Steam OS or Windows?

Windows for life.

SteamOS isn't even out and you are able to not only conclude that it must be worse than windows, but that you will stick with Windows for the rest of your life? Would you lend me that crystal ball of yours sometime? Fanboyism is just absolutely horrible, and uneducated fanboyism even the more.

On topic: I think we all have to wait what VALVe has in store for us, but one thing is certain: this will without a doubt stimulate some driver support on Linux, which is great. As a near full-time Linux user I can only hope SteamOS will deliver the push that is required to a more general acceptance of Linux as a gaming and desktop platform. As of now, open source GPU driver support is abysmal. Both nVidia and AMD vouched to improve open source driver quality just after the SteamOS announcement, which I hope is only an appetizer of what is to come.

| Operating Systems: Arch Linux  /  Debian Linux  /  Windows 7 | Audio: Epiphany Acoustics EHP-O2D + AKG Q701 |

| Display: Samsung Syncmaster P2450H | Mouse: Razer Deathadder Black | Keyboard: Filco Majestouch 2 Ninja TKL Brown | Mic: Samson C03U |

| Case: Corsair 600T | CPU: Intel Core i7 4770K | GPU: AMD HD7950 | Mobo: Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H | RAM: 16Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro | PSU: Corsair TX850M |

If it had to be a choice between either Windows or SteamOS, I'd pick windows without a moment of hesitation. This is not due to me not liking Linux, as I currently have Manjaro Linux installed on my computer and use it more than windows (the only reason as to why I still have windows on the computer at all is due to Arma 3 and Photoshop Lightroom). Its due to the fact that SteamOS doesn't really seem like something that you would install on a gaming pc, but rather for a HTPC that you want to stream games to, or for a console replacement. Also, its kinda hard to back to a distro that doesn't have the AUR now...

Build LogsPCX - A HTPC/Low End Gaming PC in a Playstation 1 Chasis (90-ish% done) | Yamaha PC-350 (Computer in a RD-350 engine) --> Coming Soon | Mediocre Terrors: Yet Another Prodigy Build Log

If steam os means that the Linux platform is more recognised by big devs, then I see no reason to continue with buying windows. From a personal point of view, I dislike the new windows 8 ui and feel they are going in a slightly wrong direction for desktop users when compared to win 7. Linux distros are much more customisable, there are loads of different ui's to choose from. Tbh I hope steam os will kick start some big names developing for linux. As for steam os itself, then I have to agree it does not seem fully featured enough to be a primary desktop os. But for a htpc with gaming in mind then I guess it's perfect

OnePlus 6T

I would make the switch under a couple of conditions.

1. the "Gaming machine" was dedicated to gaming and used for nothing else.

2. They integrated something like WINE into the OS... So well that it required no extra input from the User.

3. They leave the desktop interface for steam there. 95% of my PC games I play with a Keyboard and mouse. So big picture mode isn't needed.

4. They have easy multi-monitor support.

5. I can still install other native linux applications (Even though its a dedicated gaming machine, You may at some stage need to use it for something else)

More or less though, It has the potential to perform better. It will boot quicker (well.. I would bloody well hope so).

If it met all of these conditions I would just for sure.

Edit: I certainly will not be switching at launch. I'm pretty sure it is still many years until I would be happy using it as my main OS.

One Steam to rule them all, One Sale to find them, One Sale to bring them all and with their wallets, bind them! - r/pcmasterrace 17/01/2014

Spoiler
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k
  • CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212+ 
  • RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2400Mhz (2x8GB)
  • GPU: Gigabyte G1 R9 390 
  • Mobo: Asus Z170-AR
  • PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 900W 
  • Storage: 240GB intel 520 SSD (OS), Sandisk 128GB SSD(Other OS) 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 
  • Case: Fractal Design R4