PSA: Dont buy a 480 yet until issue investigated

ivan134

Apparently, the 480 does not meet PCI-E spec and draws more than its rated for. There is a potential to damage your motherboard. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/4qfwd4/rx480_fails_pcie_specification/

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

This will be interesting... let me grab my popcorn.

AMD responds:

We have extensive testing internally on our PCIE compliance and RX480 passed our testing. However we have received feedback from some of the reviewers on high current observed on PCIE in some cases. We are looking into these scenarios as we speak and reproduce these scenarios internally. Our engineering team is fully engaged.

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/4qfy9d/i_work_at_amd_the_time_has_come_to_ama_about/d4smb2m

CPU: AMD 5950X    MB: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero    RAM: HyperX Predator 64GB    GPU: Nvidia RTX 3090 Ti FE    SSD: Seagate FireCuda 530 2TB    
PSU: EVGA 1200w P2    COOLING: EK AIO Elite 360    CASE: Fractal Design Torrent 
   DISPLAY: LG CX48 4k OLED    AUDIO: HIFIMAN Arya SE

7 minutes ago, ivan134 said:

Apparently, the 480 does not meet PCI-E spec and draws more than its rated for. There is a potential to damage your motherboard. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/4qfwd4/rx480_fails_pcie_specification/

So... We have a contest to see which side, AMD or Nvidia, have a more fuck up launch? Neat! let me grab some popcorn

My rig: Intel Core i7 4790k | MSI Z97 PC Mate | GSKILL Ripjaws X 16GB 1866MHz | ADATA Premier SP550 480GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Seagate Barracuda 2TB  | MSI Gaming X GTX 1070 | Thermaltake Versa N21 | Corsair CX550M Semi Modular PSU | AOC G2460PF 144Hz | Logitech G502 | GSKILL Ripjaws KM780  | GAMDIAS HEPHAESTUS V2  PCPartPicker | Old Build Log | New Build Log

Damn im glad i didnt wait for that 

giphy.gif

''Daddy CumTits 2.0'' (pc):

CPU - Intel i7 8700k

GPU - Asus Strix 1080 8gb

RAM - 2x8gb Corsair Vengance 

MOBO - Asus Prime Z370-p

PSU - Corsair RM750x

10 minutes ago, Megazero said:

So... We have a contest to see which side, AMD or Nvidia, have a more fuck up launch? Neat! let me grab some popcorn

I don't know what Nvidia fucked up?

Not being able to buy their gpu?  That's not their fault.  It's the result of a free market system.

Any company purposely under producing their product to gain "hype" is just stupid.  Nvidia sells the gpus to retailers at cost.  If some guy at Ebay decides to sell a 1080 for $1,000 Nvidia is not taking a cent of what that guy is gouging.

3 minutes ago, wasd said:

Not being able to buy their gpu?  That's not their fault.  It's the result of a free market system.

Any company purposely under producing their product to gain "hype" is just stupid.  Nvidia sells the gpus to retailers at cost.  If some guy at Ebay decides to sell a 1080 for $1,000 Nvidia is not taking a cent of what that guy is gouging.

Nvidia overhyped the card and moreless falsely advertised temperatures and overclock expectations. They also held a lot of the chips in house this time so they could keep cranking out FE cards while leaving the board partners with shortages.

CPU: AMD 5950X    MB: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero    RAM: HyperX Predator 64GB    GPU: Nvidia RTX 3090 Ti FE    SSD: Seagate FireCuda 530 2TB    

5 minutes ago, wasd said:

For the record, I already got my 1070.

What Nvidia fuck up is not able to product enough 1070 and 1080 in the first place. 970 and 980 launch also on a free market just like now, but they never have the same problem. Plus the whole "we will price our FE $100 more to not undercut our partner, AIB card will be closer to MSRP price" and almost every AIB card is like 20$ cheaper than FE or higher. I'm not talking about Price gouging here, I'm talking about the actual retail price of those AIB card.

My rig: Intel Core i7 4790k | MSI Z97 PC Mate | GSKILL Ripjaws X 16GB 1866MHz | ADATA Premier SP550 480GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Seagate Barracuda 2TB  | MSI Gaming X GTX 1070 | Thermaltake Versa N21 | Corsair CX550M Semi Modular PSU | AOC G2460PF 144Hz | Logitech G502 | GSKILL Ripjaws KM780  | GAMDIAS HEPHAESTUS V2  PCPartPicker | Old Build Log | New Build Log

4 minutes ago, Megazero said:

"we will price our FE $100 more to not undercut our partner"

No...It's so they can advertise an artifically deflated MSRP.

8 minutes ago, wasd said:

#iwant4GB

1 minute ago, Yamoto42 said:

#iwant4GB

That's literally what they and the people who go to the press event said. Ofc what it actually mean we all already know

I've kinda wondered how cards dealt with different power supply rails feeding it... I wonder if it is done purely in hardware, in which case they might be in trouble, or if there is some software based control they can apply to it, to redirect the loading. So, more wait and see...

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

2 hours ago, Kryptyx said:

Nvidia overhyped the card and moreless falsely advertised temperatures and overclock expectations. They also held a lot of the chips in house this time so they could keep cranking out FE cards while leaving the board partners with shortages.

From what I recall, their projected equivalence in performance more or less hit the mark.

Please don't bother bringing up temperatures/thermal throttling issues.  FFS it's boost mode.  If you don't know the difference between base and boost go home and ask one of your parents to research it for you.

Keeping chips in house and selling them isn't the same as keeping chips in house and sitting on them.  After all, every business exists for profit.

2 hours ago, Megazero said:

For the record, I already got my 1070.

What Nvidia fuck up is not able to product enough 1070 and 1080 in the first place. 970 and 980 launch also on a free market just like now, but they never have the same problem. Plus the whole "we will price our FE $100 more to not undercut our partner, AIB card will be closer to MSRP price" and almost every AIB card is like 20$ cheaper than FE or higher. I'm not talking about Price gouging here, I'm talking about the actual retail price of those AIB card.

The preview of the link below starts with:

Is Nvidia Facing GTX 980 and GTX 970 Supply Issues ? – Maxwell Is Becoming Harder To Come By

http://wccftech.com/nvidia-may-be-facing-gtx-980-gtx-970-supply-issues/

2 hours ago, Yamoto42 said:

#iwant4GB

That's fucking the consumer, not the launch.

9 minutes ago, wasd said:

From what I recall, their projected equivalence in performance more or less hit the mark.

Please don't bother bringing up temperatures/thermal throttling issues.  FFS it's boost mode.  If you don't know the difference between base and boost go home and ask one of your parents to research it for you.

Keeping chips in house and selling them isn't the same as keeping chips in house and sitting on them.  After all, every business exists for profit.

You're new, welcome! Obviously you didn't see the press event where they were sitting at 2100mhz and saying it was running at 67°C. This was a very specific demo that didn't utilize the card fully in order to keep temps down, a clear marketing ploy. With that initial press event a lot of people thought things would be performing better than what they do. Not really sure why you are talking about base vs boost... and yes I know the difference.

Nvidia keeping the chips in house only hurts the market because the FE sucks compared to the board partner designs. I get why they did it but they could of made more money selling the chips to the board partners than sitting on a pile of FE that no one really wants, especially when it comes at a price premium over the better board partner designed cards.

I think if you did any research you could clearly see this has been a rough launch for Nvidia, it'll all get worked out once supply and demand regulate but still. From the looks of it though, AMD isn't doing much better with the 480 launch.

In the future take time to think about what you write before lashing out when someone disagrees with you.

31 minutes ago, Kryptyx said:

You're new, welcome! Obviously you didn't see the press event where they were sitting at 2100mhz and saying it was running at 67°C. This was a very specific demo that didn't utilize the card fully in order to keep temps down, a clear marketing ploy. With that initial press event a lot of people thought things would be performing better than what they do. Not really sure why you are talking about base vs boost... and yes I know the difference.

Are you claiming that they lied about it hitting 2.1 GHz at 67 C in a heavily air conditioned room?

35 minutes ago, Kryptyx said:

Nvidia keeping the chips in house only hurts the market because the FE sucks compared to the board partner designs. I get why they did it but they could of made more money selling the chips to the board partners than sitting on a pile of FE that no one really wants, especially when it comes at a price premium over the better board partner designed cards.

I think if you did any research you could clearly see this has been a rough launch for Nvidia, it'll all get worked out once supply and demand regulate but still. From the looks of it though, AMD isn't doing much better with the 480 launch.

In the future take time to think about what you write before lashing out when someone disagrees with you.

And AMD said the RX 480 beat the 1080 in crossfire, welcome to marketing. Lime or cherry it's both Kool-Aid.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

18 minutes ago, othertomperson said:

Are you claiming that they lied about it hitting 2.1 GHz at 67 C in a heavily air conditioned room?

No, they clearly hit the number but the card was not running a normal benchmark. The card had very little workload and they tried to market it as if this was what was to be expected while rendering a game - which is not true.

20 minutes ago, Kryptyx said:

No, they clearly hit the number but the card was not running a normal benchmark. The card had very little workload and they tried to market it as if this was what was to be expected while rendering a game - which is not true.

The issue I have with what you are saying is that GPUboost 3.0 doesn't work that way. If you aren't doing anything intensive with the card, it will down-clock itself. In order to keep an overclock as extreme as 2.1 GHz, it needs to be doing something.