Any rx 480 crossfire reviews up yet?

BlackXbonE

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/RX_480_Crossfire/ - TechPowerUp has done one. Not too sure about others.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

you dont need any

if you can afford two 480s then you can afford to buy a single more powerful GPU which is a much better choice

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

you dont need any

if you can afford two 480s then you can afford to buy a single more powerful GPU which is a much better choice

This! A thousand times this.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

6 minutes ago, Enderman said:

you dont need any

^^^^ 100% agree with this

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.

39 minutes ago, Enderman said:

you dont need any

38 minutes ago, App4that said:

This! A thousand times this.

33 minutes ago, kameshss said:

^^^^ 100% agree with this

Can you PLEASE follow the topic. I only wanted to know if there were any reviews up, and i didnt want to hear the same one-better-card-over-two-cheaper-thing you read in pretty much EVERY gpu thread/review over and over again.

However, since I have a freesync monitor i wont go nvidia anytime soon - but i want to upgrade since my single 390x seems to struggle a bit and with vega being still in the more or less distant future rx 480 x-fire would be a valid upgrade for me i guess.

40 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/RX_480_Crossfire/ - TechPowerUp has done one. Not too sure about others.

Thanks for the only usefull reply so far :) In games with x-fire working the rx 480 seems to be just under the 1080 which is really impressive since it's like a 3rd of the price. Might consider that. 

7 minutes ago, BlackXbonE said:

Thanks for the only usefull reply so far :) In games with x-fire working the rx 480 seems to be just under the 1080 which is really impressive since it's like a 3rd of the price. Might consider that. 

Two 8g reference 480s cost 480 dollars US.

Your math is off.

7 minutes ago, BlackXbonE said:

Can you PLEASE follow the topic. I only wanted to know if there were any reviews up, and i didnt want to hear the same one-better-card-over-two-cheaper-thing you read in pretty much EVERY gpu thread/review over and over again.

However, since I have a freesync monitor i wont go nvidia anytime soon - but i want to upgrade since my single 390x seems to struggle a bit and with vega being still i the more or less distant future rx 480 x-fire would be a valid upgrade for me i guess.

then why would you do rx480 crossfire if you already have a 390x which is the same or better than a 480???

uses some sense!

get a used 390x for cheap, or wait for better AMD cards, or buy a 1070/1080 and use it without freesync

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

9 minutes ago, Enderman said:

then why would you do rx480 crossfire if you already have a 390x which is the same or better than a 480???

uses some sense!

get a used 390x for cheap, or wait for better AMD cards, or buy a 1070/1080 and use it without freesync

I fear my psu wont do for 2 390x' (or will it? 850W bronze) and the powerconsumption frightens me aswell.

Id get at least 300€ for my card, so effectively i would only pay for less than a 480 (269€ atm.). 

Ofcourse I would wait for aftermarket coolers. 

And no - I love freesync, so no nvdia for me, even if i wanted to.

15 minutes ago, App4that said:

Two 8g reference 480s cost 480 dollars US.

Your math is off.

480 is 269€, cheapest 1080 ref is 714€ - still makes a ratio of 2.65, definitely closer to 3 than to 2.

3 minutes ago, BlackXbonE said:

I fear my psu wont do for 2 390x' (or will it? 850W bronze) and the powerconsumption frightens me aswell.

Id get at least 300€ for my card, so effectively i would only pay for less than a 480 (269€ atm.). 

Ofcourse I would wait for aftermarket coolers. 

And no - I love freesync, so no nvdia for me, even if i wanted to.

850W is more than enough

the bronze rating doesnt affect that

idk where you think anyone would pay 300e for a 390x, but whatever

and if you're waiting for aftermarket coolers you may as well wait for the 490, or try to buy a used fury/fury X which is still a lot better than a 480, and you would only need 1

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, BlackXbonE said:

480 is 269€, cheapest 1080 ref is 714€ - still makes a ratio of 2.65, definitely closer to 3 than to 2.

You need two to crossfire...

Hardware Unboxed did a review. At 1440p maxed out on CF optimized titles the CF 480 were 14% faster on average than the 1070, and 9% slower than the 1080.

Now, I would just buy a single GTX 1070 (it'll cost the same or even less). 14% of extra perf at best is not worthy if you take into consideration power consumption, poor CF scaling in other titles, heat and space on your PC.

1 minute ago, App4that said:

You need two to crossfire...

... 2 x 269 = 538... there is still 0.65 rx 480s to 714 

7 minutes ago, Enderman said:

850W is more than enough

the bronze rating doesnt affect that

idk where you think anyone would pay 300e for a 390x, but whatever

and if you're waiting for aftermarket coolers you may as well wait for the 490, or try to buy a used fury/fury X which is still a lot better than a 480, and you would only need 1

Sure that 850w is enought? I have asked that before and most said that i needed an a bit stronger psu - since i ocd my 4790k to 4.7 ghz aswell. All reviews i habe seen also use at least 1000w for 390x cf.  

And yes, I would definitely get to sell mine for 300e. New ones are still at 350.

However, if my psu really happens to be capable of 2 390x' i would consider that ober anything else.

12 minutes ago, BlackXbonE said:

Sure that 850w is enought? I have asked that before and most said that i needed an a bit stronger psu - since i ocd my 4790k to 4.7 ghz aswell. All reviews i habe seen also use at least 1000w for 390x cf.  

And yes, I would definitely get to sell mine for 300e. New ones are still at 350.

However, if my psu really happens to be capable of 2 390x' i would consider that ober anything else.

More than enough. I've seen a guy run two R9 290Xs on a 650W PSU. You should still have plenty of headroom under full load and with a heavy overclock.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

7 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

More than enough. I've seen a guy run two R9 290Xs on a 650W PSU. You should still have plenty of headroom under full load and with a heavy overclock.

650w you say? o.O well then, i guess a second 390x it will be. Thx for replying!

54 minutes ago, BlackXbonE said:

91_777_amd-radeon-r9-390x-crossfire-4k.p

this is from the wall

that means the actual power drawn from the PSU is about 90% of this

so less than 700W

Spoiler