Ethernet speeds lower than Wifi and still not giving me what I'm paying for

Seireitou

About 2-3 months ago I built my first PC, great experience. Took me nine hours the first day and now I can take it apart and put it together in 30 minutes flat. xD 

My computer before that was an old One in all PC with W7 upgraded to W10, on Wifi I was getting about 25mbps and on my new computer I'm getting 16-17mbps on ETHERNET. I'm not understanding what the problem is. The speed I'm paying for is 60mbps and its obvious I wont be hitting that with Wifi but why is my speeds going down instead of a drastic boost. I've had no disconnection problems, very few ping spikes (Used to happen a lot on wifi) but my speed is lower. When downloading something I cap at 2MB/s.

I have a Asus z97-E board and using a CAT6 brand new cord. Now before you people say "It must be the board, it must be the cord" I've replaced the motherboard AND the cord at least once, same exact speeds. This is a little annoyance that keeps biting me in the but when I'm trying to download 30-40GB games. 

Could it be drivers, some settings I have to tinker with, something to unlock? >.< Please help me out with this, I'd like to be at least getting 40-50mbps on ethernet.

P.S The cords size is 25ft, I heard that at this size there should be no problems but just tossing that out there. 

Thank you for your time!

Where do you live?

Who is your provider?

What Router/Modem do you have?

Hello

5 minutes ago, TAHIRMIA said:

Where do you live?

Who is your provider?

What Router/Modem do you have?

The woodlands TX

Charter

Some old Netgear router and Arris modem that the cable company gave us.

go into your router settings and see whether there's any ethernet settings you can tinker with as that doesn't sound right :/ 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

1 minute ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

go into your router settings and see whether there's any ethernet settings you can tinker with as that doesn't sound right :/ 

Nice seeing you around Meer!

Um, how exactly do I do that? Could you perhaps walk me through it?

2 minutes ago, Seireitou said:

Nice seeing you around Meer!

Um, how exactly do I do that? Could you perhaps walk me through it?

:D 

type 192.168.1.1 into a web browser connected to your router with a ethernet cable, find out the password and username to log into your router (usually located on the bottom or the back of the router but if you can't find it then try 'admin' for both user and password). Once logged in, try to find a tab for ethernet ports and see what settings there are. Some routers allow you to enable or disable the type of speeds the ports would allow. 

Good luck :) 

4 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

:D 

type 192.168.1.1 into a web browser connected to your router with a ethernet cable, find out the password and username to log into your router (usually located on the bottom or the back of the router but if you can't find it then try 'admin' for both user and password). Once logged in, try to find a tab for ethernet ports and see what settings there are. Some routers allow you to enable or disable the type of speeds the ports would allow. 

Good luck :) 

Alright I'm in but I'm not seeing anything for Ethernet, is there something else I should be looking for?

1 minute ago, Seireitou said:

Alright I'm in but I'm not seeing anything for Ethernet, is there something else I should be looking for?

Hmmmm...I'm unsure as I don't have that router so no ideas for what settings and other shizzle you can access and change :P 

1 minute ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Hmmmm...I'm unsure as I don't have that router so no ideas for what settings and other shizzle you can access and change :P 

I'm sure there has to be something here. I hate having outdated tech >.> Maybe I can find something on the net as this issue really gets underneath my skin. I just like things to work haha.

3 minutes ago, Seireitou said:

I'm sure there has to be something here. I hate having outdated tech >.> Maybe I can find something on the net as this issue really gets underneath my skin. I just like things to work haha.

Who doesn't eh? Which is why I always end up spending a lot of time on something even if it's just a small problem :P 

5 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Who doesn't eh? Which is why I always end up spending a lot of time on something even if it's just a small problem :P 

Sadly I'm not seeing anything at all. I guess I could buy a new router o..0

I recommend disabling 'Large Send Offload' on both IPv4 and IPv6 in your adapter properties. This just recently doubled my slow ethernet speeds....admidditetly I am using Powerline networking but I wouldn't think that would matter.

good luck.

The computer isn't the "Thing".....the computer is the "Thing" that gets you to the "Thing".  - excerpt from "Halt and Catch Fire".

1 minute ago, middleclasspoor said:

I recommend disabling 'Large Send Offload' on both IPv4 and IPv6 in your adapter properties. This just recently doubled my slow ethernet speeds....admidditetly I am using Powerline networking but I wouldn't think that would matter.

good luck.

I'll try this! Thank you.

7 minutes ago, Seireitou said:

I'll try this! Thank you.

Does this only help window servers???

14 minutes ago, Seireitou said:

Does this only help window servers???

Still doesn't work... 

5 hours ago, Seireitou said:

have you tried bypassing the router? Plug your ethernet cable straight from your PC to the modem and check the speeds, if your getting good speeds it's safe to say your router is bottlenecking... at any rate, id try to factory reset both router and modem, and yea, updating drivers isn't a bad idea, but idk if thats where your main issue is.