First Person Shooter opinion thread

Mooshi

I've noticed the hype around BF4 and during a favourite video game thread/poll, there was quite a bit of FPS titles being mentioned as well as someone commented that LTT has members obsessed with pew pew.

Note: This is NOT a flame thread, this is NOT a consle vs PC thread, this is NOT a "my opinion is right and yours is wrong" thread and most importantly, this is NOT a gun like debate about violence or other media hysteria shenanigans. This is for civilized discussion of the popular FPS genre and how you feel about it.

For me, FPS is not my fav genre, but I will get into a game if friends are pestering me enough to BF3 or something. Otherwise, I'd rather play something from the Zelda series. :P

I've noticed the hype around BF4 and during a favourite video game thread/poll, there was quite a bit of FPS titles being mentioned as well as someone commented that LTT has members obsessed with pew pew.

Note: This is NOT a flame thread, this is NOT a consle vs PC thread, this is NOT a "my opinion is right and yours is wrong" thread and most importantly, this is NOT a gun like debate about violence or other media hysteria shenanigans. This is for civilized discussion of the popular FPS genre and how you feel about it.

For me, FPS is not my fav genre, but I will get into a game if friends are pestering me enough to BF3 or something. Otherwise, I'd rather play something from the Zelda series. :P

I think this is in the wrong section, shouldn't it be in General Discusion?

Back from the dead....

An admin needs to move this thread.

[AMD Athlon 64 Mobile 4000+ Socket 754 | Gigabyte GA-K8NS Pro nForce3 | OCZ 2GB DDR PC3200 | Sapphire HD 3850 512MB AGP | 850 Evo | Seasonic 430W | Win XP/10]

Correct.

Case = Bitfenix Prodigy, Motherboard = P8Z77 - I Deluxe, CPU = 3570k @ 4.2GHz, RAM = 2x 8GB G-Skill Ripjaws, GPU = Sapphire 7950 Boost Edition, Storage = 256GB Samsung 840 Pro.

Or off-topic. I realized after being posted. Already im'd Windspeed36 :V

i find with a good sound/monitor setup fps gives me the best immersion experience

plus really since early FF games nothing has really grabbed me outside that genre for immersion

If ur hell bent on X, dont ask for X vs Y suggestions

I love FPS because it is the only game I can play multiplayer in. I love the RTS genre (Warcraft 3, StarCraft) and I play custom matches online with those. I also love RPGs (Skyrim, Mass Effect, Dragons Age). If I want to play a game for pure fun (especially if I only have like an hour) then FPS (Battlefield of course) is the to to for me.

Fourth poll option needed: I consider the vast majority of popular FPS games simple, boring and uncompetitive, but some FPS games manage to be creative enough to actually be good. (Natural Selection 2 being my prime example)

My problem with modern FPS games is that they have all gone down the road of Call of Duty. Very ADHD... or run and spray basically. There are no FPS games with a decent sized player base that want to do hour long battles and tactically fight each other rather than the popular run and spray.

Sounds like the ARMA games are your calling. Natural Selection 2 is also a game where the community loves long games with a lot of improbable comebacks. They both are however the FPS games out there with the steepest learning curves. Bar none.

As for single player FPS... Wow they have really gone to shit. The last single player FPS I can think of that I enjoyed was Fallout 3 and NV. And they are RPGs with FPS perspective. Way to go, industry.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

I enjoy single player shooters such as Half-Life, FarCry and so on.

Online I only really like Unreal Tournament. Bought part 3 a while ago. Not too many people, but I'm still in love with this game since the first one ^^

And Quake, havn't played it in aeons, but I still love it :D

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

sorry i forgot "space marine". loved that game to death, wish the multiplayer had more ppl.

i feel that if they had not rushed release and did a bit more promo for it that game would have done really well. was a real nice, unique and balanced multiplayer game when it worked as intended.

3rd person like gears of war for those that never played it.

If ur hell bent on X, dont ask for X vs Y suggestions

I consider them like big summer blockbuster movies. They get all the press, make loads of money and can be fun. But they are not the most artistic games and other genres tend to be deeper both in terms of gameplay and story.

The best one i've played in the last few years would be Portal 2.

For shooters I always prefer the 1st person prospective when playing competitive multiplayer, but in a single player world where I am exploring I like to be able to switch between 1st person and 3rd person, a good example of this is Fallout NV, though if i had to pick one I would always go with 1st person. 

Case: Corsair C70 GunMetalBlack, CPU: Intel 3570k, Mobo: Asus p8z77-v lx, CPU Cooler: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 2, RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz lp, Video Card: Asus HD7950 DC2 Top V2, SSD: Samsung 840 pro, HDD: one Seagate 2TB Barracuda, PSU: BeQuiet! Dark Power pro 10 650w, Monitor: Dell UltraSharp u2412m, Keyboard: CoolerMaster QuickFire tk (Brown Switches), Mouse: Steelseries Sensei raw, Sennheiser HD 558

I mostly play fps now because it's a simple genera. When all you have to do is click on the enemies it's easier to deal with the ridiculous nonsense the developers did to ruin the game. In more complex games, like RTS or even some RPG's, there are so many things that can break the gameplay that it's just too risky for me to put in the time, especially in the competitive online game types that  I enjoy playing.

Also, no attention span anymore. The internet has completely destroyed my attention span. I can't even watch a movie all the way through without also doing something else.

Yeah well, FPS Games...

For single player i really like old-school style FPS with lots of enemies, without health regeneration, loads of different ridiculous weapons and so on... Why? Because the modern FP MMS like CoD are completely boring and suck like hell... Just pop out of cover, kill some enemies, get back into cover, wait till health regenerates, pop out again... you know what i mean... besides that the level design ist just basically a big corridor with cut scene or QTE breaks. And pretty much every MMS shooter since 2007 is the same. Same guns, same enemies, same gameplay... boring

With that said, I must admit that Far Cry 3 was a really nice game, enjoied that very much because of the freedom and choices that i could make myself.

Some videos that pretty much show my opinion:

youtu.be/JOHyD49DaeA

youtu.be/W1ZtBCpo0eU

youtu.be/0Q6UQ2QlRH0

Mutliplayer FPS

Is difficult to me, i like the more realistic speed of MMS in the multiplayer, old titles like quake 3 or Unreal tournament are too fast in my opinion, or i am too slow, choose what you want. But the RPG elements suck like hell... why do i have to unlock weapons and equipment? The guys who played the game longer allready have an advantage because they know the maps and the gameplay better + they got the better equipment. That´s just not right. In a real RPG no one would PvP a lvl 60 character with his own lvl 5 guy, but in modern FPS you are forced to do this. Yeah well and killstreaks and such stuff... just complete BS.

I like all types of games but when I got it into PC's as a youngin' I was playing Doom, Duke Nukem 3D, Quake, Blood, RoTT, etc... So I have a lot of love for the FPS genre. Doom being the first FPS I had played the immersion factor was freakin awesome. Me only having played games before that like Oragon Trail, Myst, Journeyman Project Turbo, Ultimate Domain and War Craft. This was a very exciting thing to see then after Doom the market got flooded and then Quake blew our minds again with a fully 3d rendered world. Then Half Life came out and made everyone realize that a FPS could have a full story to be immersed in instead of just a paragraph at the end on an episode. And for me Call of Duty was the next and last real change to the FPS to a modern style we see today which was awesome to experience. But by now I am tired of shooters I still buy them and play them but we need a refresh or a throw back to the old school. A ton of kick ass unrealistic weapons which I can carry all at once ugh DNF really pissed me off with all the s-talk by duke to the modern shooters and DNF was an exact clone of modern shooters (sorry for that rant), no regenerating health, large maps with puzzles not a rails shooter but I am sure you older gamers get the idea. And as for the younger generation do yourself a favor and play some old games from ID, 3D Realms, and Valve as these are kings IMO.

Super OP AF Killer Retro Emulation PC 360 No Scope 420 Blaze It (Sorry I Couldn't Help It) Seriously Though This PC Is Overkill And Before You Ask It Does Play Crysis 1024x768 60 FPS

Intel Core Duo 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz // ASUS P5N-D // Zalman CNPS9500A Air Cooler // 4GB G.Skill @ 400MHz 5 5 5 31 23 // 2 Way SLI GeForce 9800 GTX+ // 32" SONY WEGA CRT TV 480i // Corsair TX750 // Seagate 3TB // Win XP 32Bit // Sony DVD RW // ANTEC Full Tower // Steel Series H Wireless // Logitech K520 Wireless Keyboard // Logitech M510 Wireless Mouse // Logitech G27 Racing Wheel // Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS // HORI Fight Stick Mini // 8Bitdo NES30 Pro / FC30 Pro / SNES30 / SFC30 Bluetooth Controllers

Future Upgrades The New 8Bitdo Wireless SNES Controller With Analog Sticks / 8Bitdo Bluetooth Arcade Fight Stick / Proper HD I Know This Machine Does Not Support 3 TB / Icy Dock 5.25 4 Bay HD Hot Swap Bay For More Seamless Multi Booting Want To Run At Least Win 95, Win XP, Win 7 

i7 3770k @ 4.5Ghz // ASUS Maximus V Formula // CM Hyper 212 EVO // 16GB G.Skill Sniper @ 2133MHz 9 11 10 28 // Crossfire Sapphire 7970 // 42" 4K 60Hz FreeSync WasabiMango IPS // Corsair AX860 // Samsung 1TB 840EVO // Seagate 3TB // Seagate Barracuda 160GB sata II // OCZ Vertex 3 90GB sata III // Win 10 64Bit // ASUS DVD RW // 2 Corsair AF 120 // 2 Corsair SP 120 // 2 xigmatek 120 // Corsair 760t white flavor // NZXT HUE+ RGB Controller // Sennheiser G4me Zero // Steel Series H // Corsair M95 // Corsair K95 // 3 Xbox 360 Controllers // Dolphin Bar // Wii U Mote // Leap Motion Plus // Logitech G27 Racing Wheel // Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS // HORI Fight Stick Mini // 8Bitdo NES30 Pro / FC30 Pro / SNES30 / SFC30 Bluetooth Controllers

Future Upgrades 1080Ti or Vega RX64 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/16900-nothing-special/

Yeah well, FPS Games...

For single player i really like old-school style FPS with lots of enemies, without health regeneration, loads of different ridiculous weapons and so on... Why? Because the modern FP MMS like CoD are completely boring and suck like hell... Just pop out of cover, kill some enemies, get back into cover, wait till health regenerates, pop out again... you know what i mean... besides that the level design ist just basically a big corridor with cut scene or QTE breaks. And pretty much every MMS shooter since 2007 is the same. Same guns, same enemies, same gameplay... boring

With that said, I must admit that Far Cry 3 was a really nice game, enjoied that very much because of the freedom and choices that i could make myself.

Some videos that pretty much show my opinion:

youtu.be/JOHyD49DaeA

youtu.be/W1ZtBCpo0eU

youtu.be/0Q6UQ2QlRH0

Mutliplayer FPS

Is difficult to me, i like the more realistic speed of MMS in the multiplayer, old titles like quake 3 or Unreal tournament are too fast in my opinion, or i am too slow, choose what you want. But the RPG elements suck like hell... why do i have to unlock weapons and equipment? The guys who played the game longer allready have an advantage because they know the maps and the gameplay better + they got the better equipment. That´s just not right. In a real RPG no one would PvP a lvl 60 character with his own lvl 5 guy, but in modern FPS you are forced to do this. Yeah well and killstreaks and such stuff... just complete BS.

I have recently beat Far Cry 3 and I don't see what all the hype was about not a bad game though I would recommend if you haven't played it to surely buy it. I just found it wat too easy I played all the way through on the hardest difficulty didn't take over any of the bases until after the credits and never fast traveled. I just never found any of the fire fights to be a challange.

Super OP AF Killer Retro Emulation PC 360 No Scope 420 Blaze It (Sorry I Couldn't Help It) Seriously Though This PC Is Overkill And Before You Ask It Does Play Crysis 1024x768 60 FPS

Intel Core Duo 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz // ASUS P5N-D // Zalman CNPS9500A Air Cooler // 4GB G.Skill @ 400MHz 5 5 5 31 23 // 2 Way SLI GeForce 9800 GTX+ // 32" SONY WEGA CRT TV 480i // Corsair TX750 // Seagate 3TB // Win XP 32Bit // Sony DVD RW // ANTEC Full Tower // Steel Series H Wireless // Logitech K520 Wireless Keyboard // Logitech M510 Wireless Mouse // Logitech G27 Racing Wheel // Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS // HORI Fight Stick Mini // 8Bitdo NES30 Pro / FC30 Pro / SNES30 / SFC30 Bluetooth Controllers

Future Upgrades The New 8Bitdo Wireless SNES Controller With Analog Sticks / 8Bitdo Bluetooth Arcade Fight Stick / Proper HD I Know This Machine Does Not Support 3 TB / Icy Dock 5.25 4 Bay HD Hot Swap Bay For More Seamless Multi Booting Want To Run At Least Win 95, Win XP, Win 7 

i7 3770k @ 4.5Ghz // ASUS Maximus V Formula // CM Hyper 212 EVO // 16GB G.Skill Sniper @ 2133MHz 9 11 10 28 // Crossfire Sapphire 7970 // 42" 4K 60Hz FreeSync WasabiMango IPS // Corsair AX860 // Samsung 1TB 840EVO // Seagate 3TB // Seagate Barracuda 160GB sata II // OCZ Vertex 3 90GB sata III // Win 10 64Bit // ASUS DVD RW // 2 Corsair AF 120 // 2 Corsair SP 120 // 2 xigmatek 120 // Corsair 760t white flavor // NZXT HUE+ RGB Controller // Sennheiser G4me Zero // Steel Series H // Corsair M95 // Corsair K95 // 3 Xbox 360 Controllers // Dolphin Bar // Wii U Mote // Leap Motion Plus // Logitech G27 Racing Wheel // Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS // HORI Fight Stick Mini // 8Bitdo NES30 Pro / FC30 Pro / SNES30 / SFC30 Bluetooth Controllers

Future Upgrades 1080Ti or Vega RX64 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/16900-nothing-special/

I'm not crazy abou the genre but when I do play I play more single player. When I play an fps I play bioshock, crysis 1, or borderlands 2. I picked up bioshock infinite today so I will be playing through that at some point but other than that I am not a huge fan of fps's.