  

It will be for primarily gaming but i want to be able to make videos and stream and that is why i'm going with the i7. Thought it would help in those regards. And as for color scheme I REALLY want green and black but I adjusted to green/gold/black because purely green and black seems tough to achieve in my budget and scarcity of green parts doesn't help. gigabyte motherboards are an option but I have seen and heard multiple bad reviews on their mainstream boards and I don't really wanna jump to a 300 dollar mobo like the sniper. Is there an all black mobo from another company I could look at in the 180-200 range???

1700 with a 760 GTX?

):

My thought exactly. Different stroke for different folks, I suppose.

I love that build Reuben! And I love pcpartpicker. That top ATX build looks like a winner atm. I'm gonna leave this forum goin for another day to see if any other suggestions are made but I'm falling in love with it.

So these posts of a 760 in a $1700 build...... what is your suggestion?

I love that build Reuben! And I love pcpartpicker. That top ATX build looks like a winner atm. I'm gonna leave this forum goin for another day to see if any other suggestions are made but I'm falling in love with it.

So these posts of a 760 in a $1700 build...... what is your suggestion?

A better GPU. If you went with a gold theme, you could probably get a 770 in there.

You could go mITX with an i5 and a 7990 for that price...
http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Shrubpig/saved/2tjX Go with this. It might not be for looks, but it sure is for performance.

EDIT: updated the parts list, the case was incompatible.

| i5-4670k @ 4.2Ghz | Corsair H100i | Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H | Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB | ASUS Geforce GTX 770 |

| Samsung 840 Pro 128GB | WD Black 1TB | Corsair AX760 | Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/ Window | Corsair AF140 x2 |

| Windows 8.1 | ASUS 23" 1080p monitor | CM Storm Quickfire Stealth- MX Blue | Logitech G9x | Logitech G930 |

You could go mITX with an i5 and a 7990 for that price...

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Shrubpig/saved/2tjX Go with this. It might not be for looks, but it sure is for performance.

Not only does that PSU not fit in the case you chose, it isn't really enough power to run a 7990. Also, a 7990 would get hot as hell in that case. Would a 7990 even fit in that case?

Not only does that PSU not fit in the case you chose, it isn't really enough power to run a 7990. Also, a 7990 would get hot as hell in that case. Would a 7990 even fit in that case?

I've seen it somewhere I think... lol, he could switch it out with a prodigy. I like the sg05 because it's small :P

| i5-4670k @ 4.2Ghz | Corsair H100i | Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H | Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB | ASUS Geforce GTX 770 |

| Samsung 840 Pro 128GB | WD Black 1TB | Corsair AX760 | Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/ Window | Corsair AF140 x2 |

| Windows 8.1 | ASUS 23" 1080p monitor | CM Storm Quickfire Stealth- MX Blue | Logitech G9x | Logitech G930 |

Actually the 770 is only a $150 price jump. I think I'll just take on that jump and just keep the scheme..... I made a big deal out of that but i guess graphics power would be worth it. And looking at builds of green theme I just want it too much to go away from it completely. So I'll just do 770 instead of 760 on the ATX build you gave me and then i guess another rough $75 for green fans, lights, and green sata cables.

My next question is this: should i consider getting an air cooler for the i7? or is it okay to avoid at the beginning and only add later if I overclock?

Actually the 770 is only a $150 price jump. I think I'll just take on that jump and just keep the scheme..... I made a big deal out of that but i guess graphics power would be worth it. And looking at builds of green theme I just want it too much to go away from it completely. So I'll just do 770 instead of 760 on the ATX build you gave me and then i guess another rough $75 for green fans, lights, and green sata cables.

My next question is this: should i consider getting an air cooler for the i7? or is it okay to avoid at the beginning and only add later if I overclock?

The stock cooler is a bit loud, but certainly usable.

Alright thanks Reuben and everyone else who contributed! I think I have it nailed down. I'll just use the stock cooler to begin with.

750d, 4770k, gigabyte sniper mobo, vengeance at 1600 for 16gb, samsung evo ssd 250gb, 2 tb hdd, evga 770 2gb card(acx cooler), corsair rm-750w, colored cables for psu(later upgrade probably), green fans, green led strands, and green sata cables.

Gonna order the case, gpu, and psu tomorrow since it's pay day!

Ow shoot, im to late. :(

I absolutely love green/black builds. So i'll post anyway! I hope you didn't bought that motherboard yet.  

I think that motherboard you got there is insanely over priced. If you spend 1700$ I would call myself stupid if I didn't had an 780 or R9-290x in that system. 

Here is my kick at it. This has everything in it, aside from the CPU cooler. (I would suggest the h100i or if you can get it, swiftech h220) You could even go down abit in price and take a 600/650W PSU. I doubt you will SLI later on, when you are better off to just sell the 780 and get the R11-999x or 980.  

With green paint you could even consider to paint the little dust parts you get with the sabertooth green. And you could consider to paint the thermal armor black. A matt black that is. Or glossy, whatever floats your boat. 

CPU:  Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($224.99 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard:  Asus SABERTOOTH Z87 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($234.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage:  Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk  ($99.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage:  Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($84.98 @ Outlet PC) 
Video Card:  EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card  ($655.91 @ Newegg) 
Case:  Corsair 750D ATX Full Tower Case  ($175.98 @ Newegg) 
Case Fan:  Cooler Master SickleFlow 69.7 CFM 120mm  Fan  ($4.99 @ NCIX US) 
Other: Bitfenix Alchemy LED White ($21.99)
Other: Green Paint - See comment.  ($10.00)
Other: Bitfenix Alchemy 8Pin PCI-E - Green ($8.99)
Other: Bitfenix Alchemy 8Pin EPS - Green ($7.99)
Other: Bitfenix Alchemy 6Pin PCI-E - Green ($8.99)
Other: Bitfenix Alchemy 24Pin - Green ($11.99)
Total: $1783.72
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-10-04 07:10 EDT-0400)

Here is why I picked the parts; 

CPU: i5 is perfect for gaming, if you want to get the i7, then you better be sure you make use off it. Editing/rendering. 

Mobo: You like Asus, it's insanely solidly build. And it will fit your color scheme nicely (it aswell just looks badass) 
GPU: 1700$ = you better get the 780 in it.

RAM: You don't need 16gb for gaming, if you do need it, then go ahead and buy 2 kits off that. 

PSU: You want to be sli ready, so thats why the 750W. (But read comment above!) I wanted to go 850W to be safe. Just for budget I took the 750. The only thing im afraid off is OC'ing both GPUs and CPU. but well, should still be fine.  

Case: Your call.
Storage: 2TB + 128GB. I could not fit the 250GB ssd into the budget. 

Cables: Bitfenix their cables are one off the best cables you can buy. I would suggest you to not use green sata cables. But have a look at frozenCPU here. They have alot off cables! 

Case fans: They are badass for their price, just get them. Green LEDs aswell to fit the theme.

Remember 1 thing, to much off a color isn't going to be that nice. For the lightning I would suggest this:

Other: Green Paint - See comment.  ($10.00)
Total: $56.94
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-10-04 06:19 EDT-0400)

Buy some green paint. And paint the top mesh on the 750D green! Will give it a nice touch at least. 

NZXT Phantom windowed, Asus Z77 Sabertooth, Intel 2600K, Noctua NH-D14, EVGA 780 Classified, Crucial Ballistic Tactical, Crucial M4 128GB + Samsung 850 EVO, Corsair RM850, Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty Peripherals: Sennheiser HD598, FinalMouse Classic, SteelSeries Qck Heavy, Ducky Shine Zero (MX Brown), AOC G2460PF & Qnix QX2710

Build Log: Phantom - Antique Noctua

If you are going green then get the Corsair C70 Vengeance for the case

AMD FX-8350 @ 4.7Ghz when gaming | MSI 990FXA-GD80 v2 | Swiftech H220 | Sapphire Radeon HD 7950  +  XFX Radeon 7950 | 8 Gigs of Crucial Ballistix Tracers | 140 GB Raptor X | 1 TB WD Blue | 250 GB Samsung Pro SSD | 120 GB Samsung SSD | 750 Watt Antec HCG PSU | Corsair C70 Mil Green