Well RX 480 fail

DAnewguy

Well I got one RX 480 8gb version on my like test build and when I started a game (tested on all new high demanding games)  it just crashed in about 2 min and then I checked everything and it was all good but it still crashed any suggestions on how to fix or something will just get a new one if it doesn't work

2 minutes ago, DAnewguy said:

Well I got one RX 480 8gb version on my like test build and when I started a game (tested on all new high demanding games)  it just crashed in about 2 min and then I checked everything and it was all good but it still crashed

K.

The reference RX 480 has a bit of trouble with it's power requirements since it's been reported that it is constantly using too much power from the PCI-e slot, if you're going to get a new one then wait for the AIB partner's versions. It could be because of a cheap or low wattage PSU too though, What is your PSU?

Edit: You know on second though just wait on the AIB partner versions.

9 minutes ago, Arc_Jester said:

The reference RX 480 has a bit of trouble with it's power requirements since it's been reported that it is constantly using too much power from the PCI-e slot, if you're going to get a new one then wait for the AIB partner's versions. It could be because of a cheap or low wattage PSU too though, What is your PSU?

Edit: You  know on secomnd though just wait on the AIB partner versions.

And I got enough power I'm like very sure about that (100%)

I did not know about this am spooked. was about to buy a 480 for a friend. anybody now how long it will be till partners start selling.

3 minutes ago, DAnewguy said:

And I got enough power I'm like very sure about that (100%)

Describe the crash.  ...and when it happens what are you doing?

2 minutes ago, zootcake said:

I did not know about this am spooked. was about to buy a 480 for a friend. anybody now how long it will be till partners start selling.

A few weeks(2-4)

1 minute ago, Arc_Jester said:

A few weeks(2-4)

rip

1 minute ago, stconquest said:

Describe the crash.  ...and when it happens what are you doing?

Well the game it self crashes and the gpu is OK and I don't rly do anything  

But I think it's just this  gpu that is broken 

4 minutes ago, zootcake said:

Bro it Mey be this particular gpu idk

2 minutes ago, DAnewguy said:

1.  Make sure you have the newest drivers installed.

2.  As @Rider480 mentioned, you can try turning up the power limit (not the clock speed) to stabilize the card.  Try just 20-30% first.

9 minutes ago, stconquest said:

1.  Make sure you have the newest drivers installed.

2.  As @Rider480 mentioned, you can try turning up the power limit (not the clock speed) to stabilize the card.  Try just 20-30% first.

Well will try and will get a new one

(4free?)tomorow so can see what's the problem

I never liked AMD cards but problems on the rx480 just popping up one after another. Never have i seen such a defected card....

i work at a computer shop and just today we had 5 people return it for refund because it couldnt run any games without crashing or just dying out altogether. 

1 minute ago, Bcat00 said:

I never liked AMD cards but problems on the rx480 just popping up one after another. Never have i seen such a defected card....

i work at a computer shop and just today we had 5 people return it for refund because it couldnt run any games without crashing or just dying out altogether. 

To be fair, how many people do you think just popped it in their PCs with no name PSUs?

1 minute ago, Bcat00 said:

Lol well I'm getting new one to see if my first was broken or not

1 minute ago, DAnewguy said:

Lol well I'm getting new one to see if my first was broken or not

Most likely not. Multiple people are finding the problem in their card. I'd wait for the AIB cards to get released first.

Look, our store is not huge but its not small either. I know for a fact we sold 22 of these cards since launch day and we already have 5 people returning it saying it wont run games without crashing.

i have never seen a card get such a high return rate on launch in 8 years of working there.

and my boss is swearing he will not order any of the rx480 at this point because he profit margin on it is seriously low to begin with and now his profit is being eaton away with every return.

21 minutes ago, DAnewguy said:

Was it just one game or several, try a benchmark for the gpu. Could be temps as well.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

5 minutes ago, Starelementpoke said:

To be fair, how many people do you think just popped it in their PCs with no name PSUs?

it's a low performance low TDP card it should work well even with a no name 350W PSU.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

1 minute ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

it's a low performance low TDP card it should work well even with a no name 350W PSU.

I don't think 970ish levels of performance is low.

1 minute ago, Starelementpoke said:

I don't think 970ish levels of performance is low.

for current gen cards it is...but that's beside the point...this card has a single 6 pin connector and it supposed to be energy efficient and it should work fine even on quite basic psu's...i would not recommend it...but people doing it and expecting to work without issues are right to think that way imho.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

2 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

for current gen cards it is...but that's beside the point...this card has a single 6 pin connector and it supposed to be energy efficient and it should work fine even on quite basic psu's...i would not recommend it...but people doing it and expecting to work without issues are right to think that way imho.

Eh. I personally wouldn't trust any grey-unit with anything more than a 250, but what a grey-unit can handle is very opinon based.

4 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

Why can't all debates end like this. Civil and reasonable?

6 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

Lol i wouldn't even dare ask peeps pop a gtx 960/970 in a system with a non name 350w psu. GPU boost also have very high peak power draws. Rx 480 is also no different. 

No way is a no name psu gonna handle those peaks, even at the pcie.

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case