Leaving Computer On

Hi guys 

So im going on holiday for 2 weeks soon and I want to know if it's 'safe' to leave my computer on the entire time (not connected to the internet).

It wont be doing anything intensive.

Is there any major reason not to other than saving the environment? (I have solar panels on my roof so im doing my fair share!) 

Thanks

4 minutes ago, Pearsonia said:

Hi guys 

So im going on holiday for 2 weeks soon and I want to know if it's 'safe' to leave my computer on the entire time (not connected to the internet).

It wont be doing anything intensive.

Is there any major reason not to other than saving the environment? (I have solar panels on my roof so im doing my fair share!) 

Thanks

Keeping it off will probably expand its lifetime by two weeks and not sure why you would want it on. If you wanted to remote desktop you would leave it connected to the internet.

CPU: Intel Core i7 3770 @ 3.91 GHz RAM: G.Skill 4x4GB 2133Mhz DDR3 GPU: AMD HD 7970 3GB SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 500GB PSU: Corsair HX620W  Motherboard: Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 Case: Phanteks P400 Tempered Glass (Black) Monitor: Dell P2412H, Dell 2012H Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate Classic Mouse: Logitech G203 Prodigy HDD: WD Black 3TB

Pretty much the only times I turn my computer off are when I'm restarting it for updates or programs or something, and when I go on extended vacations. It won't hurt your computer really, no different from just having it on normally (except a little less harmful because it isn't doing anything), it just might collect more dust than you're used to.

Bigger question is why do you want to leave it on?

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

I have found Windows to behave abnormally when left on for multiple days at a time. I imagine worst case scenario you might find it glitchy when returning to it 2 weeks later but simply restarting it would fix that issue.

just shut it off

shit happens, power surge, etc. 

when i leave my house for extended periods not only do i shut it off, but i unplug all my major electronics (computer, tv, laptop)

Photography / Finance / Gaming

No harm. Unless something gets inside case, your house is hit by lightning or power chock. Or someone smashes something against it.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Uh, you know, it kinda wastes electricity. Just saying :)

Director of Marketing for Antlion Audio, creators of the ModMic.

More info at www.ModMic.com

Ask questions, I'm friendly!

Absolutly not. If something goes wrong, which could happen even with the best PSU´s, your House could burn down.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

9 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

No harm. Unless something gets inside case, your house is hit by lightning or power chock. Or someone smashes something against it.

Is the risk that extreme?

2 minutes ago, Pearsonia said:

I had a BeQuiet PSU once that had a cable fire. I dont think you want come back home and only find a pile of ash.

Turn your PC off, why ever you want leave it on, isnt worth the risk.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

3 minutes ago, Pearsonia said:

k man
there are risks, we've given you our input.
Your call...leave your computer on

let us know how it turns out.
Feel free to prove us wrong

just make sure you tell your neighbors that youre leaving your pc on, for no reason. and that if shit goes wrong. it could ruin lives. 

9 hours ago, mok said:

just make sure you tell your neighbors that youre leaving your pc on, for no reason. and that if shit goes wrong. it could ruin lives. 

You feel very strongly about this!

Maybe stick to the Greenpeace forums? 9_9

9 hours ago, Praesi said:

I had a BeQuiet PSU once that had a cable fire. I dont think you want come back home and only find a pile of ash.

Turn your PC off, why ever you want leave it on, isnt worth the risk.

Thanks for the useful information.

19 minutes ago, Pearsonia said:

You feel very strongly about this!

Maybe stick to the Greenpeace forums? 9_9

Just to clarify i could care less about your energy consumption.

I'm more worried for your house burning down. 

2 hours ago, Pearsonia said:

There's always risk that something happens. Electronic devices aren't fool proof. Which is why I take off my master plug (everything worth more than €50 connected to it) when I leave for more than 3 days.

I would also like to know why would you need it running if there's no internet connection.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

i think everyone is over exaggerating when i was folding i left my computer on 24/7 on like 3 months and encountered no problems. and my computer was at close to 100% load for that whole time and im guessing yours wont 

Leaving it on with no internet connection? Why?

Not doing anything intensive meaning you won't be leaving it to render videos for 2 weeks, or bitcoin,...

CPU: Ryzen 2 2700@ 4.0Ghz    Mobo: Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7 Wifi    Cooler: EVGA CLC 240    GPU: GTX1080 FTW DT @ 2113Mhz   PSU: EVGA 750W P2   

Case: Fractal Design Meshify C   Displays: 34" LG34UC79G, 24" Dell