Install an air cpu cooler onto motherboard inside or outside of case?

I have been wondering, since I will be building my first pc in the morning, whether I should install the cpu cooler inside the case onto the motherboard or outside the case. I have decided to test my build tomorrow outside the case, so I assume I need the cpu cooler installed in the first place, but are there any cons to installing it outside the case? To be specific, I will be using a cryorig h5 ultimate cooler on an asus z170-a motherboard in a fractal design define s. Thank you in advance.

For test purposes just use the stock heatsink.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

1 minute ago, MegaDave91 said:

For test purposes just use the stock heatsink.

It is an i7 6700k, it doesn't come with a stock heatsink.

If the cooler has a backplate to put on, it's a big pain to install with the mobo in the case IMO

.. But I have huge jolly green giant hands

I'm assuming that that CPU cooler needs a backplate, so therefore I'd recommend you install it before installing your motherboard into your case, makes life easier.

Sergeant, United States Marine Corps

Network Administrator, Comptia A+, Security+, Cisco Certified Networking Associate

From a G3258 to dual Xeon E5-2670's

2 minutes ago, greaves1111 said:

If the cooler has a backplate to put on, it's a big pain to install with the mobo in the case IMO

.. But I have huge jolly green giant hands

Same, I've got the Linus body (5'5, 150 pounds) but the Luke hands.

Sergeant, United States Marine Corps

Network Administrator, Comptia A+, Security+, Cisco Certified Networking Associate

From a G3258 to dual Xeon E5-2670's

IF you have one of those case where you have both sides open, like Fractal Design define S, you can install an air cooler and backplate then, you can try you luck an wiggle it on but you might risk hitting on one of those capacitors on mobo or something.

By the time you try to wiggle the air cooler in,

its better to just take those 8 screws out and the cables, put that shit on and get on with it...

I need those 40 PCI-e express lanes.

Plus since you have a 6700k, i am assuming its for gaming or workstation level build, so my best gess its gonna be a big cooler, best option again, take that shit out, install and assembly.

I need those 40 PCI-e express lanes.

I find it easier with my hyper 212 evo to install the backplate outside of the case and installing the cooler after you mounted the motherboard, ram, and fans into the case, because I have found some cases to make it hard to install the fans after you install a big CPU cooler I kinda get lucky with my small hands (I've got the Linus size with the Linus hands) so it's easier for me to do things like sqeeze my fingers in to screw in a screw but it's definately easier to mount the backplate first outside the case then putting in the cooler once you putt the motherboard in the case and know you won't have any trouble installing the case fans and RAM in

1 hour ago, APatientGuy said:

I have been wondering, since I will be building my first pc in the morning, whether I should install the cpu cooler inside the case onto the motherboard or outside the case. I have decided to test my build tomorrow outside the case, so I assume I need the cpu cooler installed in the first place, but are there any cons to installing it outside the case? To be specific, I will be using a cryorig h5 ultimate cooler on an asus z170-a motherboard in a fractal design define s. Thank you in advance.

It's almost always going to be easier to install the CPU, apply thermal compound, then install cooler and RAM with the motherboard outside of the case.  

I strongly suggest that you NOT try to plug your MB in to your PSU and try to turn it on outside the case if that's what you mean by test your build.  I'm not positive but some common sense gives me the feeling that you'll put yourself at an increased risk of shorting something out and ruining expensive parts.  Your safest option is to set the 6700K in the socket on the MB, secure it in place, apply thermal compound (YouTube videos or someone here can tell you how much to use), follow the CPU cooler's directions to install it, and install the RAM sticks in the correct slots on the MB.  Then install the MB in your case and proceed with your build.

If you don't already have these I suggest you make sure you have the following before starting your build: #2 philps screwdriver, 3/16 inch nut driver, anti-static wrist strap, cable ties and compact scissors/multitool cutter, and Arctic silver 5 if you don't already have thermal compound. (I'm guessing the H5 included some but I personally would think the Arctic silver 5 is better if you'd choose to use it.)

A headlamp may also be useful for providing additional light inside your case while working on it but that's more optional unless you find you definitely need it.

It usually depends on the case, motherboard, and cooler. 

Sometimes, the motherboard is too difficult to install afterwards with a large cooler on it and sometimes, it's harder to install the cooler with the motherboard in the case.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.