Modi 2 Uber UPDATED

SSL

Yaaay.

Apparently someone on SBAF thought their new Modi 2U sounded extra good compared to an older Modi 2. They cracked it open and found that the old AKM 4396 has been replaced with the AKM 4490.

I still don't recommend standalone DACs for most people. But if you want one, this is a good reason to go for the Modi 2 Uber. Specifically, the Uber edition now features the AKM 4490 (the Modi non-Uber has NOT been upgraded yet), and it also features a self-powered USB port which should improve compatibility with crappy motherboard ports.

Note that as the AKM 4396 is now at end of life, the regular Modi will probably see an upgrade before long as well, bringing the new DAC chip to the $100 price point.

http://schiit.com/products/modi-2

nice upgrade

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

interesting they didnt announce that they were doing an upgrade 

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/