Windows start menue wont show, and windows photo viewer is missing.

Ryan Kazzy

So recently noticed when I try to press the windows icon it wont show the start menu, but I can still right click it and it shows the secondary list, also on the same day my Photo viewer app is gone aswell! when I try to open a picture on my pc it just says "class not registered" this is really annoying and I dont know how this could have happened, anyone know a way to fix these issues?

1. Restart your computer if you haven't done so already.

2. Go into the command prompt with elevated privileges and type in /sfc scannow. This will look for corrupted DLL files and fix them, which might just fix your problem.

3. If you have a restore point conveniently available, restore to then and see if it fixes your problem.

Worst case scenario, refresh or reinstall Windows.

5 minutes ago, Ryan Kazzy said:

So recently noticed when I try to press the windows icon it wont show the start menu, but I can still right click it and it shows the secondary list, also on the same day my Photo viewer app is gone aswell! when I try to open a picture on my pc it just says "class not registered" this is really annoying and I dont know how this could have happened, anyone know a way to fix these issues?

Either a virus or corrupted windows files, possibly a failing HDD.

Open task manager and kill the 'explorer.exe' process, then click File -> Run, type 'explorer.exe' and click OK.

Does your start button work now?

Almost as cool as my temps  

I assume you have Windows 10? What is your GPU?

If so, make sure that you have the latest graphics card drivers. The start menu is GPU rendered now, and it is probably a bug in the drivers currently installed (or Windows updated them to), which has a bug which makes the start menu not show up.

windows 10, gtx 970 ftw from EVGA, also Benergy i stop the process but then i cant find it again since everything goeas away on the task bar

*edit i did what you said benergy and it still doesnt show up, might have to wipe my pc again :(