ASUS ROG STRIX GTX1080 8G vs O8G

manchonator

Hello,

ASUS ROG STRIX GTX1080 8G

vs

ASUS ROG STRIX GTX1080 O8G

After doing a LOT of research, the information about these 2 models is still quite confusing for me...

In ASUS' official website, both products are listed with the exact same pictures for both the box and the card itself, and in the description they both show the same GPU Tweak II tool with XSplit were you can clearly see in both cases that there is an "OC Mode".

Some websites talk about the 8G model (having the letters "OC" avoided in all the text) describing it as having an OC mode, others describe the same talking specifically about the OC model but not the "normal" model...

I then decided to get in touch with ASUS tech. support, and the person who attended me had to go and look for the information I was asking... After a few minutes, and a few back and forth Q&A in order to be 100% sure that we both understood each other, here is the conclusion that they had on my doubt (although this particular person did not seem to have the ideas too clear):

- ASUS ROG STRIX GTX1080 8G:    has 2 modes preconfigured (and NOT manually tweekable) GAMING mode & OC mode (with the overclock settings that they advertise as OC mode in their website)

- ASUS ROG STRIX GTX1080 O8G: In this case the Overcloking can be done just as the "normal" model, but it additionally supports manual OC, and should be adjustable to several values of frequencies and memory speed.

They did assure me that the graphics cards themselves are identical, except that the OC version allows manual overclocking whereas the "normal" version can only be used in either of the 2 modes preconfigured (gaming or OC).

Can anyone confirm/reject any of the statements above, or can anyone confirm what are the real differences between these 2 aparently identical models...?

Thank you so much in advance.

KR,

laEncarna

The only difference should be in the out of the box frequency.

All GPU's can be manually overclocked. Cheers.

6 minutes ago, Hunter-97-G said:

The only difference should be in the out of the box frequency.

All GPU's can be manually overclocked. Cheers.

That is what I thought... If the cards are identical they can be overclocked equally...

In such case, for the "normal" model, even if it comes with the base frequency out of the box, would I be able to set it to this preconfigured "OC mode" easily (with a profile selection in the software) or are we then talking about manually tweeking frequencies, voltages and so on?

Thanks again

Both models come with the same software and if you look in the top picture (on this website: http://www.asus.com/event/VGA/GPU-Tweak-II/), there is a tab with "OC Mode", which is what you are looking for. 

1 hour ago, HydraGaming said:

Both models come with the same software and if you look in the top picture (on this website: http://www.asus.com/event/VGA/GPU-Tweak-II/), there is a tab with "OC Mode", which is what you are looking for. 

Indeed that's what I thought when I saw it... but my chat with ASUS tech support was very confusing  (specially seen that the agent didn't know much about that product...) and selling the same card with the same software under 2 different "models" (and different price here in Spain...) just having a different profile loaded out of the box seemed also odd to me...

Now it's all clear and I won't be paying (or waiting availability for that matter) more just for a preloaded profile...

Thanks a lot to both!

Do you have one of those? Would you recomend it over the other existing 1080 choices? (I don't really care about noise, I ALWAYS use headphones for gaming)

11 minutes ago, laEncarna said:

Indeed that's what I thought when I saw it... but my chat with ASUS tech support was very confusing  (specially seen that the agent didn't know much about that product...) and selling the same card with the same software under 2 different "models" (and different price here in Spain...) just having a different profile loaded out of the box seemed also odd to me...

Now it's all clear and I won't be paying (or waiting availability for that matter) more just for a preloaded profile...

Thanks a lot to both!

Do you have one of those? Would you recomend it over the other existing 1080 choices? (I don't really care about noise, I ALWAYS use headphones for gaming)

Well the Strix gtx1080 received a "Toppklass" (Top Class) award which is the highest award you can get (from Sweclockers).

It did perform better than MSI's card but MSI's card was a few decibels quieter (in their test).

8 minutes ago, HydraGaming said:

Well the Strix gtx1080 received a "Toppklass" (Top Class) award which is the highest award you can get (from Sweclockers).

It did perform better than MSI's card but MSI's card was a few decibels quieter (in their test).

Exactly, that's why I am picking this one in principle, because it is the one with the best performance in terms of fps, as mentioned I don't care about the noise, and the price is very similar to the other ones.

Thanks again!

I currently have the Strix GTX1080 08G and to be honest I have not compliants. it is extremely quit as the fans do not spin if the card is not under load and provided the temps are under 50C. 

In terms of performance well straight out of the box without any overclocking my card boosts up to between 2050Mhz and 2100Mhz and mantains that consistently. Temps also never exceed 60C and still it is dead quit.

For some context I stay in Namibia (Africa) and althou it is currently winter here our ambient temps are still around 20C - 24C.

I have been playing The Division at max settings with my card mostly and my experience has generally been good.

1 key caveat the silicon lottery will obviously impact performance marginally depending on the chip that you get.

I was just about to create a topic with the same matter :D, but I thought to myself "hmmm.... shorly none have asked this question , but lets just check to be shore" and surprise , this gentleman had already done the research, Thanks a lot :D!

On 7/5/2016 at 9:21 AM, Outs1d3r81 said:

I currently have the Strix GTX1080 08G and to be honest I have not compliants. it is extremely quit as the fans do not spin if the card is not under load and provided the temps are under 50C. 

In terms of performance well straight out of the box without any overclocking my card boosts up to between 2050Mhz and 2100Mhz and mantains that consistently. Temps also never exceed 60C and still it is dead quit.

For some context I stay in Namibia (Africa) and althou it is currently winter here our ambient temps are still around 20C - 24C.

I have been playing The Division at max settings with my card mostly and my experience has generally been good.

1 key caveat the silicon lottery will obviously impact performance marginally depending on the chip that you get.

Great! Thanks a lot for this feedback, I really wanted to hear from someone having tried it personally.

Pertaining to this topic, I've also heard that some AIB brands are using the stock PCB for their lower end models, while their higher priced models have custom PCB's. Does the 8G use a custom board like the 08G too here? Are they actually identical besides Bios'd OC profiles?

Also, is it the same with the 1070 version of this card? Still deciding whether or not to skimp by with a 1070 over the 1080 for 4K until Vega or 1080ti drop... Can't talk myself into paying 35-40% more for 15-20% more fps... especially in 4k, where the gains seem to be about 5 extra fps.

On 7/9/2016 at 9:26 PM, jkteddy77 said:

Pertaining to this topic, I've also heard that some AIB brands are using the stock PCB for their lower end models, while their higher priced models have custom PCB's. Does the 8G use a custom board like the 08G too here? Are they actually identical besides Bios'd OC profiles?

Also, is it the same with the 1070 version of this card? Still deciding whether or not to skimp by with a 1070 over the 1080 for 4K until Vega or 1080ti drop... Can't talk myself into paying 35-40% more for 15-20% more fps... especially in 4k, where the gains seem to be about 5 extra fps.

This shouldn't be the case, since you can tell (and Asus shows) that their "Auto Extreme Technology" built PCB comes on the Strix one way or another. Here's a video for reference.

On 10/07/2016 at 2:26 PM, jkteddy77 said:

Strix models are all custom PCB's....

My profile... HERE

Join the Disqussions... https://disqus.com/home/channel/techinquisition/

For any one that is interested, I have the 8G version (so not the one with the 'better' OC profile) and straight out of the box without touching anything it runs at 1898Mhz while the GPU Z in the asus tool lists the boost as 1693 Mhz (This is a hard coded value, and not reporting what the card is running).

I've just been looping Heaven Benchmark and it never drops below 1898Mhz at 63c.

Based on this, I would say the 08G version may be a bit of a waste of time.

2 minutes ago, Someone New said:

For any one that is interested, I have the 8G version (so not the one with the 'better' OC profile) and straight out of the box without touching anything it runs at 1898Mhz while the GPU Z in the asus tool lists the boost as 1693 Mhz.

I've just been looping Heaven Benchmark and it never drops below 1898Mhz at 63c.

Based on this, I would say the 08G version may be a bit of a waste of time.

Hi,

Since they are basically the same with a different pre-loaded configuration I did order the 8G "version" (as mentioned I found the O8G version being more expensive in my country...), so I totally agree with you in that sense.

The temperature is indeed pretty cool for the frequency (specially compared to the "Founder's edition" cards), I can't wait to get mine at last =)

Thanks for the input!

Sorry forgot to mention I'm referring to a 1070 but I assume the 1080 is the same.

• 2 weeks later...

So... I finally got the card, and I obviously am astonished by its performance... As a few of you wisely indicated, the difference between the GAMING mode and the OC mode are just one click away using GPU Teak II, so thank you for that.

I have a little concern though: all the reviews I have seen talk about a temperature between 66-68ºC at full load, and I am getting around 71ºC (I live in Spain, and we are currently at 37ºC all day long and the room is not air conditioned...). I have a Corsair 750D Airflow edition case, and all the temperatures monitored are doing just fine, but I am curious until what GPU temperature I should not be worried, specially during this incredibly hot season...

Thanks again!

4 hours ago, laEncarna said:

I have a little concern though: all the reviews I have seen talk about a temperature between 66-68ºC at full load, and I am getting around 71ºC (I live in Spain, and we are currently at 37ºC all day long and the room is not air conditioned...). I have a Corsair 750D Airflow edition case, and all the temperatures monitored are doing just fine, but I am curious until what GPU temperature I should not be worried, specially during this incredibly hot season...

Thanks again!

It's because of the warmer climate... here in Aus we also will get higher running temps in our Summer. That's why I prefer AIO/Water cooling on at least the CPU's. Although, definitely contemplating doing my next big upgrade in custom loop format.

My profile... HERE

Join the Disqussions... https://disqus.com/home/channel/techinquisition/

6 hours ago, Tech Inquisition said:

It's because of the warmer climate... here in Aus we also will get higher running temps in our Summer. That's why I prefer AIO/Water cooling on at least the CPU's. Although, definitely contemplating doing my next big upgrade in custom loop format.

Indeed that was the most straight forward reason, and I do have liquid cooling for the CPU (which runs no higher than 50º during a stress test for now).

Consequently, at what temperature should I start to be worried...? Hoping to never get to that point... =)

Thanks again!

3 minutes ago, laEncarna said:

Indeed that was the most straight forward reason, and I do have liquid cooling for the CPU (which runs no higher than 50º during a stress test for now).

Consequently, at what temperature should I start to be worried...? Hoping to never get to that point... =)

Thanks again!

I would not be worried at around 71C (I assume this is underload) taking into account that that the delta to the max operating temp of the card where it will start to throttle is still 23C (94C) and it therefore still well within the operating window. I live in Namibia (Just above South Africa) and it is currently winter here so the ambient is between 20 - 25 and my temps sit around the 60 - 68 mark and I am pretty sure that I will go into  the 70 ish range when it is summer (Ambient will be around 33 -35).

When you should become worried is when you start running into the high 80C temps IMO. I used to have a GTX770 OC and that card ran very hot and would hover around the 75 - 78 mark under full load and it is still running to years on.

FYI I also run an AIO (H100i GTX) on my CPU and its happy with its temps.  Also helps my GPU temps by a couple of degrees as the ambient inside the case is a couple of degrees cooler than it would have been with a traditional air cooler.

2 minutes ago, Outs1d3r81 said:

I would not be worried at around 71C (I assume this is underload) taking into account that that the delta to the max operating temp of the card where it will start to throttle is still 23C (94C) and it therefore still well within the operating window. I live in Namibia (Just above South Africa) and it is currently winter here so the ambient is between 20 - 25 and my temps sit around the 60 - 68 mark and I am pretty sure that I will go into  the 70 ish range when it is summer (Ambient will be around 33 -35).

When you should become worried is when you start running into the high 80C temps IMO. I used to have a GTX770 OC and that card ran very hot and would hover around the 75 - 78 mark under full load and it is still running to years on.

FYI I also run an AIO (H100i GTX) on my CPU and its happy with its temps.  Also helps my GPU temps by a couple of degrees as the ambient inside the case is a couple of degrees cooler than it would have been with a traditional air cooler.

Thanks a lot! That is definitely what I wanted to know. (and yes, the 71ºC is under heavy load during a long period of time)

We'll see again during the winter how cooler it runs, when the ambient can go down to -5ºC xD

• 1 month later...

Well just FYI, now the temperatures are finally dropping here in Spain (even if we are still at 28º during the day...), the GPU does not go higher than 65º after long gaming sessions =D

This beast is definitely impressive...

• 1 month later...
On 9/27/2016 at 6:19 PM, laEncarna said:

Well just FYI, now the temperatures are finally dropping here in Spain (even if we are still at 28º during the day...), the GPU does not go higher than 65º after long gaming sessions =D

This beast is definitely impressive...

Did you try to manually overclocking with the regular version? Because i think I will buy that if you can manually overclock it, since the OC version is out of stock everywhere.

Usually the O in those name is just overclocked out-of-the-box frequencies compare to the normal one. All gpus can be overclocked by using programs like afterburner, Firestorm, Tri-X and etc...

If you're not confident at OC, you could buy the more expensive version but it's worth learning by yourself and save some cash in the future.