Hyper 212 Evo vs Cryorig H7... $9 difference, which one?

LaboonTheWhale

Hey all

So I'm building a PC to use for about 2-3 months and then I'm going sell off the cooler. 

I'm going to be in a pretty small room so I'm debating if I want a good cooler like the H7 but more expensive or cheap out and get a hyper 212 evo. 

this will be in a bitfenix prodigy cooling a 4790k 

I have the Cryorig H7 in 3 machines at the moment and it works great. The Hyper 212 Evo is great as well. It's honestly all what you prefer, if you want to save some money go for the 212!

1 minute ago, ThyFeared said:

I have the Cryorig H7 in 3 machines at the moment and it works great. The Hyper 212 Evo is great as well. It's honestly all what you prefer, if you want to save some money go for the 212!

Do you know what the thermal performance difference between the two would be? I would have Scythe Gentle typhoons or NF-F12's on these coolers. 

H7-

Looks better

Performs better

Better mounting hardware

Higher quality materials/build quality

Quieter

100% RAM compatibility

Worth the $9 imo.

"The of and to a in is I that it for you was with on as have but be they"

2 minutes ago, Ostwind said:

H7-

Looks better

Performs better

Better mounting hardware

Higher quality materials/build quality

Quieter

100% RAM compatibility

Worth the $9 imo.

gotcha. gonna pull the trigger on the H7. its only $9

They perform similarly. If you're going with the H7, it wouldn't be for the cooling performance. 

Also, the cooler doesn't affect how much heat the system dumps into your room.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I just purchased a 212 evo and it performs amazingly. Under full load it keeps my 8350 (an absolute oven of a chip) at no more than 40c. I mounted it to my mobo still in the case with minimal effort. Its also completely silent with the coil whine of a nearby pc being far louder than its stock fan.

The H7 may be better though, but I can say that the Evo is a great choice if you do choose it

CPU: I5 4590 Motherboard: ASROCK H97 Pro4 Ram: XPG 16gb v2.0 4x4 kit  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 PSU: EVGA 550w Supernova G2 Storage: 128 gb Sandisk SSD + 525gb Mx300 SSD Cooling: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock LP Case: Zalman T2 Sound: Logitech Z506 5.1 Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma Keyboard: DBPower LED

I'm also running the H7 due to the confined headroom of my OEM case. I removed the black plastic cap from the cooler simply for aesthetics, it was very easy with fine tipped needle nosed pliers between the fins. I dont like that the backplate is plastic and allows the MOBO to flex a bit. I don't know if the 212 has a metal backplate, if it does I would go with the 212.

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430

4 minutes ago, asand1 said:

I'm also running the H7 due to the confined headroom of my OEM case. I removed the black plastic cap from the cooler simply for aesthetics, it was very easy with fine tipped needle nosed pliers between the fins. I dont like that the backplate is plastic and allows the MOBO to flex a bit. I don't know if the 212 has a metal backplate, if it does I would go with the 212.

Yes the evo does have a metal backplate

CPU: I5 4590 Motherboard: ASROCK H97 Pro4 Ram: XPG 16gb v2.0 4x4 kit  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 PSU: EVGA 550w Supernova G2 Storage: 128 gb Sandisk SSD + 525gb Mx300 SSD Cooling: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock LP Case: Zalman T2 Sound: Logitech Z506 5.1 Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma Keyboard: DBPower LED

2 minutes ago, RaspberryPiFan said:

Go with the H7. The 212 has a sleeve bearing fan on it.

I wouldnt really suggest one cooler over another for just the included fan

1 minute ago, Moress said:

I wouldnt really suggest one cooler over another for just the included fan

Well than that would kinda ruin the majority of air coolers as the difference in temps is usually because of the fan.

5 minutes ago, RaspberryPiFan said:

Well than that would kinda ruin the majority of air coolers as the difference in temps is usually because of the fan.

You can get a good pressure fan for $10 and should do so for either cooler. What you cant change is the performance of the fins and the compatibility with ram, ect.

From what ive heard the H7 is slightly better than the Evo, within 1-2C at load. But that the H7 has a poorer quality to its mounting.

Either one sounds fine though

2 minutes ago, Moress said:

You can get a good pressure fan for $10 and should do so for either cooler. What you cant change is the performance pf the fins and the compatibility wit ram, ect.

From what ive heard the H7 is slightly better than the Evo, within 1-2C at load. But that the H7 has a poorer quality to its mounting.

CRYORIG has one of the best mounting mechs. Have you used one?

No but there are complaints above about its plastic backplate. The Hypers mounting is all metal, and easy enough that it took me all of 20 minutes to install it inside of a case by myself.

1 minute ago, Moress said:

the H7 has a poorer quality to its mounting.

The Mounting on the H7 is simplistic. long screws form the backside with plastic spacers that get secured by knurls on the screws. crank it down until the fingers touch the spacers. I like that the H7 is offset to the side and sits low on the CPU. It easily clears high profile RAM and fits in a narrow case. 

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430

2 minutes ago, Moress said:

No but there are complaints above about its plastic backplate. The Hypers mounting is all metal, and easy enough that it took me all of 20 minutes to install it inside of a case by myself.

Aside from the backplate It's not bad. My case had an opening allowing access the backside of the mobo. Installation was like 5 minutes for me.

Black Knight-

Daughter's Rig;

1 minute ago, asand1 said:

Aside from the backplate It's not bad. My case had an opening allowing access the backside of the mobo. Installation was like 5 minutes for me.

Including a plastic backplate just seems worrisome for me, especially since even cheaper coolers have metal.

Again Im sure the H7 is great, im just a worry wart

If the 212 Evo is cheaper I would place the 212 over the H7, But to say the H7 is bad would be inaccurate. Like I already stated, space confines would be the reason to choose the H7. a 212 Evo would not fit my needs.

Black Knight-

Daughter's Rig;

8 hours ago, Moress said:

Including a plastic backplate just seems worrisome for me, especially since even cheaper coolers have metal.

Again Im sure the H7 is great, im just a worry wart

212 mounting is a pain in the ass 

Silverstone FT-05: 8 Broadwell Xeon (6900k soon), Asus X99 A, Asus GTX 1070, 1tb Samsung 850 pro, NH-D15

Resist!

Having used both in the same case on an identical setup, my belief is that the H7 is easier to mount, has a better, quieter fan and consistently outperforms the EVO by 2-3C. Bottom line, there's virtually no way I'd put a 212 in my rig at this point. It's a perfectly good cooler, but it's been passed in terms of price to performance by the H7 and Deepcool Gammaxx 400, and if you catch the beQuiet Pure Rock on sale, that also outperforms it and is the quietest of the bunch.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

10 hours ago, RaspberryPiFan said:

Fans determine the acoustics of the cooler but the cooling is mainly determined by the heatsink design.

1 hour ago, aisle9 said:

Having used both in the same case on an identical setup, my belief is that the H7 is easier to mount, has a better, quieter fan and consistently outperforms the EVO by 2-3C. Bottom line, there's virtually no way I'd put a 212 in my rig at this point. It's a perfectly good cooler, but it's been passed in terms of price to performance by the H7 and Deepcool Gammaxx 400, and if you catch the beQuiet Pure Rock on sale, that also outperforms it and is the quietest of the bunch.

The H7 is usually more expensive and not the better value. In essence, it's a slightly better 2121 Evo.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

11 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

The H7 is usually more expensive and not the better value. In essence, it's a slightly better 2121 Evo.

In a lot of ways, yes, but their price is close enough to the EVO in the US market that the improved performance, quieter fan, smaller form factor and, imo, much better appearance make it worth it and then some. Even on a tighter budget, the Gammaxx 400 has arguably surpassed the 212 family.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

4 hours ago, Heesleemer said:

212 mounting is a pain in the ass 

How easy do you expect mounting to be? Thread 4 standoffs that also mount the backplate, adjust the mounter to your socket, place down and screw in.

1 hour ago, Moress said:

How easy do you expect mounting to be? Thread 4 standoffs that also mount the backplate, adjust the mounter to your socket, place down and screw in.

Noctua easy 

Silverstone FT-05: 8 Broadwell Xeon (6900k soon), Asus X99 A, Asus GTX 1070, 1tb Samsung 850 pro, NH-D15

Resist!