Do LEDs in fan lower if you lower the voltage

TheMidnightNarwhal

I'm looking at LED fans but I'm controlling them through my motherboard and they're 3 pin so it uses voltage to control them. Now I see some fans LEDs will lower depending on the voltage sent to them.

Now my questions, is do all LED fans act like this?

1 minute ago, TheMidnightNarwhal said:

My Bitfenix Spectre Pro LED fans get dimmer as I turn their speed down with voltage, so yes, probably.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

Yes all LED fans will get lower if you are lowering their speed with voltage as LEDs are dimmed depending o n how much power they receive. Hope this helps!

| CPUIntel i5-6500 3.2GHz | MotherboardMSI Z170 SLI Plus | RAM8GB 2800 G.SKILL Ripjaws | GPUMSI Nvidia GTX 950 2GB | Case: NZXT Source Black | Storage120GB ADATA SX930 SSD, 500GB Western Digital Blue | PSU: 800 watt 80 plus bronze |

4 minutes ago, TheMidnightNarwhal said:

I'm looking at LED fans but I'm controlling them through my motherboard and they're 3 pin so it uses voltage to control them. Now I see some fans LEDs will lower depending on the voltage sent to them.

Now my questions, is do all LED fans act like this?

I believe they would and it would make sense, cut the power to them they will be dimmer. Simple logic. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

if you're voltage controlling then yes

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

That depends largely on the specific type of LED they'd used. Some function in ranges, while others function only at specific voltages.

If I was a LED fan manufacturer, I probably wouldn't want my fans brightening and dimming very much based on variations in voltages, as that effects the aesthetic of the case. Whether or not this holds true though will depend on your particular fans.

Not all fans do this. It depends on the fan.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I've got 2 Blue LED 120mm Cougar brand case fans and the LEDs get dimmer depending on how low I adjust the speed using my NZXT Sentry 3 fan controller.  I believe because the fan controller works by lowering or raising the fan voltages in order to manipulate fan speeds.

As long as I don't lower the fans to the minimum speed percentage of 40% the dimming isn't too much.  I think leaving the fans at around 60-80% keeps the LEDs decently close to full brightness if that helps.

5 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Not all fans do this. It depends on the fan.

Do you know of certain brands of LED case fans that do not dim when using a fan controller?  I'm planning to get a NZXT Sentry 3 to use in my main desktop since the one in my secondary desktop is working so well but I'd prefer to be able to lower the fan speed to limit noise without affecting the appearance of the fan LEDs.

2 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Do you know of certain brands of LED case fans that do not dim when using a fan controller?  I'm planning to get a NZXT Sentry 3 to use in my main desktop since the one in my secondary desktop is working so well but I'd prefer to be able to lower the fan speed to limit noise without affecting the appearance of the fan LEDs.

Enermax's Cluster Advance is the only one that comes to mind. There aren't that many fan that do this since it's easier to power them together.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

9 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Enermax's Cluster Advance is the only one that comes to mind. There aren't that many fan that do this since it's easier to power them together.

You mean it's easier to power the fan itself along with the LEDs vs. powering each separately?

2 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

You mean it's easier to power the fan itself along with the LEDs vs. powering each separately?

Yeah, it's less to do.

1 hour ago, WoodenMarker said:

Any other ones that comes to your mind?