where is the best place to get a windows key,

GreezyJeezy
12 hours ago, NumLock21 said:

Client system board died have to change it. But it was too old, so he went with a full upgrade, cpu, mb, ram. Other parts stayed the same. Windows says to avtivate within 3 days. Click activate and it went through.

oh so thats why i could do it, thanks for the info and im guessing this is an OEM key i cant use anymore in that case 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

19 hours ago, GreezyJeezy said:

where is the cheapest place to get a retail key for i windows 10, one that i can reuse if i upgrade my motherboard 

I got mine on Ebay for about $40, but that is kind of sketchy.

33 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

oh so thats why i could do it, thanks for the info and im guessing this is an OEM key i cant use anymore in that case 

OEM keys are mostly placed on the case and when you buy a OEM windows, it comes in a plain package. Retail ones on the other hand comes in a fancier box design contains both 32bit and 64bit, some with artwork (win8) and the product key, comes in a business size card, not a sticker. The older retail ones, it's sticker are always yellow or orange and they're placed sticked on the inside of the package. My Office 2007 retail has a orange sticker in it.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

1 minute ago, NumLock21 said:

OEM keys are mostly placed on the case and when you buy a OEM windows, it comes in a plain package. Retail ones on the other hand comes in a fancier box design contains both 32bit and 64bit, some with artwork (win8) and the product key, comes in a business size card, not a sticker. The older retail ones, it's sticker are always yellow or orange and they're placed sticked on the inside of the package. My Office 2007 retail has a orange sticker in it.

yeah when i bought the OEM key he just sent me a picture of one of those stickers, but it worked 

3 hours ago, GreezyJeezy said:

yeah when i bought the OEM key he just sent me a picture of one of those stickers, but it worked 

most likely a VL key

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

3 hours ago, NumLock21 said:

well i have a plain box and no sticker on the case and some manuals or something i think for windows 7

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016