Fx-8350 High temperatures

Moress
Go to solution Solved by Capone,

Sounds to me like a defective cooler.
Try another one.

I had have my Alpenföhn K2 sitting on my FX 8350 @ 1,5V (4,8+GHz) for years and never ran above 62°C.

PS: I am still using this air-cooler, but this time on my Intel Build.

My AMD Fx-8350 has been running really hot. I currently have it underclocked to about 65% of its base clock just to keep it at reasonable temperatures. Even then I am currently 8C below the thermal threshold of 61C. I have a 120mm AIO cooler that sounds like it is working, and so too is its fan. I thought it could have been my motherboard and I know there are BIOS updates available for it. My problem is that I'm worried to flash it because even at base clocks the CPU auto-shutdowns sometimes. And if it does that during a BIOS flash is looks like I have a $1000 paperweight.

Also! I recently replaced the thermal paste and it had 0 effect on my temperatures.

CPU: FX-8350
GPU: GTX 970

Mobo: 970a-ds3p (rev 2.0)

Memory: 8 gigs 1866 mhz

Cooling: 120mm AIO cooler + 240mm top exhaust fan, Various 120mm case fans

Thermal Paste: Arctic Silver 5

CPU: I5 4590 Motherboard: ASROCK H97 Pro4 Ram: XPG 16gb v2.0 4x4 kit  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 PSU: EVGA 550w Supernova G2 Storage: 128 gb Sandisk SSD + 525gb Mx300 SSD Cooling: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock LP Case: Zalman T2 Sound: Logitech Z506 5.1 Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma Keyboard: DBPower LED

It was running these same temps when it was installed by my friend's dad (who knows what he's doing) and now by myself. I doubt the seating would be the problem both times, would it?

CPU: I5 4590 Motherboard: ASROCK H97 Pro4 Ram: XPG 16gb v2.0 4x4 kit  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 PSU: EVGA 550w Supernova G2 Storage: 128 gb Sandisk SSD + 525gb Mx300 SSD Cooling: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock LP Case: Zalman T2 Sound: Logitech Z506 5.1 Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma Keyboard: DBPower LED

are you running the pump at max speed in the bios?

Snorlax: i7 5820k @4.5ghz, Asus X99 Pro, 32gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666, Cryorig R1 Ultimate, Samsung 850 evo 500gb, Asus GTX 1080 ROG Strix, Corsair RM850x, NZXT H440, Hue+

Smallsnor: Huawei Matebook X

Canon AE-1 w/ 50mm f/1.8 lens

Pentax KM w/ 55mm f/1.8 SMC lens

Zenit-E w/ 58mm f/2 Helios lens

Panasonic G7 with 14-42mm f/3.5 lens

Polaroid Spectra System

5 minutes ago, Moress said:

It was running these same temps when it was installed by my friend's dad (who knows what he's doing) and now by myself. I doubt the seating would be the problem both times, would it?

I've had a bit of trouble with a H115i took about 4 attemps to get the bloody thing on. But if it's anything else the pump could be dead.

120mm aio might not be enough. did you try push/pull exhausting air out the back of the case"........ and run those fans off the power supply and not the cpu header on the motherboard..??

not an H50 is it?

2 minutes ago, LabRat said:

120mm aio might not be enough. did you try push/pull exhausting air out the back of the case"........ and run those fans off the power supply and not the cpu header on the motherboard..??

not an H50 is it?

The 120's are quite powerful and since he doesn't have any overclocks it should have no problem keeps a 8350 below 65 underload. 

8 minutes ago, Moress said:

you may want to replace the thermal paste if you havent already

the temps dont seem hat bad TBH, its an AMD CPU

4 minutes ago, Manage My Cables said:

I've had a bit of trouble with a H115i took about 4 attemps to get the bloody thing on. But if it's anything else the pump could be dead.

if the pump was dead it would not be sitting at just 53C

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I have no clue exactly what cooler it is. I bought this last summer and lost all of its paperwork and boxes to a house fire. Luckily it was up at school with me. The pump is plugged into the cpu-cooler header on the board, and the fan is on a system fan header. How do I check if the pump is working, and if its running at max speed?

4 minutes ago, Enderman said:

you may want to replace the thermal paste if you havent already

the temps dont seem hat bad TBH, its an AMD CPU

if the pump was dead it would not be sitting at just 53C

Already replaced the Thermal paste, said that in the OP. And its sitting at 53C now at 2.1ghz. That's not acceptable.

4 minutes ago, Moress said:

I have no clue exactly what cooler it is. I bought this last summer and lost all of its paperwork and boxes to a house fire. Luckily it was up at school with me. The pump is plugged into the cpu-cooler header on the board, and the fan is on a system fan header. How do I check if the pump is working, and if its running at max speed?

plug the pump into the ps or into the mb fan header.......... NOT the cpu header.

add a second fan to the rad.. push/pull. ( both fans blowing in the same direction ).

5 minutes ago, Moress said:

Already replaced the Thermal paste, said that in the OP. And its sitting at 53C now at 2.1ghz. That's not acceptable.

frequency doesnt matter

what matters is the load and voltage

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

frequency doesnt matter

what matters is the load and voltage

1 volt 45% max load on 1 core, 10-1% on the rest.

6 minutes ago, LabRat said:

plug the pump into the ps or into the mb fan header.......... NOT the cpu header.

add a second fan to the rad.. push/pull. ( both fans blowing in the same direction ).

Okay I'll add a second fan tomorrow. There is a PWR_Fan header nearby, would that be acceptable for the pump, or should I find a way to connect it to the PS?

anything is better than the cpu header. i like to come off the ps when i can.

4 minutes ago, LabRat said:

anything is better than the cpu header. i like to come off the ps when i can.

Alright, would a 3 pin system power be alright? Because I don't have the parts to connect it to the ps right now.

37 minutes ago, LabRat said:

120mm aio might not be enough

120mm should easily be alright, back when I was using the stupid chip I had it combined with an H100i, and running 1.49v I still floated around 60C reported temps (likely not actual).

Have you used the cooler on another platform, OP? That temperature and your massive undervolt seems ridiculous. Keep in mind, the FX-8350, and other chips in the series, don't actually have sensors to report temperatures. All temperatures reported are reported by the socket, which creates a 10C variance. That's why I mentioned my chip likely wasn't running 60C.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

10 hours ago, Suika said:

120mm should easily be alright, back when I was using the stupid chip I had it combined with an H100i, and running 1.49v I still floated around 60C reported temps (likely not actual).

Have you used the cooler on another platform, OP? That temperature and your massive undervolt seems ridiculous. Keep in mind, the FX-8350, and other chips in the series, don't actually have sensors to report temperatures. All temperatures reported are reported by the socket, which creates a 10C variance. That's why I mentioned my chip likely wasn't running 60C.

This is my first and only gaming PC so no i havent used this cooler before. And I know its running too hot because ive had thermal shutdowns in the past.

Tried moving the pump to a different fan header with no changes. The pump and fan are on since it will still cool the system down, but just not when it has even a medium load on it. Ideas?

try a cmos reset. getn things back to normal

pull heatsink, clean up reapply thermal paste. reinstall heatsink being careful to tighten the hold down bolts in a cross pattern a little at a time until tight.

try the stock heat sink for a while.,

one of my aio's didn't have enough liquid in it. also, did you tilt the rad to get any air blockage moving?

is the rad above the cpu?

1 minute ago, LabRat said:

try a cmos reset. getn things back to normal

pull heatsink, clean up reapply thermal paste. reinstall heatsink being careful to tighten the hold down bolts in a cross pattern a little at a time until tight.

try the stock heat sink for a while.,

one of my aio's didn't have enough liquid in it. also, did you tilt the rad to get any air blockage moving?

is the rad above the cpu?

The computer has been tilted quite a few times to install parts, clean, ect. The rad is about parallel to the CPU on the back mount. I did do that with the heatsink when i applied the newest paste. Ill have to wait until someone is home to redo that since its kind of a pain. I dont have the stock heatsink anymore. Would just buying a decent air cooler be a reasonable option?

you can try it. ( new heatsink ) can't guarantee anything.

i don't see the PS listed. what is it.

do the cmos reset.

EDIT:  got another graphics card of any kind?

17 minutes ago, LabRat said:

you can try it. ( new heatsink ) can't guarantee anything.

i don't see the PS listed. what is it.

do the cmos reset.

EDIT:  got another graphics card of any kind?

A CX 600, completely forgot to list it. And yeah I have a R9 280 sitting around somewhere 

the 280 is going to draw a lot too. was trying ti keep the heat down.

let's keep working on the cpu.

have fans blowing onto the cpu area? help cool the circuitry around the cpu.

run with side off the case.

25 minutes ago, LabRat said:

the 280 is going to draw a lot too. was trying ti keep the heat down.

let's keep working on the cpu.

have fans blowing onto the cpu area? help cool the circuitry around the cpu.

run with side off the case.

I only have room for a 120mm quite a ways below the cpu, i was thinking of putting a standing fan blowing into it, is that a good idea?