HTC 10 vs Galaxy S7

I'm buying a phone and I'm not sure which one to get.  I want something that won't get hot and will work great.  Plus continual software updates. 

Following this thread, as I'm looking at those two as potential replacements for my one m8

Woo!

I would personally take the S7 for the better camera (HTC 10 camera is good but not as good as the S7's).

Pro HTC 10:

- better External speakers (not THE best on the whole market, but a very good compromise between front firing + display/body ratio)

- Very good Audioquality and Output power over headphone jack (only if you have hi fi headphones)

- quite "near stock" UI.

- Full metal body

- Front camera has  Optical Image stabilisation too.

- Apple Airplay !!!

Con HTC 10:

- old emmc 5.0 (or 5.1) storage chips. That means, Despite having USB type C in 3.0 interface, the data transmission rate is quite slow. The USB Type C interface could be faster, but the slow emmc 5.0 storage is the Bottleneck, when moving files from your computer to the Phone.

- despite th UI beeing quite "stock", it consumes more gb than Samsun's Touchwiz (saw a post, where they compared free available space from both. S7 had like 1gb more space free. Both 32gb models)

- Camera, despite beeing VERY good according to HTCs last 3 years, it still falls slightly short behind the s7.

- HTC still uses quite high prices, even tho they shouldn't when they struggle that much. In Germany here, the HTC 10 costs 660€, while the S7 (which many reviewers consider a Tad better overall package) is only at 560€~. That's a huge Bonus for the already good S7.

Pro S7:

- Better screen (Amoled "can"! be more power efficient, depending on brightness, and theme). Atm THE best screen on the market. Also regarding maximum brightness, Gamma/Greyscale/etc calibration, Color accuracy (at least in Basic/Photo mode, not in "adaptive mode")

- IP68

- Wireless charge

- MUCH faster UFS 2.0 storage. On small 4k Files, it can read up to 80-110 mb/s. emmc 5.0 storage reads at like 10-25 mb/s here.

- Better Camera. Or better say, camera with almost no compromises. Sensor, Autofocus, Aperture, Low Light performance, post image processing (a little bit too sharp, but still very good) are on a very high level, making this baby the Kind of smartphone cameras right now.

(- Depending on your Region (outside of China and USA), the s7 runs with a Exynos 8890, instead Snapdragon 820. The Exynos is more Power efficient at a similar Performance. The Device "can" last up to 10-30% longer per Charge. Which is a Huge difference. The Exynos S7 mostly gets like 1-2 hours more Screen on time, than the Snapdragon 820 S7. Look into some tests, both variants have been tested, for example from Arstechnica :)

Con S7:

- "only" micro-USB 2.0.

- Officially only supports Miracast. No MHL, no DLNA (but users report it still can work, as long you're in the same WLAN. Idk, i dont use it) 

- Touchwiz might be preference tho.. I like the new version, and wouldn't trade it against a stock android rom. Maybe in 1-2 years.

- No UKW Radio

- No Infrared port.

I got the S7 Edge on release, and was thinking if i should've waited for the HTC 10 (i was a HTC One M8 user for the past 2 years). Now that it's out.. i don't regret anything.

The Exynos SoC is really awesome in performance, and Power efficiency.

Right now, i have 4 Hours and 11 Minutes screen-on-time, over a Timespan of exactly 49 Hours (2 days and 1 hour).

I still have 24% Battery Left (S7 Edge, 3600 mAh, Exynos).

Hope that pro/con list helps :)

@ Wifrlare: I was a One M8 user too^^ And in my opinion, my Upgrade to the s7 edge was absolutely worth it. While i got my M8 to stutter / Lag like CRAZY by just updating a few Apps from Play store, i have a really hard time getting my s7 Edge to slow down. No matter what i do. Updating a bunch of Apps in the background, switching between Apps while doing so, maybe back into a Game... No stutters really (maybe a few more framedrops than usual) but honestly.. that thing FLIES.

4gb ram, UFS 2.0 storage, and the Much faster CPU / GPU are a Beast of a combination.

If you have any specific Questions recarding your M8 --> S7 (since you would be moving from Sense to Touchwiz), i can also provice you some first hand experiences there :P

HTC is much faster at updating to new Android versions.

I would take HTC 10 over Samsung galaxy s7.

I hate having glass on the back.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

On 7/2/2016 at 7:54 AM, Darkseth said:

Pro HTC 10:

- better External speakers (not THE best on the whole market, but a very good compromise between front firing + display/body ratio)

- Very good Audioquality and Output power over headphone jack (only if you have hi fi headphones)

- quite "near stock" UI.

- Full metal body

- Front camera has  Optical Image stabilisation too.

- Apple Airplay !!!

Con HTC 10:

- old emmc 5.0 (or 5.1) storage chips. That means, Despite having USB type C in 3.0 interface, the data transmission rate is quite slow. The USB Type C interface could be faster, but the slow emmc 5.0 storage is the Bottleneck, when moving files from your computer to the Phone.

- despite th UI beeing quite "stock", it consumes more gb than Samsun's Touchwiz (saw a post, where they compared free available space from both. S7 had like 1gb more space free. Both 32gb models)

- Camera, despite beeing VERY good according to HTCs last 3 years, it still falls slightly short behind the s7.

- HTC still uses quite high prices, even tho they shouldn't when they struggle that much. In Germany here, the HTC 10 costs 660€, while the S7 (which many reviewers consider a Tad better overall package) is only at 560€~. That's a huge Bonus for the already good S7.

Pro S7:

- Better screen (Amoled "can"! be more power efficient, depending on brightness, and theme). Atm THE best screen on the market. Also regarding maximum brightness, Gamma/Greyscale/etc calibration, Color accuracy (at least in Basic/Photo mode, not in "adaptive mode")

- IP68

- Wireless charge

- MUCH faster UFS 2.0 storage. On small 4k Files, it can read up to 80-110 mb/s. emmc 5.0 storage reads at like 10-25 mb/s here.

- Better Camera. Or better say, camera with almost no compromises. Sensor, Autofocus, Aperture, Low Light performance, post image processing (a little bit too sharp, but still very good) are on a very high level, making this baby the Kind of smartphone cameras right now.

(- Depending on your Region (outside of China and USA), the s7 runs with a Exynos 8890, instead Snapdragon 820. The Exynos is more Power efficient at a similar Performance. The Device "can" last up to 10-30% longer per Charge. Which is a Huge difference. The Exynos S7 mostly gets like 1-2 hours more Screen on time, than the Snapdragon 820 S7. Look into some tests, both variants have been tested, for example from Arstechnica :)

Con S7:

- "only" micro-USB 2.0.

- Officially only supports Miracast. No MHL, no DLNA (but users report it still can work, as long you're in the same WLAN. Idk, i dont use it) 

- Touchwiz might be preference tho.. I like the new version, and wouldn't trade it against a stock android rom. Maybe in 1-2 years.

- No UKW Radio

- No Infrared port.

I got the S7 Edge on release, and was thinking if i should've waited for the HTC 10 (i was a HTC One M8 user for the past 2 years). Now that it's out.. i don't regret anything.

The Exynos SoC is really awesome in performance, and Power efficiency.

Right now, i have 4 Hours and 11 Minutes screen-on-time, over a Timespan of exactly 49 Hours (2 days and 1 hour).

I still have 24% Battery Left (S7 Edge, 3600 mAh, Exynos).

Hope that pro/con list helps :)

@ Wifrlare: I was a One M8 user too^^ And in my opinion, my Upgrade to the s7 edge was absolutely worth it. While i got my M8 to stutter / Lag like CRAZY by just updating a few Apps from Play store, i have a really hard time getting my s7 Edge to slow down. No matter what i do. Updating a bunch of Apps in the background, switching between Apps while doing so, maybe back into a Game... No stutters really (maybe a few more framedrops than usual) but honestly.. that thing FLIES.

4gb ram, UFS 2.0 storage, and the Much faster CPU / GPU are a Beast of a combination.

If you have any specific Questions recarding your M8 --> S7 (since you would be moving from Sense to Touchwiz), i can also provice you some first hand experiences there :P

Thanks! That really helped. I got the S7. Sadly I could only get the 820 version but I love it. I tried out the HTC 10 at a store and hated the buttons. I'm a previous Note 4 user so I think I'm attached to Samsung'so buttons.