Extending Ethernet Cables

ryan9298b2

Okay.  I've come here, as no Google search I could think of turned up any results even relating to what I wanted.

I need to take something on the order of 40 cat 5e, (mix of solid and stranded), and extend them by about 15 feet.  An old network room was subdivided into a break space and the cables need to be run to the other half of the room.  I'm not looking to re-pull over 5,000ft of wire, but I can't seem to find a "best practice" if you will to extend them.  They are going to be coupled/spliced or whatever is recommended within a drop ceiling and then pulled into a server rack and into the back of a patch panel.

Any ideas, comments, suggestions, concerns are definitely welcome.

Thanks in advance guys.

8 minutes ago, ryan9298b2 said:

-SNIP-

For extending an existing cable that is terminated you can use a coupler like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Jadaol®-Ethernet-Shielded-Coupler-Female/dp/B01AZA4WGW/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1467531212&sr=8-8

There are also punch down versions if you don't want to termiante the ends with keystone jacks

BT-855BLKa.jpg

13 minutes ago, ryan9298b2 said:

Okay.  I've come here, as no Google search I could think of turned up any results even relating to what I wanted.

I need to take something on the order of 40 cat 5e, (mix of solid and stranded), and extend them by about 15 feet.  An old network room was subdivided into a break space and the cables need to be run to the other half of the room.  I'm not looking to re-pull over 5,000ft of wire, but I can't seem to find a "best practice" if you will to extend them.  They are going to be coupled/spliced or whatever is recommended within a drop ceiling and then pulled into a server rack and into the back of a patch panel.

Any ideas, comments, suggestions, concerns are definitely welcome.

Thanks in advance guys.

Are the existing lines terminated on a punch down block or are they RJ 45 terminated?

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Half were run straight into the switch, terminated with RJ45 and the other half were terminated into keystones and then snapped into a keystone patch panel.  

Would it be okay to use 15 ft patch cables and use the coupler for the RJ45 terminations, and the existing keystones for the other half, throw it all up in the ceiling and punch down the 15' patch cables to the back of the patch panel?

I am aware that it is better to terminate to RJ45 with stranded and punch down with solid cable, but ultimately if I take my time and ensure good connections, will it really make a difference?

I personally use those RJ45 modular jack to connect solid wire. Sometimes the contractor cut the wire too short from the ceiling (just 10 cm from ceiling, I was like, you think this is f****** light?). I just terminate it to modular jack, and connect it to the patch panel using patch cord. Still going strong after few years, even I cannot access it easily anymore since it is inside a false wall. I add some hot glue to the connector and use electrical wire to make the connection stronger.

8 hours ago, ryan9298b2 said:

-SNIP-

That's not a problem ideally a single run is best as it removes the possibility of bad connections possibility for interference and all of that but if done correctly you should have no problems. For stranded you might have some trouble using a punch down connectors so for those a keystone jack may be best.