Borgodoc

Game server as a requirement?

I don't think anything other than Windows have a better compatibility...

Seems like Win Ser 08 R2 or 2012 will be your only choice.

It really comes down to what game you want to host.

The other things are easy on Linux.

If the game server runs on Linux, most do, then you're fine.

If it doesn't then you're stuck in windows.

For the OS you should probably go with Ubuntu Server, and here's why

1. If you're running it on something like a P4, the gui will consume some of your precious resources

2. It's best not to install a gui for the most secure server

3. It's more secure and lightweight when compared to windows home server

4. Even though you're a noob with command line, there is a lot of documentation out there for Ubuntu Server

5. ^^^^^

Here's a good place for help when setting up file, web and mail servers https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Servers

There's even a link on how to install Folding@home :D

[spoiler=»--((¯`·._.·¤~●oO му яιg Oo●~¤·._.·´¯))--«] Case: Corsair 600T White       CPU: Core i7 3930k @ 4.3GHz                     SSD: Crucial M500 480GB

MB:    Asus P9X79 LE         GPU: Nvidia GTX 780 Reference             HDD: WD Caviar Green 3TB

PSU:   Seasonic X-1050      RAM: G.Skill Trident X 32GB @ 2.4GHz   ☃ There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Ubuntu desktop has my vote.

Rig CPU Intel i5 3570K at 4.2 GHz - MB MSI Z77A-GD55 - RAM Kingston 8GB 1600 mhz - GPU XFX 7870 Double D - Keyboard Logitech G710+

Case Corsair 600T - Storage Intel 330 120GB, WD Blue 1TB - CPU Cooler Noctua NH-D14 - Displays Dell U2312HM, Asus VS228, Acer AL1715

Running 5-10 game servers on windows server and it's been a delight :D

RIG-Processor: Intel core i7 3770k @4.4GHz,Mobo: MSI Z77-G43,GPU:Gigabyte GTX 770, RAM:16 GB G-skill sniper f3,SSD: Corsair Force f3 240gb,HDD: Seagate baracuda 1TB,Cooler:CM Hyper 212 evo, Case: Sharkoon T28 Blue

Peripherals- Monitor: Samsung S24B300, Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow, Mouse: Razer Abyssus, Headphones: Razer Megalodon, Mousepad: Razer Goliathus Alpha, Webcam: Logitech C270,Pad:Logitech F710, Sp: Philips generic ones

#KILLEDMYWIFE #MAKEBOMBS

Theoretically any Linux distribution works as a server os. Practically, Debian or Ubuntu server LTS are used more commonly. CentOS is another.

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

X GUI won't help much for configuring many of the services. You will still need to edit the same text files. There are options like webmin however.

http://www.webmin.com/

I prefer Linux to Windows, since it's open source and all... Also, games on Linux is rapidly shifting with Valve's support and all.

Thanks! Although I have to add, we'll be running a brand new Haswell Xeon CPU (1265Lv3), so resources will be quite abundant ;) And concerning games, we'll most likely start with some LFD2, Half-Life 2 and, if it works, DayZ. We'll just go along from there (also, with Valve now focusing on Linux, support will probably get better and better). I'll start reading the information in that link you sent me, hopefully it'll be somewhat understandable ;) One more question: why exactly is the absence of a GUI more secure? If it's too long to explain, just drop it, I'll trust your word for it ;).

Read this page for why a server is more secure without a GUI.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ServerGUI

[spoiler=»--((¯`·._.·¤~●oO му яιg Oo●~¤·._.·´¯))--«] Case: Corsair 600T White       CPU: Core i7 3930k @ 4.3GHz                     SSD: Crucial M500 480GB

MB:    Asus P9X79 LE         GPU: Nvidia GTX 780 Reference             HDD: WD Caviar Green 3TB

PSU:   Seasonic X-1050      RAM: G.Skill Trident X 32GB @ 2.4GHz   ☃ There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

In a terminal type the following to install a GUI for Ubuntu Server:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop

You could just use Windows--you don't even need Windows server--just normal 7 or 8 would do fine. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Personally I use Windows Server 2012 Standard, which I got for free with Microsoft DreamSpark, however I do many more advanced things like DHCP, DNS, Active Directory, Roaming profiles etc. For everything you're wanting to do, just a regular windows OS (Windows 8 is probably the best as it has new features like SMB 3.0) and go from there. 

CPU i5 4430 3Ghz | Ram: 16GB DDR3 1600 | GPU: GTX 650 Ti 1GB | Mobo: H87N-Wifi | Case: White Bitfenix Prodigy | Boot Drive: 120GB 840 Evo (Mac OS X) 120gb OCZ Vertex 3 (Windows) | Games Drive: 640GB WD Green | OS: Windows 8 & OS X 10.9.1

I love all technology. The perfection of macs for my designer side, and the hardware and fun of tinkering on the of the pc side. We can have it all, just not at the same time.

Go for Ubuntu Server. If you have problems, you could install a gui later on (I would recommend LXDE, since it's like windows and needs little resources).

Source-game-servers run well on linux( css, hl2, tf2 etc.), there are some good tutorials which guide you through step-by-step.