PC Fans went from Silent to High speed

Denis_Twin
Go to solution Solved by Denis_Twin,
58 minutes ago, asand1 said:

Of your not willing to try and learn, and take some initiative, then sell your PC and buy a Mac.

We need to check the softwareside fo things, and I solved it already so no point.

The main thing is that speedfan messed things up for my fan controller even after I uninstalled it, the 2-3rd time I did, it went back to normal. 

1 minute ago, TwinDenis said:

Ok then I do not know...

I recommend one of two things:

1) Read up on how to set up speedfan and while it's not intuitive it will give you full control of your fan speeds while also monitoring temperatures. If you do this, google "how to run speedfan on startup" for a process that will tell windows to run it every time you boot the computer.

2) Contact Dell, tell them since the power outage the fans have been much louder and that no BIOS configuration seems to change that. You may run into an IT person on the other side of the phone that doesn't know what you're talking about, please be very polite to them and ask around for different people until someone understand what your issue is.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

1 hour ago, Energycore said:

I recommend one of two things:

1) Read up on how to set up speedfan and while it's not intuitive it will give you full control of your fan speeds while also monitoring temperatures. If you do this, google "how to run speedfan on startup" for a process that will tell windows to run it every time you boot the computer.

2) Contact Dell, tell them since the power outage the fans have been much louder and that no BIOS configuration seems to change that. You may run into an IT person on the other side of the phone that doesn't know what you're talking about, please be very polite to them and ask around for different people until someone understand what your issue is.

I say it because i tried to set it up before without sucess

1 minute ago, TwinDenis said:

I say it because i tried to set it up before without sucess

I know what you mean, it took me multiple tries to get it right. You have to go to the advanced tab and find the chip that controls your fans (it's going to have PWM mode settings in it) and make sure every PWM mode is changed to software controlled, that'll allow speedfan to control the fans.

Then you gotta go to the speeds tab and check the "Automatically variated" box on each speed. Once you've done both things you'll be able to punch numbers into the main window and they should variate your fan speeds. Keep a constant eye on CPU temps because your CPU seems to be running really hot.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

You need to identify the individual fans by just unplugging them one at a time while watching the "Fans" tab. The one that changes to 0RPM is the one you have unplugged. In the same tab you will then rename them CPU, Intake, Exhaust, Radiator, ETC, by clicking twice on each fan name (not double clicking). Then go to fan control and select the sensor you want to control each fan. THIS IS IMPORTANT AND LIKELY YOUR ISSUE....In the "Temperatures" tab, click once on each sensor you have chosen to control your fans and at the bottom raise the "Warning" to a level above your highest likely temp. My case fans are controlled by "my Core 1" and "GPU" sensors, while my CPU fan is controlled by "Core 1" alone. My "warnings" are set to GPU=85C* and Core 1=80C*.

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430

I still cant figure it out and dont want to break anything

Of your not willing to try and learn, and take some initiative, then sell your PC and buy a Mac.

Or take it onto a shop and pay way too much. Alternatively, you can uninstall speed fan and turn the auto feature back on in BIOS.

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430

58 minutes ago, asand1 said:

We need to check the softwareside fo things, and I solved it already so no point.

The main thing is that speedfan messed things up for my fan controller even after I uninstalled it, the 2-3rd time I did, it went back to normal. 

1 hour ago, asand1 said:

Or take it onto a shop and pay way too much. Alternatively, you can uninstall speed fan and turn the auto feature back on in BIOS.

Returning the auto feature did not work, nothing I logically could think of worked except uninstalling again and again the speedfan app.

So it's working right in stock form now? Good.

Black Knight-

Daughter's Rig;

1 hour ago, asand1 said:

So it's working right in stock form now? Good.

Yeah, the mysterious part is how it didnt remove the settings since it also asked me to remove them in uninstallation and I answered yes.

Anyway, something to keep in mind for the future.