Process to get fresh Windows 7 on an SSD

m33rak

I recently built a new computer without purchasing any type of hard drive (mechanical or SSD) thinking that I can use the hard drive that I am currently using. I physically moved the hard drive that I'm using into the new computer, but that was unsuccessful. My plan right now is to purchase an SSD and put Windows 7 on that. I just need to know the process to get Windows 7 on a new SSD. More specifically, where do I get Windows 7 installation disk, and what I need to look for when buying one (disk or digital copy). Once I buy the OS, I'm not sure what to do from there. Any advice would be appreciated, thank you.
One more thing, what size of an SSD should I get specifically for the OS? 120, 240, or what? I am looking into getting an SSD from Samsung.

7 minutes ago, m33rak said:

I recently built a new computer without purchasing any type of hard drive (mechanical or SSD) thinking that I can use the hard drive that I am currently using. I physically moved the hard drive that I'm using into the new computer, but that was unsuccessful. My plan right now is to purchase an SSD and put Windows 7 on that. I just need to know the process to get Windows 7 on a new SSD. More specifically, where do I get Windows 7 installation disk, and what I need to look for when buying one (disk or digital copy). Once I buy the OS, I'm not sure what to do from there. Any advice would be appreciated, thank you.
One more thing, what size of an SSD should I get specifically for the OS? 120, 240, or what? I am looking into getting an SSD from Samsung.

Why is everyone so determined to get Windows 7 on their first build. Seriously. It is antiquated. It is old. It is rubbish.

You can buy Windows 10 from Microsoft's Website and it will give you the option of a Digital Download or a USB. If you pick Digital Download then you will have to grab a USB and download Windows Media Creation Tool and make the USB bootable.

If you bought the USB option then all you will have to do is plug into the computer you want to install Windows on.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

If you're only installing the OS on the main drive, then 120 GB will be fine. But you're likely going to want to install some programs on the SSD as well, for the faster boot times. Also, all your desktop items, if you have any, and your documents, pictures, etc, by default are stored on your OS drive, and so that stuff will take up space over time. 120 GB might still be fine for all that stuff, but if you're able, 240 GB will likely be a lot more comfortable in the long term.

Microsoft has made an updated image of Windows 7 with all the updates released so far, preinstalled. If you have a Windows 7 serial key, you can access a download for the Windows 7 ISO here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows7

If you use Microsoft's updated ISO to install Windows 7, and don't want the telemetry and data-collection MS added to Windows 7 since August 2015, you can run the script linked-to in my signature after installing Windows 7, and it will remove those updates and prevent them from being reinstalled or looked for by Windows Update.

I think Windows 7 can be installed from a USB dongle, as well as a disc.

You can buy Windows 7 from many places, including ebay, Craigslist, https://www.reddit.com/r/microsoftsoftwareswap/

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

7 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Why is everyone so determined to get Windows 7 on their first build. Seriously. It is antiquated. It is old. It is rubbish.

It's essentially Windows 10 without spyware, bloatware, adware, with a better start menu, with more control over visual and account settings, and updates, and is much more stable... yeah, why would anyone want that, I wonder?

Also, if they buy Windows 7, they also get a free upgrade to Windows 10, and they forever have both registered with the same license, and can use either whenever they want. It's also cheaper to buy Windows 7 than 10, which means that even if a person wants Windows 10, then it's cheaper to buy Windows 7 and upgrade for free to Windows 10 while the offer is still around.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

6 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

It's essentially Windows 10 without spyware, bloatware, adware, with a better start menu, with more control over visual and account settings and updates, and is much more stable... yeah, why would anyone want that, I wonder?

Also, if they buy Windows 7, they also get a free upgrade to Windows 10, and they forever have both registered with the same license, and can use either whenever they want. It's also cheaper to buy Windows 7 than 10, which means that even if a person wants Windows 10, then it's cheaper to buy Windows 7 and upgrade for free to Windows 10 while the offer is still around.

As I've said many times before,

just because you dislike Windows 10 doesn't mean you have to bring this upon other people.

It is not spyware, it is not adware nor bloatware. It has a superior start menu and is perfect in terms of account settings and updates and is considerably stable. Windows 7 is legacy. You should be thankful you can still use it.

It's slightly cheaper to buy Windows 7 because they want to get rid of it. Nobody makes anymore Windows 7 keys except Windows 7 Pro. Once they run out you'll need to pay more for Windows 7 than Windows 10.

20 minutes ago, m33rak said:

If you have a Skylake processor your computer won't have any support in less than 6 months because Skylake isn't supported on Windows 7. It requires Windows 10 for Support. If you have any issues, Microsoft has the right to ignore you because you aren't using the officially supported corresponding Windows version.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

42 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

As I've said many times before,

just because you dislike Windows 10 doesn't mean you have to bring this upon other people.

It is not spyware, it is not adware nor bloatware. It has a superior start menu and is perfect in terms of account settings and updates and is considerably stable. Windows 7 is legacy. You should be thankful you can still use it.

Bring what upon people? The OP is asking about Windows 7, and I've only commented accurately and honestly about it, and about some attractive differences it has with Win 10. Don't get pretentious and arrogant.

Windows 10 has telemetry and data-collection which spies on activities and sends the data to MS, and so that's spyware. It has in-OS ads, and so contains adware. It has a lot of extra services preinstalled that could be considered bloatware, like Groove Music, Windows Store, Skype.

Both Windows 7 and 10 are essentially running on the same kernel, and the day when Windows 7 no longer works is probably the same day that Windows 10 no longer works. The two OSes are more identical than they are different, but many of the differences are worse on Windows 10 than in Windows 7. Saying "You should be thankful you can still use it" shows a lack of understanding from you. Windows 10 is mostly a repackaging of Windows 7 and 8, with lots of monetization features built into it to earn MS money whenever a person uses it without disabling all that stuff.

And Windows 7's start menu is better than Win 10's, as Win 10's reduces its functionality, not letting programs be pinned to the start menu - only in the live tiles.

It's slightly cheaper to buy Windows 7 because they want to get rid of it. Nobody makes anymore Windows 7 keys except Windows 7 Pro. Once they run out you'll need to pay more for Windows 7 than Windows 10.

That argument is lacking sense. Windows 7 is cheaper because it's older, not because people necessarily want to get rid of it due to Windows 10 being something great. Also, saying "nobody makes anymore Windows 7 keys" is silly, because Microsoft is the only company who makes Windows licenses, and Windows 10 is Microsoft's latest OS, and therefore is obviously the OS that they're going to be selling.

Microsoft has stopped selling Windows 7, not because there isn't an interest in it, or because it doesn't run on modern hardware (it runs anywhere that Win 10 does), but because Microsoft wants people using Windows 10 because MS makes money from people using any of Win10's services, and from the telemetry and data-collection of the OS. Likewise, Microsoft isn't forcing Win 7 and 8 PCs to install Windows 10 because it's helpful for the owners of those PCs, but because MS is trying to maximize their profit, with consideration for the customer being a distant priority of theirs.

If you have a Skylake processor your computer won't have any support in less than 6 months because Skylake isn't supported on Windows 7. It requires Windows 10 for Support. If you have any issues, Microsoft has the right to ignore you because you aren't using the officially supported corresponding Windows version.

'Not supported' doesn't mean it won't run... it will still run. But Microsoft won't back-implement utilization of new CPU technologies into Windows 7. That's all that it means. MS DOS doesn't have specific support for any hardware made since before the year 2000, but it will still run on all x86 hardware released up till now.

I tried to use Windows 10, but it doesn't agree with programs that I use on a daily basis (Dragon NaturallySpeaking, for example). Thanks for your comments.
Maybe with my new computer, Windows 10 will make everything load faster and more efficiently. If I get the Windows 7 disk and upgrade to Windows 10, will I still be able to downgrade back to Windows 7 if things don't work properly?

5 minutes ago, m33rak said:

I tried to use Windows 10, but it doesn't agree with programs that I use on a daily basis (Dragon NaturallySpeaking, for example). Thanks for your comments.
Maybe with my new computer, Windows 10 will make everything load faster and more efficiently. If I get the Windows 7 disk and upgrade to Windows 10, will I still be able to downgrade back to Windows 7 if things don't work properly?

Yes, and you can also dual boot both Windows 7 and 10 on separate partitions. That's what I do. So far, there isn't anything that one runs that the other doesn't also run. The differences are more the UI, customization, Win 10 boots up faster and enters sleep mode faster... but programs run the same in either OS.

Also the Win 10 start menu can be replaced to function like the Win 7 start menu, with various programs. I use startisback++.

Dragon NaturallySpeaking  is a software that causes problem in every newer of Windows. They really wants you to get the latest and greatest version for new version of Windows. So as you guessed it, the latest version works with Windows 10 and previous version of Windows. Sucks, but I guess that is how they make their money, and taking advantage of basically no competition. Every new version of Windows, I read the same thing from people using this software sadly.

Windows 10 will benefit more from your new computer. You get to play with the coming up games published by Microsoft which are said to be Windows 10 exclusive (and XBox One), you have DirectX12 support, and has full UEFI support (note that because the system requires a full wipe to switch to UEFI mode from Legacy mode (emulates the old BIOS), upgrading to 10 will not work.. you'll be looking at a clean install, which you can do, if you don't mind)

You can upgrade to Windows 10 at any time for free before July 29 (I would do it 1-2 weeks before the deadline, as I am sure Microsoft servers will be busy). Microsoft has no information on an paying upgrade edition. They'll probably reveal it soon after the free upgrade offer ends. As for now, it will be a full license price.

Once upgraded to Windows 10, you can downgrade back to Windows 7. You can also clean install Windows 10 right now, and use your Windows 7 product key. Windows 10 will take it, and activation servers of Microsoft will do its magic to upgrade your license, much like you do a normal Windows 7 to Windows 10 upgrade.

In the end, pick what you want. Forgive AlumniumTech, he just tries to get people the best experience possible from his eyes. He is quiet passionate about doing so. Of course, he doesn't know you nor your real needs, and nor can he guaranty the best experience possible, but he tries. and doesn't want people to feel screwed over by spending a bunch of money, in this case on Windows, when they are 2 versions behind, and is basically discontinued (but still supported until 2020), only to go out an buy a new license of Windows all over again. He has a great experience, and he wants/hope that you have the same joyful experience as he does.

3 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

Bring what upon people? The OP is asking about Windows 7, and I've only commented accurately and honestly about it, and about differences it has with Win 10. Don't get pretentious and arrogant.

Windows 10 has telemetry and data-collection which spies on activities and sends the data to MS, and so that's spyware. It has in-OS ads, and so contains adware. It has a lot of extra services preinstalled that could be considered bloatware, like Groove Music.

Both Windows 7 and 10 are essentially running on the same kernel, and the day when Windows 7 no longer works is probably the same day that Windows 10 no longer works. The two OSes are more identical than they are different, but many of the differences are worse on Windows 10 than in Windows 7. Saying "You should be thankful you can still use it" shows a lack of understanding from you. Windows 10 is mostly a repackaging of Windows 7 and 8, with lots of monetization features built into it to earn MS money whenever a person uses it without disabling all that stuff.

That argument is lacking sense. Windows 7 is cheaper because it's older, not because people necessarily want to get rid of it due to Windows 10 being something great. Also, saying "nobody makes anymore Windows 7 keys" is silly, because Microsoft is the only company who makes Windows licenses, and Windows 10 is Microsoft's latest OS, and therefore is obviously the OS that they're going to be selling.

Microsoft has stopped selling Windows 7, not because there isn't an interest in it, or because it doesn't run on modern hardware (it runs anywhere that Win 10 does), but because Microsoft wants people using Windows 10 because MS makes money from people using all of Win10's services, and from the telemetry and data-collection of the OS. Likewise, Microsoft isn't forcing Win 7 and 8 PCs to install Windows 10 because it's helpful for the owners of those PCs, but because everything MS is doing is trying to maximize their profit, with consideration for the customer being a distant priority of theirs.

'Not supported' doesn't mean it won't run... it will still run. But Microsoft won't back-implement utilization of new CPU technologies into Windows 7. That's all that it means. MS DOS doesn't have specific support for any hardware made since before the year 2000, but it will still run on all hardware released since then.

Did you read anything I said? Windows 7 keys are no longer being produced. they haven't been produced in over 1.5 years. When they run out then anyone wanting Windows will be forced to get Windows 8, 8.1 or Windows 10.

Windows 10's kernel is very different from Windows 7's kernel.  Windows 10 is meant to succeed Windows 8.1 and that was meant to succeed Windows 8 and that was meant succeed Windows 7.

Do you see the problem? They're supporting too many platforms and stretching their resources thin.

1 minute ago, m33rak said:

Yes but you if you ever decide to go back to Windows 10 you'll need to pay after the Free Upgrade expires.

And also, idk if your aware of this but Cortana can do a lot of what Dragon can do. Windows 10 is worth it.

18 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Did you read anything I said? Windows 7 keys are no longer being produced. they haven't been produced in over 1.5 years. When they run out then anyone wanting Windows will be forced to get Windows 8, 8.1 or Windows 10.

Windows 10's kernel is very different from Windows 7's kernel.  Windows 10 is meant to succeed Windows 8.1 and that was meant to succeed Windows 8 and that was meant succeed Windows 7.

Do you see the problem? They're supporting too many platforms and stretching their resources thin.

Windows 7 Home / Professional / Ultimate retail keys continue to be available for sale in used / unused markets, and used retail keys are transferable to new owners. Getting one is really not a problem.

The kernels are more similar than different. And the bottom line is that whether a person is running Win 7, 8, or 10, they are mostly running the the same OS, with the same core functionality and performance.

Yes but you if you ever decide to go back to Windows 10 you'll need to pay after the Free Upgrade expires.

And also, idk if your aware of this but Cortana can do a lot of what Dragon can do. Windows 10 is worth it.

People will not have to pay to revert from Windows 10 after the free upgrade period expires. A Windows 7 license which is upgraded to Windows 10 will continue to be a Windows 7 license, while also being a Windows 10 license, and a person will always be able to install either Windows 7 or Windows 10 using that same license. When accepting the free upgrade, a Windows 7 / 8 license merely gains additional recognition as also being a Windows 10 license.

I think getting the free upgrade to Windows 10 is definitely worth doing with a Windows 7 license (there's only 1 month left for the offer, I think). But I think that having a Windows 7 license that is also a Windows 10 license is better than having just a Windows 10 license.

If you want to upgrade to Windows 10 for free after the cycle ends, just have the install files downloaded before the upgrade cycle ends, therefore the key will still work and you can still install Windows 10