Thermal paste on used cpu?

Noob question-- I purchased a used cpu from ebay (i5 2320), It did not come with thermal paste tube but I heard you dont need to add the paste since intel has some preaplied , is that true? If not can someone recommend a good, cheap, thermal paste ((and before applying should it be cleaned))? 

Thanks for reading!

Pre applied thermal paste is only can be used once.Used CPU and fan most likely have the thermal paste wiped.

Cooler Master E1/Noctua NT-H1 is cheap and good enough. To be honest, any good reviews thermal paste will work just fine.

To clean it, you can use alchohol. Or just use tissue or cloth to slowly clean it.

I don't think CPU's come with thermal paste preaplied, 

I use Arctic Silver.

The person who you bought it from would have probably cleaned off the thermal paste. Intel does put pre applied thermal paste, but its pre applied on the stock cpu cooler that comes with the cpu. Not sure if you wull be getting the stock cooler as well. Regardless of any of that, it's advisable that you clean the cpu and apply new thermal paste. 

MAIN RIG | AMD R7 1800x @ 4.0GHz [cooled by Corsair h110i] | Zotac 1070 founders | Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x8gb |
| ASUS crosshair IV hero | Samsung 960 evo m.2 | Seagate 1TB + WD blue 2TB| Corsair HX750i | Phanteks evlov atx TG |
LAPTOP | HP zbook Workstation | Intel i7-4710 HQ @ 2.5GHz | 8gb ram | NVIDIA Quadro k1100m | 250gb + 250gb Crucial SSDs |

13 minutes ago, dlink377 said:

Pre applied thermal paste is only can be used once.Used CPU and fan most likely have the thermal paste wiped.

Cooler Master E1/Noctua NT-H1 is cheap and good enough. To be honest, any good reviews thermal paste will work just fine.

To clean it, you can use alchohol. Or just use tissue or cloth to slowly clean it.

Ok I ordered the cooler master one- can i use just a tissue to clean off the resedue off old cpu and cooler?

1 minute ago, MattLY said:

Ok I ordered the cooler master one- can i use just a tissue to clean off the resedue off old cpu and cooler?

some alcohol would help,

1 minute ago, deWaardt said:

some alcohol would help,

Will acetone work?

2 minutes ago, MattLY said:

Will acetone work?

Yes but be VERY careful to not spill it on other parts of your PC, like the mobo.

Also avoid the plastics of the CPU as acetone can damage it.

Put a bit of acetone on a cloth and wipe the thermal paste off, should work.

12 minutes ago, MattLY said:

Will acetone work?

Yes, but don't do it. Incredibly easy to do serious damage. Grab some isopropyl alcohol at the store or pharmacy instead. There is almost no chance of doing any damage with it. 

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

The pre-applied  thermal paste would be on the cooler, not on the CPU itself. If the cooler you're going to use doesn't have the paste pre-applied (there'd be a grey patch on the bottom) you'll need to purchase some new paste. Just get a small tube of whatever paste you can find in some computer store or on-line.

Some pastes are a bit "better" than others, but for a non-overclocked CPU it doesn't really matter.

You also don't have to get all anal about cleaning the old paste off the CPU and cooler. Just a reasonably good job is enough - just make sure there are no actual "lumps" of old paste left.

Don't use Acetone (or acetone based nail-polish remover). The acetone can damage some materials, especially plastic.

A sieve may not hold water, but it will hold another sieve.

i5-6600, 16Gigs, ITX Corsair 250D, R9 390, 120Gig M.2 boot, 500Gig SATA SSD, no HDD

10 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

Yes, but don't do it. Incredibly easy to do serious damage. Grab some isopropyl alcohol at the store or pharmacy instead. There is almost no chance of doing any damage with it. 

8 minutes ago, Quaker said:

The pre-applied  thermal paste would be on the cooler, not on the CPU itself. If the cooler you're going to use doesn't have the paste pre-applied (there'd be a grey patch on the bottom) you'll need to purchase some new paste. Just get a small tube of whatever paste you can find in some computer store or on-line.

Some pastes are a bit "better" than others, but for a non-overclocked CPU it doesn't really matter.

You also don't have to get all anal about cleaning the old paste off the CPU and cooler. Just a reasonably good job is enough - just make sure there are no actual "lumps" of old paste left.

Don't use Acetone (or acetone based nail-polish remover). The acetone can damage some materials, especially plastic.

Okay Ill get my mom to buy it for me tbh

2 hours ago, MattLY said:

Okay Ill get my mom to buy it for me tbh

Just get 70+ percent alcohol. 90+ percent recommended.

Aceton will work, but like others said it's easy to damage something as it can bite through plastic.

I've personally used just water on a lint free cloth once lol.

Worked out fine as well, but I would not recommend.