Overclocking Failed message at boot after installing GTX 1080

YoungStarDCx

Hi everyone,

Today, I was lucky enough to get my hands on a GTX 1080 Gigabyte Gaming G1. After installing it in my computer and booting, I get an overclocking failed message. 

I have an overclocked 5930K, however, this problem did not occur before I installed the 1080. Unfortunately I don't have my old card to test (GTX 980ti Gigabyte Gaming G1). It's also interesting that whenever I enter the BIOS (it prompts me to press F2 to go to the BIOS on the overclocking failed screen) and just exit without changing anything, it DOES boot normally.

Specs:

• Intel Core i7 5930K @4.2Ghz 
  • GTX 1080 Gigabyte Gaming G1
  • 16 GB Corsair Vengeance 2800hz (running at 2133 though)
  • ASUS X99-PRO motherboard

If anyone can help, that would be very much appreciated! Please also let me know if you need any more information.

Does it keep happening?

If not, don't worry about it.

If so, try reseting cmos and redoing your overclock to clear the message.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

@Curufinwe_wins Thank you for your reply!

It doesn't happen after every restart but I've had it happen 2 times now. If it doesn't happen again, I will let it go. If not, I'll take your advice and clear the CMOS.

I do wonder, however, do you know what the cause is exactly?

3 minutes ago, brcdncn said:

I thought different power draw, but I'm guessing your 980Ti was more hungry than the 1080?

Yeah, it was more power hungry. The 1080 uses a single 8 pin connector, the 980ti was 6 + 8 (6+2).

8 minutes ago, YoungStarDCx said:

@Curufinwe_wins Thank you for your reply!

It doesn't happen after every restart but I've had it happen 2 times now. If it doesn't happen again, I will let it go. If not, I'll take your advice and clear the CMOS.

I do wonder, however, do you know what the cause is exactly?

So sometimes improper seating of the graphics card, or just swapping them out can cause issues randomly (although they should resolve themselves).

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Same thing happens on my Asus Z170A when I switch GPUs for some reason.  I just go into bios, exit without saving and everything is normal.

1 minute ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

So sometimes improper seating of the graphics card, or just swapping them out can cause issues randomly (although they should resolve themselves).

I see. I fitted in the same slot as the 980Ti and I carefully, but firmly, pressed down on the card to make sure it was fitted properly in the PCIe slot, so I don't think that is the problem. It also performs fantastically well in any game I throw at it without an overclock so...

Hopefully it will resolve itself. Since I was new to overclocking when I build this PC, it took me quite some time to get it stable. I don't look forward to going through that process again to be honest, even if it isn't that hard..:')

3 minutes ago, YoungStarDCx said:

I see. I fitted in the same slot as the 980Ti and I carefully, but firmly, pressed down on the card to make sure it was fitted properly in the PCIe slot, so I don't think that is the problem. It also performs fantastically well in any game I throw at it without an overclock so...

Hopefully it will resolve itself. Since I was new to overclocking when I build this PC, it took me quite some time to get it stable. I don't look forward to going through that process again to be honest, even if it isn't that hard..:')

Well the settings should be identical, you just might need to reenter them.

Like I had to do it when I updated my bios for BW-E support. I didn't even bother checking stability just entered the same voltage and clock settings.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

1 minute ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

Well the settings should be identical, you just might need to reenter them.

Like I had to do it when I updated my bios for BW-E support. I didn't even bother checking stability just entered the same voltage and clock settings.

Yeah I will write down all settings specific to the overclock so I can easily re-enter them.