Upgrade from a fx-6300

My friend has a fx-6300 and wants a reccommendation for a upgrade in the near future. I don't know much about amd processors so im having a hard time reccommending him one. His price range $300 or less. Any reccommendations?

Unsure what power supply to pick?

Check out my HTPC build.

Quote me/others so we can help you

Comic sans is the best font

In Gaming, a lot of FX CPU's (FX6/8) perform similarly due to games not always looking for all cores to use to do the jobs required,...

Sometimes, only 4-6 cores are being used. (So people Overclock those cores, the ones getting used, are faster)

If he wants better performance, IMO I'd wait for AMD's Newer ZEN CPU (not out yet, but actually coming soon, OC the FX6 and wait it out)

Until then, he should overclock.his current CPU to 4.4Ghz-4.8Ghz if he can.

Grab a great CPU cooler and read some FX-OC guides on how to maximize his FX 6300, it probably has a decent amount of extra performance he can squeeze out of it.

Take note that he should still have a competent motherboard to hold a decent overclock. (But its less of a thing on the VRM's for the FX6300 compared to OC'ing a FX8)

Lots to read, but IMO - Overclock now,... save money, re-invest into Zen when it comes out.

/Underlined for the TL:DR crowd.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

AMD FX'S series and gonna go outdated very SOON i recommend this combo with a new CPU and Mobo

i5 6500 : Link $200

Asus Z170-E : Link $85 after Mail in Rebate and $105 without the Mail in Rebate

When life gives you drugs you sell them for a living.

What is he planning to do? On a $300 budget, best to go Intel. AM3+ is old and a dead socket.

If he's gaming, a i5 with a H97 motherboard should be a sizeable upgrade.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

Also he would need to buy DDR4 ram

2 minutes ago, The Realist said:

Also he would need to buy DDR4 ram

maybe...maybe not...that depend on what he buy...i would say if he already own a set of at least 8GB of DDR3 memory it's probably best to buy an intel motherboard and CPU that are compatible with DDr3 RAM...does he already own a CPU cooler that he could slap on this?

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

I did not think about it until i posted it that he would have to buy DDR4 but we can all agree upgrading to a new AMD FX is not worth it....id go for this it would be a little bit over his budget but would be worth it http://pcpartpicker.com/list/LjPJmG if he does not plan on overclocking just save a couple bucks get a non clockable chip and a i5 4690 or i5 4460

1 minute ago, The Realist said:

I did not think about it until i posted it that he would have to buy DDR4 but we can all agree upgrading to a new AMD FX is not worth it....id go for this it would be a little bit over his budget but would be worth it http://pcpartpicker.com/list/LjPJmG if he does not plan on overclocking just save a couple bucks get a non clockable chip and a i5 4690 or i5 4460

yes that's a very nice upgrade from an AMD FX....AMD has nothing compelling for him right now...and this core i5 chip is unlocked and he will be able to overclock with that board...it will last him a good while and will perform quite a bit better in games...especially with higher-end graphics cards where the old AMD cpu would be a limiting factor.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

The best upgrade for him is the FX 9590 which is not worth it since the core performance is very poor,the TDP is 220w,220 FUCKING WATS,not to mention you can get a FX 8350 overclock it and meet up with the FX 9590 but your PC would be in Nuclear Fusion...the i5 4690K is a great CPU for gaming and a little productivity + it has a upgrade path to a i7 4790K in the future and overclocking it means even better!

1 minute ago, The Realist said:

The best upgrade for him is the FX 9590 which is not worth it since the core performance is very poor,the TDP is 220w,220 FUCKING WATS,not to mention you can get a FX 8350 overclock it and meet up with the FX 9590 but your PC would be in Nuclear Fusion...the i5 4690K is a great CPU for gaming and a little productivity + it has a upgrade path to a i7 4790K in the future and overclocking it means even better!

exactly...and you need a very high-end AM3+ motherboard to support the FX-9590 without thermal trottling of the VRM assembly/meltdown.

13 hours ago, Stevoisboss said:

My friend has a fx-6300 and wants a reccommendation for a upgrade in the near future. I don't know much about amd processors so im having a hard time reccommending him one. His price range $300 or less. Any reccommendations?

The only real upgrade is to go for an intel processor. The i5 6600K and the i7 6700K are the best picks. AMD processors suck for gaming purposes(lower framerates, lower minimum framerates, and most amd processors will bottleneck a high end graphics card) if compared to Intel.

Buying a new amd processor, i see absolutely no point in doing. Save up, and buy a i5 6600K or a i7 6700K, although i recommend the i7 over the i5. But both of them will be very much better than any amd processor out to date.

Intel processors have much better single core performance, resulting in more stable and higher fps overall. They also have enough juice to power a gtx 1080. A gtx 1080 would be bottlenecked by a amd processor.

Intel Core i7 6700K@4,3GHz - Asus Z170 Pro Gaming - Corsair Vengeance 16GB 2666MHz DDR4 - Evga SuperNova 750W PSU - Samsung EVO 500GB SSD - Gainward GTX 1080 GS - BenQ xl2411T 144hz - Cooler Master Haf-X Big Tower Nvidia Edition