So I bought an RX 480....

mapegl

So I bought an RX 480 and honestly my impression of it was pretty good. Problem was that the fan had a ticking noise, but besides that it was reasonably quiet (I mean it is still a blower style cooler) and also kept temps low enough for me to be comfortable with it. In DOOM with everything maxed at 2560x1080 I got 79°C, definitely ok.

The whole "drawing too much power over the PCIe slot" thing got me to send it back for good instead of replacing the card. Am I overreacting here? I mean some guy reported that his on-board audio died already, and that was on a high-quality ASUS board. Of course, there is no direct proof that it was related to his RX 480, but it worked before he installed it, and then it wuickly died, exactly what PCPER etc. predicted might happen with the exceeding power draw.

So I really want to have a GPU again, but I don't have much more money than the 219€ I spent on the RX 480.

Basically what I can buy now is either a used card, which I don't really want to do, or get either a GTX 960 or R9 380X or 380, or another RX 480 with potentially bad effects on my motherboard....

Or does anyone know when the custom 480s come out?

PC: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @4.2HGhz 1.25V || Noctua NH-U12S SE2 || 16GB (2×8GB) Aegis 3000Mhz CL16 @3200Mhz || 
|| Sapphire Pulse RX 6700 10G || MSI B450i Gaming PLUS MAX Wifi
  || Kingston NV1 2TB m.2 ||  Corsair SF600 || Intertech IM 1 |||
Peripherals: Sennheiser PC  360 G4ME || AOC CQ27G2U || Viewsonic PX701HD || Keychron V1 || Logitech G303 Shroud Edition||| Laptop: XPS 13 2in1 7390 || Steam Deck 256 GB (64GB Version) ||| Cameras: Fujifilm XH-1 || Fujifilm X100T

Elite 110 build log (update:05/15/2018)

3 minutes ago, mapegl said:

So I bought an RX 480 and honestly my impression of it was pretty good. Problem was that the fan had a ticking noise, but besides that it was reasonably quiet (I mean it is still a blower style cooler) and also kept temps low enough for me to be comfortable with it. In DOOM with everything maxed at 2560x1080 I got 79°C, definitely ok.

The whole "drawing too much power over the PCIe slot" thing got me to send it back for good instead of replacing the card. Am I overreacting here? I mean some guy reported that his on-board audio died already, and that was on a high-quality ASUS board. Of course, there is no direct proof that it was related to his RX 480, but it worked before he installed it, and then it wuickly died, exactly what PCPER etc. predicted might happen with the exceeding power draw.

So I really want to have a GPU again, but I don't have much more money than the 219€ I spent on the RX 480.

Basically what I can buy now is either a used card, which I don't really want to do, or get either a GTX 960 or R9 380X or 380, or another RX 480 with potentially bad effects on my motherboard....

wait for custom rx480.

CPU: I7 8086K                              MOBO: Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 5   RAM: 16Gb G-Skill 3200mHz

GPU: GTX 1070 FE 8GB            CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX           OS: Windows 10

PSU: EVGA 650G                      SSD: 250GB Samsung Evo                       HDD: 1000GB WD BLUE

5 minutes ago, mapegl said:

there are also rumours of a 1060, not sure on the pricepoint though

My Setup :P

Spoiler

Skylake: I7-6700|MSI B150 GAMING M3|16GB GSKILL RIPJAWS V|R9 280X (WILL BE 1070)|CRUCIAL MX300 + WD BLACK 1TB

well you should have waited in the first place before buying a reference card, secondly one article does not confirm that the card is bad, motherboards die all the time by unknown reasons.

Nope, I would have sent it back as well, either wait for a custom card with either more pin power input or wait for a 1060 and see if that's any good, but don't buy either day one again since you don't want to be let down again if they have an issue

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

Wait for custom rx480, or the rx 470 shouldn't be too far off in performance from the 480, that could also be an option, but could take a while longer still.

I'm glad I didn't buy this on day 1 like I had originally planned. I'm waiting for custom 480s (day nitro 480 looks very bangable). Join me in iGPU master race until then.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

7 minutes ago, Alexzz_ said:

well you should have waited in the first place before buying a reference card, secondly one article does not confirm that the card is bad, motherboards die all the time by unknown reasons.

Well the thing is I watched a bunch of review videos, all were good (including the LTT one) and I ordered. After that some people came forward and showed that the card is out of spec.

I agree, one article isn't enough to prove that this will kill mainboards, but the card is most likely really not within the PCIe spec as pointed out by a couple of reviewers by now. PCPER has done a great article on it....I really wanted to have that card.

1 minute ago, ivan134 said:

I'm glad I didn't buy this on day 1 like I had originally planned. I'm waiting for custom 480s (day nitro 480 looks very bangable). Join me in iGPU master race until then.

Ha! I have an inredibely fast HD6870 to keep me afloat. ;-) At least it let's me play Rocket League. iGPU was too weak for that, at least at my monitor's native res.

PC: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @4.2HGhz 1.25V || Noctua NH-U12S SE2 || 16GB (2×8GB) Aegis 3000Mhz CL16 @3200Mhz || 
Peripherals: Sennheiser PC  360 G4ME || AOC CQ27G2U || Viewsonic PX701HD || Keychron V1 || Logitech G303 Shroud Edition||| Laptop: XPS 13 2in1 7390 || Steam Deck 256 GB (64GB Version) ||| Cameras: Fujifilm XH-1 || Fujifilm X100T

3 minutes ago, ivan134 said:

XDD I still have my 280X, but it's gonna be sold in about a day or two anyway. So I'll be in the iGPU train too. 

Anyone know when the customs are gonna be released? I can't wait. 

CPU: AMD 3800X GPU: GTX 1080 Ti RAM: (16GB) 2x Corsair 8gb DDR4 3200Mhz Drives: SanDisk 240GB SSD, Samsung 500GB SSD, WD 1TB HDD

Motherboard: MSI X470 Gaming pro plus PSU: Gigabyte 650 watt Monitor(s): 27 inch AOC 1440p

The custom card should come in about 1-2 weeks from now if everything is on schedule. HOWEVER, do to the whole PCI fiasco, IF the board partner cant simply fix it by adding another 2 pins to the card and AMD have to recall all of the 480 for inspection/fixing then it may take longer. Like I said, IF. We dont know if board partner can fix it or not yet. 

On the other hand, 1060 is rumored to be reveal on 7/7

My rig: Intel Core i7 4790k | MSI Z97 PC Mate | GSKILL Ripjaws X 16GB 1866MHz | ADATA Premier SP550 480GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Seagate Barracuda 2TB  | MSI Gaming X GTX 1070 | Thermaltake Versa N21 | Corsair CX550M Semi Modular PSU | AOC G2460PF 144Hz | Logitech G502 | GSKILL Ripjaws KM780  | GAMDIAS HEPHAESTUS V2  PCPartPicker | Old Build Log | New Build Log

45 minutes ago, Alexzz_ said:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-radeon-rx-480-polaris-10,4616-9.html

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/Power-Consumption-Concerns-Radeon-RX-480

Here are two sites that did in-depth testing to confirm what all of the reports are indicating. Are Tom's Hardware and PC Perspective not credible? 

Here's another site that consolidates several reviews saying the same things about power consumption: http://videocardz.com/61667/what-reviewers-say-about-radeon-rx-480-exceeding-pci-express-power-specifications

7 minutes ago, MisterDeadeye said:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-radeon-rx-480-polaris-10,4616-9.html

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/Power-Consumption-Concerns-Radeon-RX-480

Here are two sites that did in-depth testing to confirm what all of the reports are indicating. Are Tom's Hardware and PC Perspective not credible? 

Here's another site that consolidates several reviews saying the same things about power consumption: http://videocardz.com/61667/what-reviewers-say-about-radeon-rx-480-exceeding-pci-express-power-specifications

Thank you! Yeah I read those articles as well.

Pretty shocking stuff actually. I so wanted to like the card.

Problem about the 1060 for me is actually that I would like to take advatage of my Freesync display.

The RX 470 would be interesting, if it has close to R9 290 performance.

14 minutes ago, Megazero said:

The custom card should come in about 1-2 weeks from now if everything is on schedule. HOWEVER, do to the whole PCI fiasco, IF the board partner cant simply fix it by adding another 2 pins to the card and AMD have to recall all of the 480 for inspection/fixing then it may take longer. Like I said, IF. We dont know if board partner can fix it or not yet. 

On the other hand, 1060 is rumored to be reveal on 7/7

The sapphire pr guy already confirmed their nitro 480 will have 8 pin instead of 6.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

1 hour ago, mapegl said:

how much FPS you got on DOOM?
and is there somekind of option that makes you turn on Vulkan API?

2 minutes ago, EvilNeo said:

Id tech hasn't released a Vulkan patch.

Just now, ivan134 said:

Id tech hasn't released a Vulkan patch.

do we have any showcase for RX 480 with Vulkan like what we saw with 1080 release?
AMD aided in the making of it but do you think AMD GPUs would benefit from it more than Nvidia's or both would have the same results?

4 minutes ago, EvilNeo said:

I got anything in between 50 and 75 fps. So very playable. Can't test exactly anymore, because I already sent the card back. Sorry. Good performance though.

22 minutes ago, Stefan1024 said:

As long as you don't OC, it's not that bad. Just don't set the power targwt over 100%. If you are really concerned, set it to 80 - 90%.

I don't see that as a solution really. I mean I did set the GPU to 90% power limit, but really one should not have to do that. I hope AMD will come up with a fix for their GPUs, for their sake. 

I so wanted to love this card. 

7 hours ago, mapegl said:

I don't see that as a solution really. I mean I did set the GPU to 90% power limit, but really one should not have to do that. I hope AMD will come up with a fix for their GPUs, for their sake. 

I so wanted to love this card. 

Again: on stock settings it does not harm any componets on your MoBo.

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

10 hours ago, Stefan1024 said:

Again: on stock settings it does not harm any componets on your MoBo.

Just wondering: How do you know, that it won't do any damage?

It has been shown that the card goes over spec on the PCIe slot, and even if those failing motherboard of some people were incidental, that still doesn't confirm that there will be no harm in long term usage. I am not saying that I can prove that it will do damage, but neither have I heard of any proof that it won't.

It is never good to put something that is designed for a certain load und greater stress. It will cause heat and degredation, if not failure depending on the quality of the components.

I mean you wouldn't use a reagular electrical wire and then hook up an oven. That thing is going to burn out eventually, even if it is not going to happen right away. We are talking about different proportions here of course.

PCPer has done a great article on the card, and while they say themselves that they don't know if there will be harm and that some people are exaggerating, they have also shown very clearly that the card exceeds the PCIe spec by significant amount. (80 watts vs 66 watts on the 12V rail, so more than 20% too much)
AMD has also come forward and admitted that there is something wrong, and that they have to take action. Apparently they will try to fix it with a new driver. It will be interesting to see if that is even possible.

source: PCPer: Power Consumption Concerns on the Radeon RX 480

3 minutes ago, mapegl said:

It has been shown that the card goes over spec on the PCIe slot, and even if those failing motherboard of some people were incidental, that still doesn't confirm that there will be no harm in long term usage. I am not saying that I can prove that it will do damage, but neither have I heard of any proof that it won't.

It is never good to put something that is designed for a certain load und greater stress. It will cause heat and degredation, if not failure depending on the quality of the components.

I mean you wouldn't use a reagular electrical wire and then hook up an oven. That thing is going to burn out eventually, even if it is not going to happen right away. We are talking about different proportions here of course.

PCPer has done a great article on the card, and while they say themselves that they don't know if there will be harm and that some people are exaggerating, they have also shown very clearly that the card exceeds the PCIe spec by significant amount. (80 watts vs 66 watts on the 12V rail, so more than 20% too much)
AMD has also come forward and admitted that there is something wrong, and that they have to take action. Apparently they will try to fix it with a new driver. It will be interesting to see if that is even possible.

My 750ti has no power pins, and it did fine with pulling over 75 watts from the PCIE lane, literally it is a non issue, where as a GTX 960 without power connectors has drawn over 200 watts, it is literally a non issue. It is an overhyped issue IMO

14 hours ago, mapegl said:

I'm so confident because of the components involved. Unless you are running 4 way CF you have a lot of headroom.

PSU -> 24 pin cable -> 24 pin connector -> power plane on Mobo (traces) -> PCIe slot

1) PSU: When it's not able to provide 10 watts more for the MoBo it's not suited anyway.

2) 24 pin cable: When running 4 way Titan X you need 300 watts and nobody is concerned.

3) 24 pin connector: again, 300 watts for 4 way is no concern

4) power plane: the MoBo has a full power plane due to EMI compliance. It can handle >30 A easely

5) PCIe slot: yes it is a little bit overloaded, but this pins can push a lot more current in the short run. In they long run they get hoter than designed, but the design has some buffer and is for worst case scenarios like no airflow at all over the slot and the contacts already worn out and dirty. When you clean the contacts on the graphics card the contact resistance is much lower and therefor the current capapillity higher. And again, when the slot is damaged by heat it would be visible. Haven't sean any report showing this.

And even if one slot is burned, the others are completly fine. The guy said, all slots where dead. Simply makes no sense.

Also this:

Edit: to my background: I'm studying electronic engineering the past 8 years and I'm finished soon with my master degree.

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

9 hours ago, Stefan1024 said:

I'm so confident because of the components involved. Unless you are running 4 way CF you have a lot of headroom.

PSU -> 24 pin cable -> 24 pin connector -> power plane on Mobo (traces) -> PCIe slot

1) PSU: When it's not able to provide 10 watts more for the MoBo it's not suited anyway.

2) 24 pin cable: When running 4 way Titan X you need 300 watts and nobody is concerned.

3) 24 pin connector: again, 300 watts for 4 way is no concern

4) power plane: the MoBo has a full power plane due to EMI compliance. It can handle >30 A easely

5) PCIe slot: yes it is a little bit overloaded, but this pins can push a lot more current in the short run. In they long run they get hoter than designed, but the design has some buffer and is for worst case scenarios like no airflow at all over the slot and the contacts already worn out and dirty. When you clean the contacts on the graphics card the contact resistance is much lower and therefor the current capapillity higher. And again, when the slot is damaged by heat it would be visible. Haven't sean any report showing this.

And even if one slot is burned, the others are completly fine. The guy said, all slots where dead. Simply makes no sense.

Also this:

Edit: to my background: I'm studying electronic engineering the past 8 years and I'm finished soon with my master degree.

Ah, whatever. Now you are just showing off you should stay more netural being Swiss and all.

...nah just kidding. Thanks for the insight. Good comment!

On 01/07/2016 at 9:08 PM, mapegl said:

there is no proof of these "deaths".

The guy bitching on the AMD forums joined the same day.

The provided no proof other then word of mouth, which makes him about as credible as a carreer criminal.

He probably read about the power issues on reddit, signed up for AMDs forums and tried to scam them into paying for his dead setup.

Same with all the other posts.

Yes you over-reacted. AMD is going to release a "fix" at Tuesday. You just screwed yourself over BADLY. Because there is no fucking chance you'll get a new RX 480 anytime soon.

There is no guarantee that custom RX 480s WONT have this issue.