GTX 1070 vs. R9 Fury (vs. RX 480)

TheSniperFox

Hey guys,

last Sunday died my GTX 980 Ti and I had take it out of my loop and went for RMA. But It can not be replaced, since it is not more available in Germany (Europe). So I am looking for and alternative now. To go on equal perfomance level a ASUS Strix GTX 1070 for 529€ shall be fine.

But on the other hand I am looking into the red corner after years now. The Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro dropped significant in price the last weeks and I could get one for 375€. But of course it is around 10-20% slower in 1440p. Also I am not sure about the new crimson drivers, how they perform and so on.

Or is it worth to wait for RX 480, which should perform again 10% slower than a R9 Fury, but has only a pricepoint of around 250-300€.

Anyway I got a 1440p free sync monitor, which was my last years christmas gift. But it is not a must have for me to use free sync. So Nvidia cards will be fine, since I can push high framerates.

What do you guys think and suggest, what would be the best solution?

Thanks a lot.

Clearly if you can afford more performance, you should get more performance.

Wait for benchies.

I don't understand. You are RMAing the 980 Ti and they will give you a replacement which is more than likely the 1080 since they cost the same when both new.

I sent in a GTX 770 and got back the 970 at no cost other than shipping it to them.

Why would you have to pay for anything?  You already bought the 980 Ti and it should not be dead "already"...!!!  That card is not even old yet.

12 minutes ago, alphaproject said:

I don't understand. You are RMAing the 980 Ti and they will give you a replacement which is more than likely the 1080 since they cost the same when both new.

I sent in a GTX 770 and got back the 970 at no cost other than shipping it to them.

Why would you have to pay for anything?  You already bought the 980 Ti and it should not be dead "already"...!!!  That card is not even old yet

After 6 months of using the card (I was using it for 8 months) you only get a credit note for the current price of the card back, which is around 700€. Of course I could almost buy a GTX 1080 for that, but I wanted to have a fair performance to price comparison for the new card. And a GTX 1080 is out of the line, since it sits at the top end from 700 to 800 € and is outperforming anything.

• 2 weeks later...

So after some more research and first reviews for the GTX 1070 are out, benchmarks for the RX 480 are getting proofed by different sources and I think the RX 480 can not match the performance of the R9 Fury and GTX 1070 anyway. So the decision should be made between the R9 Fury or the GTX 1070. I have both of them at my hands and do not know with which one I should go with, when I am going to build my rig next week. Also it is even harder, because I own a free sync monitor. But unfortunately the R9 Fury is lacking 5-20% of performance against the GTX 1070. Or may I throw FreeSync against the performance loss?

Because, when I go with the 1070, I will sell my BenQ XL 2730Z and buy a Dell S2716DG. 

But thinking into future is also part of my decision...no one knows how Vega is going to perform, that I could stick with my current monitor. Will it be much faster than the next Nvidia GPUs (honestly I do not think so). I hate being influenced by so many means and I also hate the fact that we always must decide between G-Sync and Free-Sync. You always need another monitor for AMD or Nvidia. 

So guys after complaining that much and giving my confusion to you...how would you decide and why?

Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro OC

or

Palit GTX 1070 Super Jetstream

Thanks a lot.

17 minutes ago, TheSniperFox said:

So after some more research and first reviews for the GTX 1070 are out, benchmarks for the RX 480 are getting proofed by different sources and I think the RX 480 can not match the performance of the R9 Fury and GTX 1070 anyway. So the decision should be made between the R9 Fury or the GTX 1070. I have both of them at my hands and do not know with which one I should go with, when I am going to build my rig next week. Also it is even harder, because I own a free sync monitor. But unfortunately the R9 Fury is lacking 5-20% of performance against the GTX 1070. Or may I throw FreeSync against the performance loss?

Because, when I go with the 1070, I will sell my BenQ XL 2730Z and buy a Dell S2716DG. 

But thinking into future is also part of my decision...no one knows how Vega is going to perform, that I could stick with my current monitor. Will it be much faster than the next Nvidia GPUs (honestly I do not think so). I hate being influenced by so many means and I also hate the fact that we always must decide between G-Sync and Free-Sync. You always need another monitor for AMD or Nvidia. 

So guys after complaining that much and giving my confusion to you...how would you decide and why?

Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro OC

or

Palit GTX 1070 Super Jetstream

Thanks a lot.

1070 over r9 fury any day.  4gb VRAM is just not going to be enough in upcoming AAA titles.  Also in benchmarks its been shown that most of the time a 1070 is actually a bit more powerful than a 980ti.

• 1 month later...

I just purchased  Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro OC and it rocks at 1080p. Freesync is fantastic too. Card is unbelievably quiet and runs cool. 

I cannot agree with @Camisto about 4GB memory issue. Games are made for paying customers and not the other way around.  ~99% Users will have only 3GB of memory or less and this will stay true for years to come. Unless your plan is to do 4K then 4GB is plenty.

I cannot comment on Crimson drivers as I have no idea what people are complaining about. I personally never had any issues with AMD driver.

On 6/15/2016 at 4:42 AM, TheSniperFox said:

Hey guys,

last Sunday died my GTX 980 Ti and I had take it out of my loop and went for RMA. But It can not be replaced, since it is not more available in Germany (Europe). So I am looking for and alternative now. To go on equal perfomance level a ASUS Strix GTX 1070 for 529€ shall be fine.

But on the other hand I am looking into the red corner after years now. The Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro dropped significant in price the last weeks and I could get one for 375€. But of course it is around 10-20% slower in 1440p. Also I am not sure about the new crimson drivers, how they perform and so on.

Or is it worth to wait for RX 480, which should perform again 10% slower than a R9 Fury, but has only a pricepoint of around 250-300€.

Anyway I got a 1440p free sync monitor, which was my last years christmas gift. But it is not a must have for me to use free sync. So Nvidia cards will be fine, since I can push high framerates.

What do you guys think and suggest, what would be the best solution?

Thanks a lot.

Is there any chance that you could wait for Vega? I wouldn't buy a 4gb card nowadays specially if i am gaming on a 1440p display, buy something with extra room for upcoming games. 1070 is the stronger card but then some features of your display will go to waste.

I would wait a bit because there are rumors for a RX490.

If you don't have the patience go with a 1070 because it's newer architecture.