'Spam King' sentenced to two years in prison

jos

facebook-inc-spam-king-could-face-three-

A US man who sent more than 27 million spam emails to Facebook users has been sentenced to two and a half years in prison.

Sanford Wallace, 47, is nicknamed the "Spam King" and last year pleaded guilty to federal charges including fraud and criminal contempt in connection with using electronic mail.

Wallace, who is from Las Vegas, also faces a fine of $310,000 (£218,500).

The messages were sent to Facebook users in 2008 and 2009.

An FBI investigation resulted in Wallace's prosecution after he turned himself in, in 2011.

"Wallace illegally obtained, stored, and exploited Facebook user account information and earned money by redirecting users to other websites," a statement from the US Attorney's Office said.

Wallace tricked users into visiting websites after gaining access to people's Facebook accounts and then using those accounts to send spam messages to friends.

He earned money by sending users to these destinations and stored email addresses and passwords in order to continue sending spam.

In the late 1990s, his company, Cyber Promotions, aka Cyberpromo, was widely blacklisted as a source of unsolicited email. Wallace's high-profile pro-spam stance and unrepentant persistence earned him the derisive nickname 'Spamford'.

Prior to his email spam ventures, Wallace had gained notoriety in other questionable marketing circles, as a heavy utilizer of junk fax marketing, a practice outlawed in the United States since 1991.

In 1995, Wallace formed Cyber Promotions, entering the spam market. Thanks to a self-marketing campaign, Cyberpromo rapidly became the most successful seller of email marketing—as well as the number one source of unsolicited email. After Cyberpromo failed to become a legitimate business, Wallace returned to junk faxing in late 1997.

Wallace's company brought a number of spam-blocking evasion tactics to the fore of the spam battle. False return addresses, relaying, and multihoming were among the questionable practices used by Cyberpromo to ensure the penetration of their advertising.

Spam is bad because it shifts the cost of advertising to the recipients. It is similar to junk unsolicited faxes. It can also be compared to an unwanted collect call to your telephone.

Spam is against the acceptable use policy/terms of service of every reputable ISP, is illegal in several US states, and can result in large portions of the Internet "shunning" your company at the network level e.g.: blocking packets or not accepting your e-mail.

Source: Link

Why does one do this it makes no sense.

If I use words like probably or most likely, it is because I dislike certainty. These words can probably be omitted and the sentence read as a certainty.

When I read the title shown as "'Spam King' sentenced to t..." I assumed the rest was "the electric chair" for some reason :P

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

45 minutes ago, noc said:

Good! May this be an example for the rest of the spamming trash out there!

May he rest in pieces ... oh wait, no, it's just a normal prison sentence xD 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

11 hours ago, NTF5252 said:

The thing ppl ask most trolls. Just have their own motives.

- Fresher than a fruit salad.

13 hours ago, NTF5252 said:

Money.

"LTT's official.."STOP. I promise you aren't LTT's official bagel eater or whatever. Trust me. 

2 minutes ago, Deletist_Jerk said:
  Reveal hidden contents

SpamKing2013.jpg

Well that was a confusing title!

Ew, that stuff should be locked away too :P