R9 Fury, still worth it?

Phoenix721

Hello, people of the Linustechtips forum. I have one single question
I wanted to buy an RX 480 but the card performed exactly as I expected it to, aka slightly slower than the 970 and considering that it is bound to cost ~350 EUR in Greece, I was wondering if maybe you think it is worth it for me to pick up an R9 Fury for about ~480 EUR from Germany. I know that the 1070 exists, but I have stated that I refuse to buy an Nvidia card. I would like to wait for Vega, but that will take way too long. I plan to game at 1440p with a freesync monitor.
Thank you for taking the time to read this.

I have a Fury Nitro and an FX 8320E. Screw my life?

1 minute ago, Deli said:

You can get a 8GB version of 480 at 269 euro in Germany and the Netherlands.

It will still not perform as well as I need it to.

2 minutes ago, App4that said:

Yes, great card. Excellent for 1440 gaming. Get the Sapphire if you can.

Yes, the nitro one is the one I am going for.

If it's cheaper than the GTX 1070, then yes. Otherwise, no. I usually go AMD, but right now with AMD and NVidia having cards at different price brackets, there is literally no competition so you just get whoever makes the new card in your price range.

Also, if you're just doing 1080p 60hz gaming, then the RX 480 is perfectly fine and any more would be a waste.

1 minute ago, Lotus said:

If it's cheaper than the GTX 1070, then yes. Otherwise, no. I usually go AMD, but right now with AMD and NVidia having cards at different price brackets, there is literally no competition so you just get whoever makes the new card in your price range.

I refuse to buy an Nvidia card. You might think it's stupid, but I just cannot bring myself to owning a geforce card, knowing Nvidia and their shady business tactics.

2 minutes ago, Lotus said:

And yes, it is cheaper than a 1070, 50 eur or so.

9 minutes ago, Phoenix721 said:

Yes, the nitro one is the one I am going for.

Yesyesyesyesyesyesyesyes

And if you're lucky you can flash the BIOS to unlock the rest of the shaders and get a Fury X c:

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

Yes...get the Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro.

BECOME ONE OF US! JOIN ME!

Spoiler

lBlLj8Ml.jpg

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

1 minute ago, TheRandomness said:

Yesyesyesyesyesyesyesyes

And if you're lucky you can flash the BIOS to unlock the rest of the shaders and get a Fury X c:

Not interested in that :D

1 minute ago, -rascal- said:

Reveal hidden contents

lBlLj8Ml.jpg

Looks so sexy! I am definetely buying one.

1 minute ago, -rascal- said:

Reveal hidden contents

lBlLj8Ml.jpg

Damn, you have an FX too?! I plan to take my 8320E to 4.7 GHZ, any bottlenecks there with your fury?

1 minute ago, TheRandomness said:

Yeah... Some people don't want to brick their cards :P

Well, it if it has a dual bios (I don't recall if it does) I miiight attempt it.

3 minutes ago, Phoenix721 said:

I refuse to buy an Nvidia card. You might think it's stupid, but I just cannot bring myself to owning a geforce card, knowing Nvidia and their shady business tactics.

AMD has done just as much shady dealings as Nvidia. Don't limit yourself for the wrong reasons. But a Fury would fit your needs perfectly so it's a side comment.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

1 minute ago, App4that said:

AMD has done just as much shady dealings as Nvidia. Don't limit yourself for the wrong reasons. But a Fury would fit your needs perfectly so it's a side comment.

Well, they were done when I was either too young or too stupid to care. I go around bashing Nvidia's gameworks and it would be a feature my computer thrives in. I can't live with that.

3 minutes ago, Phoenix721 said:

Well, it if it has a dual bios (I don't recall if it does) I miiight attempt it.

AS7V43021.jpg

Can't see one :<

Sapphire should've put more power phases on it. They probably could've had 12+4+2 or something if they used the space at the top of the card.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

2 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

AS7V43021.jpg

Can't see one :<

Sapphire should've put more power phases on it. They probably could've had 12+4+2 or something if they used the space at the top of the card.

Oh well :(

7 minutes ago, Phoenix721 said:

Damn, you have an FX too?! I plan to take my 8320E to 4.7 GHZ, any bottlenecks there with your fury?

For the games I play, it's not much of a problem.

Plus I am currently running a few 1920x1200 displays, and using VSR so...eh...

I am thinking of giving my system another major overhaul (e.g. Intel X99 or AMD 'Zen' probably by the end of the year). For now, the FX-8350 works nicely with DOOM, BF4, and Rainbow 6 Six Siege.

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

5 minutes ago, Phoenix721 said:

People are always joyfully unspecific when they say this. Are you that annoyed about the lack of good open source Linux drivers, or is this all about some obscure hair effects hitting AMD cards harder than Nvidia? Because if that's the case, you wait until you hear about TressFX.

Unfortunately for you, AMD have decided that targeting GTX 970 performance is the best course of action this generation so either you go with the Fury X (which seems quite a bit better than the regular Fury) or you go with Nvidia.

1 minute ago, Phoenix721 said:

Oh well :(

Meh. Even if you try flash and it stops displaying, use the iGPU to select the card in the flashing process. There's a thread on the overclock.net forums that details all of this c:

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

2 minutes ago, othertomperson said:

People are always joyfully unspecific when they say this. Are you that annoyed about the lack of good open source Linux drivers, or is this all about some obscure hair effects hitting AMD cards harder than Nvidia? Because if that's the case, you wait until you hear about TressFX.

Unfortunately for you, AMD have decided that targeting GTX 970 performance is the best course of action this generation so either you go with the Fury X (which seems quite a bit better than the regular Fury) or you go with Nvidia.

AMD patched TressFX on Nvidia cards, no? And even if they didn't, it is not just about that. Other than Scamworks, Nvidia has done something inexcusable. In order to make the 900 series look better, they went ahead and gimped the 7xx series with drivers! What the hell?! If I had gotten a summer job back then, I would have bought a 780 Ti expecting to be the king of GPUs and have my performance to slowly increase over time with drivers, not decrease! Also, asking benchmarkers to overclock their cards and/or turn off settings is another thing. I am not saying AMD are saints, but frankly I can't think of a lot of BS tactics AMD has pulled in the last 5 years (unless you are coutning overhyping the Fury X).

I'd love to go for a fury-x, but the fury is not only cheaper but it also holds a better spot in my heart.

8 minutes ago, Phoenix721 said:

AMD patched TressFX on Nvidia cards, no? And even if they didn't, it is not just about that. Other than Scamworks, Nvidia has done something inexcusable. In order to make the 900 series look better, they went ahead and gimped the 7xx series with drivers! What the hell?! If I had gotten a summer job back then, I would have bought a 780 Ti expecting to be the king of GPUs and have my performance to slowly increase over time with drivers, not decrease! Also, asking benchmarkers to overclock their cards and/or turn off settings is another thing. I am not saying AMD are saints, but frankly I can't think of a lot of BS tactics AMD has pulled in the last 5 years (unless you are coutning overhyping the Fury X).

I'd love to go for a fury-x, but the fury is not only cheaper but it also holds a better spot in my heart.

Nvidia didn't "gimp" anything, this has been covered to death. And the RX 480 pulls power through the PCI-E slot and this has caused damage to motherboards. They did this to get that 6 pin connector. That's as recent and nasty as it gets.

https://m.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/4qfwd4/rx480_fails_pcie_specification/

If anyone asks you never saw me.

21 minutes ago, Phoenix721 said:

Oh. And there was me thinking you'd done the most rudimentary amount of research on any of this before speaking. My mistake.

Overhyping the Fury X doesn't really bother me. You shouldn't look at benchmarks that come straight from either company anyway, and that ultimately damaged themselves as people associated their flagship with a general sense of underwhelming disappointment.

AMD's tendency to draw too much current through the motherboard's PCIe connector (it's the second time in recent memory that they've done it). That's not good and can, over time, cause damage to the card and the motherboard. Why not just stick another power connector on the thing if it needs it? I find AMD's marketing distasteful tbh. Whether they're right or not, Nvidia's marketing follows the pattern "look at this awesome thing we made!", while AMD's is like "Nvidia's thing is shit." They rely on the spreading of misinformation (implying that the 970 didn't have a fully usable 4GB vram in comparison to its then-competitor the R9 290X), and all too often for my liking meaningless wars of numbers (putting 8GB on a rebadged 290? Really?)

Nvidia know how to build hype from a genuine excitement about a product. AMD rarely have anything positive to say, and just get into mudslinging matches. And Intel have just given up with any kind of hype and expect that making something stupidly expensive will do the job for them.

I think actually the Fury X's launch was a good moment for them. If they could have had that positivity without overselling the product too much, it could have been good.