Certain people cannot connect to my servers.

Darkerglobe

I run many servers from my network simultaneously, such as TF2, Teamspeak and a couple of other games. The servers run on Windows.  Occasionally, a single person will not be able to connect to the servers whereas can.  Once the PC is rebooted, the person is then able to connect. I have a static IP and all other people experience a flawless connection. This has happened to multiple people in the past, not just one specific person.

Does anybody know why this happens / how to fix it?

Router: Netgear WNDR3700v4

12 minutes ago, Darkerglobe said:

-snip-

well.. it is true tho, theres a multitude of reasons why you shouldnt, this being one of them.

i *actually* have issues setting up private game sessions between my friends because mysteriously some cant be pinged by others, while some can only ping out to others, etc, etc.

truth is your home connection is not built to be used for servers, and based on congestion in different parts of the international networks it is pretty much luck of the draw if things will be good that day or not.

21 minutes ago, Darkerglobe said:

I run many servers from my network simultaneously, such as TF2, Teamspeak and a couple of other games. The servers run on Windows.  Occasionally, a single person will not be able to connect to the servers whereas can.  Once the PC is rebooted, the person is then able to connect. I have a static IP and all other people experience a flawless connection. This has happened to multiple people in the past, not just one specific person.

Does anybody know why this happens / how to fix it?

Router: Netgear WNDR3700v4

who is your ISP

Hello

Try port forwarding the router to that IP with the ports you need like 80, 445 and so on so you have a good NAT. If windows firewall is on add also the rules on that. It can be other many things like antivirus or other services that cant provide connectivity or also your ISP has a bad SNR. 

Bye :)

Just making sure - when you say you have a static IP, do you mean a static public IP, or just static IPs for your server(s) on your LAN?

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

On 14/06/2016 at 6:19 PM, TAHIRMIA said:

who is your ISP

Zen Internet (UK)

22 hours ago, brwainer said:

Just making sure - when you say you have a static IP, do you mean a static public IP, or just static IPs for your server(s) on your LAN?

Both

On 14/06/2016 at 7:50 PM, Mountine said:

Try port forwarding the router to that IP with the ports you need like 80, 445 and so on so you have a good NAT. If windows firewall is on add also the rules on that. It can be other many things like antivirus or other services that cant provide connectivity or also your ISP has a bad SNR. 

Bye :)

I never thought to check the firewall, I will do some testing next time I get the chance. Thanks :D

On 14/06/2016 at 6:14 PM, manikyath said:

well.. it is true tho, theres a multitude of reasons why you shouldnt, this being one of them.

i *actually* have issues setting up private game sessions between my friends because mysteriously some cant be pinged by others, while some can only ping out to others, etc, etc.

truth is your home connection is not built to be used for servers, and based on congestion in different parts of the international networks it is pretty much luck of the draw if things will be good that day or not.

Fair points, however I do like the convenience and configurability of hosting from home. I have quite a reliable connection, so I haven't really experienced any problems apart from the one this thread is about :P