Calling all Aussies! Don't stand for SLOW internet!!

You are right, it is about the fuiture more than now. but most people, Like me, are thinking about now and how it effects the future. We have a very precarious economy at the moment and if we move to an NBN that causes the price to rise, not just for the consumer but for buisness as well, then that has a negative impact on GDP.

As I said in earlier posts there is a lot more to it.  I would rather they slowed down and did it right the first time. And that means proper contracts, not rushed ones that screw over the subs, that means proper feasability studies that ensure we are not spending too much in areas that are not beneficial anyway. The program neeeds to account for everything. Unfortunately the current inception of the NBN assumed that telstra would deal with all the asbestos in the pits. Which if a proper feasability study was done would have shown this is not possible without adding to the overall cost. So the end result of rushing the current NBN was that sub contractors were sent into asbestos pits and no-one is going to look after them. It's bloody James Hardy all over again.  What we have now is a legal liability battle that could cost billions more in payouts and legal fees all because someone wanted the NBN right now and not in 5 years.

These are just some of my concerns, as a result I believe it will be people like me that ensure we actually have a future, not just one we can compete in. 

Cheers

well why do it at all then? coz theres always going to be someone saying its to much or we dont need it etc our economy is not bad compared to alot of countries and isnt like every country in debt? why stop something that has already been started already being dont its stupid fftn will cost more and thats all that matters u say u have to keep cost down and stuff yet liberal is putting cost up just not right now but 5 - 10 years later u will see when they have to remove all that ancient copper and lay down fibre anyway. 

well why do it at all then?

Because progress demands that we move forward. 

coz theres always going to be someone saying its to much or we dont need it etc our economy is not bad compared to alot of countries and isnt like every country in debt?

There are always nay sayers and they usually get ignored.  As for the debt situation, you might be shocked to find out that we are currently in $272 Billion worth of debt. 

http://www.australiandebtclock.com.au/

The only thing keeping Australia afloat is the mining industry and even that is slowing. It has taken some very big hits from the drop in commodity prices.  In Victoria Ford have pulled the plug on local manufacturing, holden are threatening to do the same, toyota are showing signs they can't afford to keep manufacturing here even though they want to, and we have already lost a smeltering plant from geelong Plus the target closures.   The economy in Aus. is very precarious right now and should not be taken lightly.  Anyone who was alive in the eighties knows what happens when governments don't do enough to mitigate recessions.  It was ugly.

why stop something that has already been started already being dont its stupid fftn will cost more and thats all that matters u say u have to keep cost down and stuff yet liberal is putting cost up just not right now but 5 - 10 years later u will see when they have to remove all that ancient copper and lay down fibre anyway. 

No one is stopping anything, who told you the FTTN will cost more?  there has been no official costings, most of the pretty graphs and flashy websites you see are using assumed information and dodgy statistics to convince you.  At the end of the day the coalitions plan is to roll out new fibre to the node in areas with the worst connection speeds first. That means you will get your 25 -100 NBN sooner under the coalition (and if they are right then cheapoer too) than I will.  Under the current arrangment we don't know when it will happen because the sub contractors have been screwed  so bad some are loosing their homes over it and others are ripping up the pits because they have not been payed.  

Here is a good read, and has some real information about the state of the NBN company and mess it is in.

http://www.afr.com/p/national/what_went_wrong_with_the_nbn_OOFd2s5eB4KLuceU4Cp9QO

It's not that anyone doesn't want the NBN, most of us do, but the problem is it has been so poorly implemented in a time of economic uncertainty that the whole thing threatens to fall down even if the liberals don't touch it. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.