My first build!

Dwood180

So I have finally decided to take the plunge and build my ultimate gaming machine! 

Ill start with the specs-

Intel i7 6850K

Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 gaming

MSI X99A Gaming pro carbon

Corsair HX850i 850W

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB m.2 SSD

Phanteks enthoo evolv ATX tempered glass 

Corsair dominator platinum 16GB 3200mhz

Acer Predator X34 

I will also be doing a custom water cooling loop using EKWB parts (still waiting for the parts to ship)

This is what I have collected so far.

image.jpeg

That i7 is way overkill. You will get the same performance with the 6700K or even an i5.

2 minutes ago, mathmeister said:

That i7 is way overkill. You will get the same performance with the 6700K or even an i5.

And?

Overkill or not, it's a great rig :P and an i5 would bottleneck the 1080 depending on the game. 

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

1 minute ago, TheRandomness said:

And?

Overkill or not, it's a great rig :P and an i5 would bottleneck the 1080 depending on the game. 

Wouldn't the 6700K be a better pick then? It's half the price

2 minutes ago, mathmeister said:

Wouldn't the 6700K be a better pick then? It's half the price

And a different socket. If he already has it, he may as well keep it

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

The i7 6850k is a better overall CPU than the i7 6700k and if you are trying to use the pc for more than just gaming a ultra high resolutions than it will prove good. Also it is better future proofed and you will have less performance degradation as it is a newer processor.

I am justi going to say that it would have been better if you just got the 6800k, because you won't see any difference unless you go sli/crossfire/multiple pci stuff. But if you're going to get another 1080 and maybe another m.2, then it's worth it.

5 minutes ago, Zeinone said:

-snip-

True that. Would have saved about 100-120$ or 100€. But hey, performance and if he wants to have that, :P

Groomlake Authority

30 minutes ago, mathmeister said:

27 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

And?

16 minutes ago, Zeinone said:

I am justi going to say that it would have been better if you just got the 6800k, because you won't see any difference unless you go sli/crossfire/multiple pci stuff. But if you're going to get another 1080 and maybe another m.2, then it's worth it.

Yes in about 6 months time (about when I wouldn't mind doing a flush of the water loop) I will be adding another 1080. The computer will also be used for editing so I don't think the 6850 is overkill. And if you have the money why not go for better gear?

7 minutes ago, Dwood180 said:

Yes in about 6 months time (about when I wouldn't mind doing a flush of the water loop) I will be adding another 1080. The computer will also be used for editing so I don't think the 6850 is overkill. And if you have the money why not go for better gear?

No need to flush out an AiO. 

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

13 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

No need to flush out an AiO. 

I'm doing a custom loop with colored coolant

2 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

Oops

I must've been confused with a previous build

All good :) I have just put my order through to EKWB now so just have to wait for it to arrive! 

31 minutes ago, Dwood180 said:

Just thought it was for gaming, the 6850 will be great for editing

24 minutes ago, mathmeister said:

Just thought it was for gaming, the 6850 will be great for editing

All good, can't wait for the EKWB parts to arrive so I can start the build!

So my EKWB order has been delayed due to some parts not been in stock (even though the were in stock when I ordered it a week ago and it all still says in stock on the site) so I decided to just get a cheap CPU air cooler so I can at least build most of it now and be able to use it until I get the water cooling parts. I start my course in 2 days so kinda need the computer working for that. So here goes nothing!

Anyone who is saying that CPU is overkill ... there is no such thing as overkill for PC xD 

After few years, it will be concidered as normal CPU.

But do you have only 2 sticks of ram?

I would get at least 4 in your case, so it will look better xD Right now it looks kinda emšty on that picture.

8 would be perfect, but that might cost you more than you are prepared to spend.

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

On 7/6/2016 at 5:28 AM, VivashTech said:

The i7 6850k is a better overall CPU than the i7 6700k and if you are trying to use the pc for more than just gaming a ultra high resolutions than it will prove good. Also it is better future proofed and you will have less performance degradation as it is a newer processor.

5820K or 6800K would be a lot less and still be on par. 

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

2 hours ago, Simon771 said:

Anyone who is saying that CPU is overkill ... there is no such thing as overkill for PC xD 

After few years, it will be concidered as normal CPU.

But do you have only 2 sticks of ram?

I would get at least 4 in your case, so it will look better xD Right now it looks kinda emšty on that picture.

8 would be perfect, but that might cost you more than you are prepared to spend.

I will be adding more ram as I can :)

13 minutes ago, Dwood180 said:

I will be adding more ram as I can :)

Cool :) 

You probbably don't need more RAM, but it will just look better xD

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

Well I'm all up and running....kinda. I just need to work out how to install all the drivers for the mobo and GPU since I don't have a disc drive and I can't seem to connect to wifi