Which one should I buy? Ultrawide vs. 144hz

UMISHO

So I'll be getting the RX480 as an upgrade from intel hd530. I am getting crazy about which monitor to buy. 

Whether the LG 29UM58 29″ UltraWide IPS LED Monitor or the ASUS 24 inch VG248QE 144Hz TN Monitor.

So basically I'm having a hard time to choose between an Ultrawide or 144hz Monitor.

I do video/photo editing but most of the time I play games and watch videos. 

Which one do you think I should get?

Just go with the ultrawide,since you will problably need more space for productivity work exept if you played CS:GO really competitively id go with the 144hz one.(ps i love ultrawide monitors) 

I would recommend the ultrawide. One RX 480 wont be enough to get 144 fps consistently in all games anyway (assuming you're playing at reasonably high settings), so getting a 144 FPS monitor doesn't make a ton of sense.

4 minutes ago, Alpha_Krk said:

Just go with the ultrawide,since you will problably need more space for productivity work exept if you played CS:GO really competitively id go with the 144hz one.(ps i love ultrawide monitors) 

I'm currently using a dell 5:3 19inch monitor so I just want to have the most worthy upgrade that I'll get. Is a 29inch Ultrawide enough? :)

2 minutes ago, Zyndo said:

I would recommend the ultrawide. One RX 480 wont be enough to get 144 fps consistently in all games anyway (assuming you're playing at reasonably high settings), so getting a 144 FPS monitor doesn't make a ton of sense.

I'll be sticking with the 75hz of the ultrawide then to increase the future compatability of the rx480. Thanks :)

I do photo editing and an IPS panel will go a long way, my panel might not be professionaly color-calibrated but its sure as hell better than working off a TN panel
and i also game on this monitor with no issues (FPS games)

(i use an LG IPS234)

Photography / Finance / Gaming

9 minutes ago, UMISHO said:

Is a 29inch Ultrawide enough? :)

ultrawide is great.  29" is good enough.  However, look at your table that you'll put the monitor on.  If the monitor ends up being like 2 feet from your face, get the 29".  Its wayyy big enough.  If your monitor will be about 3+feet away, then the bigger one will start making sense.  Too big, too close is bad.  

Average tables are about 24" width... so 29" monitor is plenty for that.  

Some bigger tables are about 30" width, so 34" Ultrawide would make sense for that.  

22 minutes ago, never_here said:

ultrawide is great.  29" is good enough.  However, look at your table that you'll put the monitor on.  If the monitor ends up being like 2 feet from your face, get the 29".  Its wayyy big enough.  If your monitor will be about 3+feet away, then the bigger one will start making sense.  Too big, too close is bad.  

Average tables are about 24" width... so 29" monitor is plenty for that.  

Some bigger tables are about 30" width, so 34" Ultrawide would make sense for that.  

I'm using a 150cm x 75cm linnmon table. Will the monitor look small when I sit or just right?

1 minute ago, UMISHO said:

I'm using a 150cm x 75cm linnmon table. Will the monitor look small when I sit or just right?

depends how far away from it you sit*

2 minutes ago, Alpha_Krk said:

depends how far away from it you sit*

I sit 2.5 feet away from the monitor I am currently using. I guess the 29inch is just right. 

1 minute ago, UMISHO said:

I sit 2.5 feet away from the monitor I am currently using. I guess the 29inch is just right. 

pretty much.  If anything, you can move it slightly closer.  I move my 28" a little closer too, just because.  Its perfectly usuable further away.  But i dont want to wear glasses when i use my pc, so .... =).  But i think a 29" is great for you.  Also, if you plan on getting a small secondary monitor, or use your current one too, there should still be room left on the side, when your monitor is planted in the middle.  and you can have like, accessories on the other side without the 2nd monitor.  Kinda what i do.  Since i also use my macbook on the side.

17 minutes ago, never_here said:

pretty much.  If anything, you can move it slightly closer.  I move my 28" a little closer too, just because.  Its perfectly usuable further away.  But i dont want to wear glasses when i use my pc, so .... =).  But i think a 29" is great for you.  Also, if you plan on getting a small secondary monitor, or use your current one too, there should still be room left on the side, when your monitor is planted in the middle.  and you can have like, accessories on the other side without the 2nd monitor.  Kinda what i do.  Since i also use my macbook on the side.

Yeah I plan to put my school laptop beside my monitor. Glad to know that I could fit accesories or a laptop perfectly. I appreciate the help man, thanks. :)