Logitech Gaming Software Question

I have a Logitech G602 mouse and I know I can set macros to different buttons on the mouse, but it also appears as though I can set different options for keystrokes on my keyboard as well.  I don't have a Logitech keyboard though so I don't know if that makes a difference.

For instance, I loaded up the profile for Shadow of Mordor, and the list of buttons on the left-hand side also included the various keys and their corresponding actions.  The reason I ask is because I had bought the game but couldn't play due to its default configuration with modifier keys and there is no way within the game to set toggle modifiers rather than hold.  If I could set the various modifier keys for stealth to toggle instead of hold, I might be able to play it.

My PC specifications are in my profile.

logitech actually does something really interesting with their mice, they do not connect to your pc "just as a mouse"

logitech mice connect to your pc as the following peripherals:

- a mouse, this serves the mouse features like left & right click, previous, next, scroll, and offcourse x/y movement.

- a keyboard, this serves the keyboard macros

- a seperate proprietary device that handles the logitech specific functions (gaming software interacts trough this)

the idea behind is that while it's a bit convoluted, it's very failsafe, since logitech gaming software can completely lock up and keep that proprietary device "hostage" and normal mouse operation is pretty much unaffected.

I have never heard of a non logitech peripheral working with the logitech gaming software.

Nice profile pic btw

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

48 minutes ago, manikyath said:

logitech actually does something really interesting with their mice, they do not connect to your pc "just as a mouse"

logitech mice connect to your pc as the following peripherals:

- a mouse, this serves the mouse features like left & right click, previous, next, scroll, and offcourse x/y movement.

- a keyboard, this serves the keyboard macros

- a seperate proprietary device that handles the logitech specific functions (gaming software interacts trough this)

the idea behind is that while it's a bit convoluted, it's very failsafe, since logitech gaming software can completely lock up and keep that proprietary device "hostage" and normal mouse operation is pretty much unaffected.

So, in theory I should be able to use the software to enable key toggles?  If so, that will help so much.  I have trouble holding down modifier keys since I don't have much fine motor movement in my left hand.

2 minutes ago, Michael McAllister said:

So, in theory I should be able to use the software to enable key toggles?  If so, that will help so much.  I have trouble holding down modifier keys since I don't have much fine motor movement in my left hand.

well, you can use the software to make your mouse buttons whatever you want.

you could even go in deep into the lua programming, and make a combination of button presses perform different functions, or "pre-select" a series of functions.

20 minutes ago, manikyath said:

well, you can use the software to make your mouse buttons whatever you want.

you could even go in deep into the lua programming, and make a combination of button presses perform different functions, or "pre-select" a series of functions.

It looks like you can also set keystroke toggles but I could be wrong about that.  I know you can set macros on the mouse but it be nice if the software would also allow me to do the same thing on the keyboard as well.

Some people have suggested that I try AutoHotkey but I'm not too familiar with that.  Not really good at writing scripts either.

It looks like you can also set keystroke toggles but I could be wrong about that.  I know you can set macros on the mouse but it be nice if the software would also allow me to do the same thing on the keyboard as well.

Some people have suggested that I try AutoHotkey but I'm not too familiar with that.  Not really good at writing scripts either.

logitech gaming software cant do very much for your keyboard, and for as far as i know logitech prefers to stay away from modifying the functions of the keyboard keys itself.

as for autohotkey... it is a very powerful piece of software... but it may just beat powershell on the top of my list of unnecessarily overconvoluted languages.

whatever the proponents of powershell say, there's NO reason to replace < with -le.

12 minutes ago, manikyath said:

logitech gaming software cant do very much for your keyboard, and for as far as i know logitech prefers to stay away from modifying the functions of the keyboard keys itself.

as for autohotkey... it is a very powerful piece of software... but it may just beat powershell on the top of my list of unnecessarily overconvoluted languages.

whatever the proponents of powershell say, there's NO reason to replace < with -le.

I'm not really sure why Nvidia and AMD haven't added something similar to AutoHotkey to their software suite.  With the GeForce Experience software they can use the GUI to change graphics configurations.  I'm surprised that they couldn't call the mouse and keyboard configuration settings into the software and allow you to combine keys or set toggles.  A lot of shooters, for example, don't have toggle aiming.  Some people prefer toggles for sprint as well.

Some games have sequences that require the player to mash a certain button.  Tomb Raider and Far Cry 3 come to mind.  I don't mind mashing so much if it's somewhat forgiving.  If it's insanely programmed, I usually can't do it.  Some are so bad that I've injured my fingers lol.

46 minutes ago, Michael McAllister said:

I'm not really sure why Nvidia and AMD haven't added something similar to AutoHotkey to their software suite.  With the GeForce Experience software they can use the GUI to change graphics configurations.  I'm surprised that they couldn't call the mouse and keyboard configuration settings into the software and allow you to combine keys or set toggles.  A lot of shooters, for example, don't have toggle aiming.  Some people prefer toggles for sprint as well.

Some games have sequences that require the player to mash a certain button.  Tomb Raider and Far Cry 3 come to mind.  I don't mind mashing so much if it's somewhat forgiving.  If it's insanely programmed, I usually can't do it.  Some are so bad that I've injured my fingers lol.

the thing about that nvidia geforce experience settings thing is that they achieve that by just -quite literally- manually adding hooks for the vareous games' config files, if the game doesnt have a config file to change keybinds, there's little to be done.

what you could do is have one of the thumb buttons on your mouse bind to several macros.

example:

double click means shift down (essentially "toggling" sneak) and to unsneak you just press the shift key briefly.

click and hold for a second means toggle aim, click briefly to untoggle aim, etc.

3 minutes ago, manikyath said:

the thing about that nvidia geforce experience settings thing is that they achieve that by just -quite literally- manually adding hooks for the vareous games' config files, if the game doesnt have a config file to change keybinds, there's little to be done.

With the GTX 10 series, they have introduced Ansel.  Couldn't Nvidia and AMD theoretically create an API that allows a developer to easily implement those options into their game?  For Ansel to work, the developer just needs to include a few lines of extra code that gives Nvidia's software permission to interact with world objects in order to show create those intricate screenshots.

The developer can have a default configuration and then Nvidia or AMD's API would allow the user to create game-based profiles which would take precedence over the default configuration such that those choices would correspond with key/button prompts.  Developing this obviously would obviously take a while but once it's created, game developers could allocate more of their time towards other aspects of development.

When I used to play on console, I made a similar suggestion over on the Xbox forums.  Unfortunately, the idea hasn't gained much traction even though I've seen several people on Steam wishing that they could change certain settings in whatever game they're playing.

5 minutes ago, manikyath said:

what you could do is have one of the thumb buttons on your mouse bind to several macros.

example:

double click means shift down (essentially "toggling" sneak) and to unsneak you just press the shift key briefly.

click and hold for a second means toggle aim, click briefly to untoggle aim, etc.

I'll probably try that.  I try to avoid using the side buttons because my hand sometimes bumps the G keys.

9 minutes ago, Michael McAllister said:

create an API that allows a developer

I'll probably try that.  I try to avoid using the side buttons because my hand sometimes bumps the G keys.

thats the issue right there, it *always* comes down to the developer implementing it, and for those that have ever seen the settings of talos principle, lacking settings is solely developer laziness.

and that accidential bumpage is why you use multiple clicks or a long hold to activate functions.

2 minutes ago, manikyath said:

thats the issue right there, it *always* comes down to the developer implementing it, and for those that have ever seen the settings of talos principle, lacking settings is solely developer laziness.

and that accidential bumpage is why you use multiple clicks or a long hold to activate functions.

If it's a matter of a few lines of code, they'd have to be extremely lazy.  I'm not a programmer.  That being said, I did run it by Jerry on Twitter to make sure I wasn't wishing for unicorns and rainbows.  He seemed very receptive to the idea at the time but said he didn't work in the Xbox department (before he was laid off obviously).

I can think of few cases at least where an API such as this would be extremely helpful and useful.  In Shadow of Mordor and Sleeping Dogs, for example, there are multiple abilities that are bound to one button.  Being able to unbind those and put them on separate functions would be nice.  There are other cases where a game calls for a modifier press before another action can take place.  Considering that keyboards have several keys, this development decision has always perplexed me.

In Metal Gear Solid V, there are two separate keys for aiming — hold one for the reticle and tap another for the weapon sight.  Seems like it would've been easier to have a small dot show up in the middle of the screen when a weapon is holstered or the character is unarmed and turn it into a reticle when switching to a weapon.

Having a universally customizable system would help to ease some of the incredibly poor design decisions that I've noticed.

they'd have to be extremely lazy

there's games that have hard-coded keybinds to specific lettering, which is exactly the same amount of work as hard-coded bindings to specific button locations on the keyboard.

some game devs seriously require a baseball bat to the back of the head to do the sensible thing.

3 minutes ago, manikyath said:

there's games that have hard-coded keybinds to specific lettering, which is exactly the same amount of work as hard-coded bindings to specific button locations on the keyboard.

some game devs seriously require a baseball bat to the back of the head to do the sensible thing.

To Microsoft's credit, with the Elite controller, they did include software to completely remap buttons.  Not sure if it's exclusive to that controller though.

Maybe I'm asking for too much.  I just think that if Nvidia and AMD were to do something like that, it would be another fantastic reason to use the PC over a console.  It would be incredibly customizable and help developers.  Considering how intricate Ansel is, Nvidia could definitely do it.

To prevent cheating in multiplayer games, the game developers could block certain options like aim assist or multi-function macros.  In Mortal Kombat, maybe a player really sucks at Fatalities, so they create a macro using the Nvidia software and bind it to a single key.  That's fine in single player but not allowed in multiplayer.