What Upgrade Route Should I Go Through?

Will be upgrading within a few weeks, with a budget of around 350. I am a "gamer" and use the adobe suite very frequently. (light-medium video editing, and graphic design work using photoshop and illustrator)
I was leaning towards getting a Xeon E3-1231 V3 and a decent b85 motherboard. But I'm wondering now if its worth stretching my budget 50-70 bucks more and upgrading to skylake. (i5 6600k, decent motherboard and 16gb ram.) What should I do?, if skylake. I'd like to know what kind of motherboard you guys would recommend. (~$90?)
Thanks. :)

Vulcan (Main): Intel Xeon E3-1241 V3 | MSI GTX 1060 Armor OC | G. Skill Sniper 16GB + 4GB @1600  | Crucial BX100 120GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, 2TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB External Seagate Portable | EVGA 650 GQ | Cryorig H7 | NZXT Source 210 Elite

Carbon (Laptop): Lenovo ThinkPad x230 | Core i7 3520m | 8GB Memory (2x4GB)  | 180GB SSD, Sandisk Ultra 128GB SD Card

1 minute ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

With the money it saves you I would get the B85 + Xeon.

How much of a performance increase would I be getting with the 6600k?

Vulcan (Main): Intel Xeon E3-1241 V3 | MSI GTX 1060 Armor OC | G. Skill Sniper 16GB + 4GB @1600  | Crucial BX100 120GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, 2TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB External Seagate Portable | EVGA 650 GQ | Cryorig H7 | NZXT Source 210 Elite

Carbon (Laptop): Lenovo ThinkPad x230 | Core i7 3520m | 8GB Memory (2x4GB)  | 180GB SSD, Sandisk Ultra 128GB SD Card

2 minutes ago, J/C said:

How much of a performance increase would I be getting with the 6600k?

Probably a negligible one. Look at benchmarks of software and games you use to see if it's worth the fairly drastic price difference.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

10 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

Probably a negligible one. Look at benchmarks of software and games you use to see if it's worth the fairly drastic price difference.

How about things like ram, how much or a difference do you think there is when video editing or using photoshop. (would it be more cpu dependent?, if so then i'm guessing the xeon preforms slightly better)

2 minutes ago, J/C said:

How about things like ram, how much or a difference do you think there is when video editing or using photoshop. (would it be more cpu dependent?, if so then i'm guessing the xeon preforms slightly better)

RAM makes margin of error differences.

Photoshop is very CPU and CPU thread dependent as is Premiere and they both can utilise GPU horsepower, Premiere moreso.

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

1 minute ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

RAM makes margin of error differences.

Photoshop is very CPU and CPU thread dependent as is Premiere and they both can utilise GPU horsepower, Premiere moreso.

If price wasn't a problem (seems fairly close ~30 difference with ddr4 going down in price and the 6600k being only $220) would you still go with the b85 and xeon upgrade?

2 minutes ago, J/C said:

If price wasn't a problem (seems fairly close ~30 difference with ddr4 going down in price and the 6600k being only $220) would you still go with the b85 and xeon upgrade?

I would seeing as the workloads you want to do would prefer the Xeon and in games you'll probably not see a difference as the 6600k doesn't have drastically better single threaded performance.

7 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

I would seeing as the workloads you want to do would prefer the Xeon and in games you'll probably not see a difference as the 6600k doesn't have drastically better single threaded performance.

Alright thanks for the opinion. :)