Painting a Founders Edition GTX 1070?

cantalOPe

I'm thinking about painting the silver aluminium parts of the GTX 1070 Founders Edition white, so it matches my setup better. However, I am new to PC building in general, and even more so to modding PCs, so I was wondering how much disassembly and experience would be required for the task.

Thanks in advance.

Don't buy a Founders edition. Buy an aftermarket cooled card, it will be just as fast if not faster, it can be cheaper and your GPU will run cooler. 

just the screws on the sides

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

4 minutes ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

Don't buy a Founders edition. Buy an aftermarket cooled card, it will be just as fast if not faster, it can be cheaper and your GPU will run cooler. 

The thing is it's out of stock, and I only have a small window of time to buy my card, and it probably won't be back in stock before I have to order a card.

3 minutes ago, thekeemo said:

just the screws on the sides

Ok, thank you. That seems manageable for me :P

The Titan style coolers are very easy to take apart. The PCB stays completely attached to the heatsinks. Only the shroud is taken off, which is mainly just a few screws to take apart. 

I disassembled and painted my Titan Black. If you take your time, it's very easy to take apart. 

DNHRSWw.jpg

If you already bought the card and can't do anything about it, yes you can paint it, but I'd advise using something better than plastidip. You don't really need skills or tools. You just need a decent guide and lots of patience and delicacy. 

If you can still get an aftermarket GPU go for it. Blower cards do really suck indeed, thermals are meant just to get the card working (you can get much more performance if you have room to OC), and they are quite noisy indeed. It won't kill you wait a week for a new GPU ;) 

3 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

The Titan style coolers are very easy to take apart. The PCB stays completely attached to the heatsinks. Only the shroud is taken off, which is mainly just a few screws to take apart. 

I disassembled and painted my Titan Black. If you take your time, it's very easy to take apart. 

DNHRSWw.jpg

Ok, thank you for the advice. May I also ask what brand of heat resistant paint you used?

1 minute ago, cantalOPe said:

Ok, thank you for the advice. May I also ask what brand of heat resistant paint you used?

I didn't use heat resistant paint, as it's generally not needed. The metal parts of the cooler don't really have any heat dissipation functions, so they stay cool. 

I just used a general purpose matte black paint and it worked fine. 

you got the fonders addition for $100 extra just to paint it?

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

1 minute ago, DXMember said:

No man, didn't get it yet, but if the MSI Armor does't come back into stock soon, I may be forced to get it, since I only have a small window of time to get the card while I'm in the US.

57 minutes ago, cantalOPe said:

No man, didn't get it yet, but if the MSI Armor does't come back into stock soon, I may be forced to get it, since I only have a small window of time to get the card while I'm in the US.

ye.. probly still cheaper than anything in Europe...

have you considered crossfire 480s ?

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M

10 hours ago, DXMember said:

Well, I heard that its always best to get the best single card you can afford... or is there something I'm not aware of?

6 hours ago, cantalOPe said:

Well, I heard that its always best to get the best single card you can afford... or is there something I'm not aware of?

well... unless the cheaper dual cards absolutely rek it in everything especially DX12 titles

5 hours ago, DXMember said:

well... unless the cheaper dual cards absolutely rek it in everything especially DX12 titles

The card that I really wanted was the MSI 1070 Armor, which was out of stock, or listed at insane prices, so I went with the Founders. HOWEVER, just as I was about to write an email to SuperBizz support asking when the 1070 Armor would be back in stock, Massdrop made a drop for it :D I joined that. So that was pretty nice.