Define Nano S + 1070 cooling

MrNicholas1029

So I am planning on getting a Define Nano S case and a GTX 1070. Either I will buy the Asus Strix version, or MSI Gaming X version. Theoretically the Asus card should handle cooling better due to the larger heatsink and 3 fans, but I have heard that Asus do not cool the VRAM properly and high overclocks cannot be achieved on Asus cards.

As you may have already known, the Nano S has very tight spacing between the PSU and GPU, and may lead to the GPU choking for air. If I orientate the PSU so that it sucks air from the bottom, the first GPU fan will be choking for air. If the PSU is put the other way, it leaves the GPU with less restriction, and may help the GPU with exhausting the hot air out of the case when in 0 RPM fan mode. However if the system is at load, the PSU and GPU will be both competing for air in the same space. Luckily my PSU is an EVGA 650 P2 Platinum rated power supply, meaning it generates significantly less heat than other components, and it has an eco mode which fan speed can be adjusted according to system load. Would it be better to disable this function because I intend to use it as an extra exhaust fan? I would leave the eco mode on if the PSU fan is facing down.

EDIT: I will be putting dual 140 in front and 120 at the back as exhaust, none at top and maybe a 120 on bottom.

Consider using that maybe 120mm to direct airflow in under the card or around the side of the psu where, in theory at least the gpu cooler can pull from. Or if you aren't set on that case consider something oriented a little different or slightly bigger to get a bigger gap to get some air in

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W