New Skylake Server Build

Hi all,

I am looking to build a new server. My current one is linked in my signature. I am upgrading mainly because I would like more memory and expansion.

Here is the build I have come up with:

Motherboard: Asus P10S-E/4L
CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1240L v5 2.1 GHz quad core 8MB cache /w hyperthreading
RAM: 2x Crucial 32GB Kit (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2133 ECC UDIMM
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L9x65
Case Fans: 3x Noctua NF-A14 140mm 3pin
Case: Fractal Design R5
PSU: Fractal Design Edison M 450W

I will be reusing my LSI 2008 reflashed HBA, 8x 4TB WD Reds and 2x Intel DC 120GB SSDs from my current server for storage.

I will be using FreeNAS OS with some virtualized Linux machines plus Windows 10 machine for torrent seed box.

I would like to get some feedback (good or bad) on my proposed build from the community :)

Cheers, Alex

Unless the server is going to be visible, do you really need such a fancy case? I believe there are other options with the same or more HDD capacity for a cheaper price.

Main System Specs:

• Intel Core i5 6500 3.2GHz CPU
  • Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H Motherboard
  • Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB 2400MHz, Gskill Ripjaws 8GB
  • Asus GTX 1060 Turbo
  • Kingston HyperX Savage 240GB SSD
  • Seagate 1TB NAS Grade HDD x2
  • Thermaltake NiC F3 Cooler
  • EVGA Supernova 750 G2 Power Supply
  • NZXT S340 Red/Black Case
  • Noctua NF-F12 Fan x2

Laptop Specs:

• Intel Pentium N3700 CPU
  • 4GB Kingston RAM
  • Intel HD Graphics
  • Windows 10 Home

Peripherals:

• Microsoft Wired 600 KB
  • Dell 2003 Mouse
  • HP Compaq LA2206x Monitor
  • Logitech X530 5.1 Speakers
  • Roland RH-5 Headphones

Consider something like what I'm running with Dual Xeon E5-2670's on an Intel C2600CP4. 16 cores and 32 threads will likely be enough for whatever your needs may be.

Sergeant, United States Marine Corps

Network Administrator, Comptia A+, Security+, Cisco Certified Networking Associate

From a G3258 to dual Xeon E5-2670's

14 minutes ago, Warning said:

Unless the server is going to be visible, do you really need such a fancy case? I believe there are other options with the same or more HDD capacity for a cheaper price.

from the looks of it he already has the R5 for his current server.

on topic: from some crude napkinmath, that cpu wont be much of an upgrade in power over the old one, if not slower.

(not sure if you care about that, just mentioning it)

also, is there a reason you specificly want windows for your seedbox? it kinda sounds like a waste of resources to me. from a quick google freenas has a torrent plugin you could use.

i'm also a bit unsure about your motherboard of choice. is there a reason why you went for that specific board?

14 minutes ago, manikyath said:

from the looks of it he already has the R5 for his current server.

on topic: from some crude napkinmath, that cpu wont be much of an upgrade in power over the old one, if not slower.

(not sure if you care about that, just mentioning it)

also, is there a reason you specificly want windows for your seedbox? it kinda sounds like a waste of resources to me. from a quick google freenas has a torrent plugin you could use.

i'm also a bit unsure about your motherboard of choice. is there a reason why you went for that specific board?

I have used Windows in the past for my seedbox for ease of access etc. I setup teamviewer on there so I can browse the web and manage torrents, shares, other systems remotely.

The CPU is about equivalent speed to my current E3-1226 v3 due to hyper-threading, although CPU speed is not an issue at this stage.

I chose the Asus board for compatibility reasons, plus 2x M.2 slots, plus 4x ethernet nics. Most (if not all) Supermicro motherboards for LGA1151 have the Ethernet ports orientated in reverse making it very difficult to unplug Ethernet cables connected to the Define R5. A very small issue I know and could also be fixed with non clipping cables. I have used a lot of Supermicro boards, they are great value for money. I would like to try something new though.

30 minutes ago, Jacktastic-Mofo said:

Consider something like what I'm running with Dual Xeon E5-2670's on an Intel C2600CP4. 16 cores and 32 threads will likely be enough for whatever your needs may be.

The E5-2670 Xeons are an old architecture and power hungry (230w total TDP for 2x CPU vs 25w on the 1240L) and I don't need that much CPU power anyway. If I was building a workstation then maybe.

3 minutes ago, alex75871 said:

I have used Windows in the past for my seedbox for ease of access etc. I setup teamviewer on there so I can browse the web and manage torrents, shares, other systems remotely.

The CPU is about equivalent speed to my current E3-1226 v3 due to hyper-threading, although CPU speed is not an issue at this stage.

I chose the Asus board for compatibility reasons, plus 2x M.2 slots, plus 4x ethernet nics. Most (if not all) Supermicro motherboards for LGA1151 have the Ethernet ports orientated in reverse making it very difficult to unplug Ethernet cables connected to the Define R5. A very small issue I know and could also be fixed with non clipping cables. I have used a lot of Supermicro boards, they are great value for money. I would like to try something new though.

the motherboard was mostly just a question to make sure you're aware you're buying a mobo most likely far more expensive than it needs to be :P

that said, have you considered 32GB memory dimms? they are actually pretty good value in the DDR4 space, and would allow you to upgrade to 128GB in the futere. (doubt that'll be necessary tho :P)

2 minutes ago, manikyath said:

the motherboard was mostly just a question to make sure you're aware you're buying a mobo most likely far more expensive than it needs to be :P

that said, have you considered 32GB memory dimms? they are actually pretty good value in the DDR4 space, and would allow you to upgrade to 128GB in the futere. (doubt that'll be necessary tho :P)

Unfortunately Skylake architecture is limited to 64GB RAM :(

3 minutes ago, alex75871 said:

Unfortunately Skylake architecture is limited to 64GB RAM :(

RIP :/