How good is AMD's Crossfire performance?

TopWargamer

I've been thinking about going dual RX480s for my next GPU upgrade, but I'm not sure how well Crossfire performs. I know in the past it used to be less than stellar (from what I heard). Has it improved at all?

COMIC SANS

well, in a couple of games 2x 480s can beat the 1070/1080. but of course not every game will try to support CF/SLI. sometime CF will even be broken and not scale very well 

it all depends on the devs more or less... I doubt that amd or nvidia(for sli) will fix their shit for evey game that comes out....

Most people suggest that you get the single most power GPU in your budget and later down the line when you feel that you need the extra juice you can throw in another card (Or upgrade). Also if you play a lot of day 1 games, then running crossfire or SLI is not really ideal as most of those games don't have profiles yet usually.

But in terms of Crossfire vs SLI, usually crossfire scales better.

Build

Mobo: MSI B550 MAG Tomahawk  ||||| Ram: 32 GB GSkill Trident Z RGB ||||| CPU: Ryzen 5800X ||||| GPU: ASUS RTX 3080 TUF OC ||||| Mouse: Logitech G502 ||||| Headset: Sony WH1000XM3 ||||| Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum ||||| Monitors: Acer XG270HU & LG UltraGear 34GP83A-B ||||| AudioStuff: ONKYO DAC HA200 / Audio Techinca ath-ad900x / MXL TEMPO KR USB Condenser Microphone ||||| Storage: 4 TB WD Black --- 2 TB WD Red --- Toshiba 258 GB M.2  ||||| Custom Loop -  Radiators: 3x360 Rad ||||| Case: LianLi O11d XL Black ||||| PSU: Seasonic X series GOLD 1250w

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9570 4k With a Logitech MX Master

1 hour ago, TopWargamer said:

I've been thinking about going dual RX480s for my next GPU upgrade, but I'm not sure how well Crossfire performs. I know in the past it used to be less than stellar (from what I heard). Has it improved at all?

wait and consider the new devil imo: http://videocardz.com/61769/exclusive-powercolor-radeon-rx-480-devil-pictured

Crossfire is never a good option unless you want more power on top of your first card.

reason is because the amount of extra fps you get all depends on whether the game supports it.

Eg: tomb raider has no support for crossfire so the second gpu is not running in that game.

im going to run the same setuo crossfire with 480s but its a risky choice tbh bcuz u cant always trust the devs about everything