Raid 0 configuration with 2 different HDD's?

Evann

Hi,

i got a Seagate Constellation ES 1TB in my rig, and i just got a 2.5" WD Blue (5400rpm) for free.... could it cause any Problems to configure 2 different fast HDD's in Raid 0? Thanks!

Well it will work, but for RAID it's recommended to have 2 exactly the same hard drivers.

How much space does that 2,5" wd disk have?

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

2 minutes ago, Simon771 said:

Well it will work, but for RAID it's recommended to have 2 exactly the same hard drivers.

How much space does that 2,5" wd disk have?

the same, also 1TB.

Just now, Evann said:

the same, also 1TB.

so you will have 2TB of total space if you set for RAID 0.

But expect to have performance decrease, since you are using slower HDD.

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

1 minute ago, Simon771 said:

So you are telling my that i have a slower performance with a Raid 0 then with 2 normal HDD's?

1 minute ago, Evann said:

So you are telling my that i have a slower performance with a Raid 0 then with 2 normal HDD's?

Well that 7200rpm HDD will be performing more like 5400rpm.

It will be 2x better performance than single 5400rpm. That's still better than single 7200rpm is most cases.

But it would be much better to have 2x 7200rpm.

WD My Cloud 4TB

10 hours ago, Simon771 said:

10 hours ago, Evann said:

It will be faster, but since the laptop drive is slower, not as fast as 2 of the faster hdds. Id personally run them as 2 separate drives, but you can run them in raid just fine.

Hi @Evann!

You should be able to set the two drives in RAID, but keep in mind that you'll be limited by the slower HDD in terms of speed which is why it's recommended to create an array with two identical drives. Also, since this type of array doesn't offer any redundancy (meaning that if one drive fails all the stored data will be lost) I'd suggest to make a solid backup strategy or set them as two separate storage locations.

Hope this helps and best of luck!

Cheers! :)

If this post helped you, please like and choose it as a best answer.   :)
http://www.wdc.com/en/