Next-gen Gaming Laptops

Hi guys.

With Computex and Pascal, revealing many things, has anyone seen anything about the next gen gaming laptops with pascal or polaris?

I think there was an Asus one with a 1080gtx.

I also read no more "m" Nvidia cards, whoohoo!

5 minutes ago, OptimisticRealist said:

I also read no more "m" Nvidia cards, whoohoo!

There has been leaked specs (I believe by MSI) that prove that that isnt the case actually. Although supposidly the 1080m this gen is slightly closer to the full fat 1080 than the 980m was to the 980. With the 1080M pretty much matching the 1070 rather than sitting slightly bellow it like the 980M and 970

PC:

Monolith(Laptop): CPU: i7 5700HQ GPU: GTX 980M 8GB RAM: 2x8GB 1600MHz Storage: 2x128GB Samsung 850 EVO(Raid 0) + 1TB HGST 7200RPM Model: Gigabyte P35XV4 Mouse: Razer Orochi Headset: Turtle Beach Stealth 450

IoT:

Router: Netgear D7000 Nighthawk

NAS: Synology DS218j, 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf

Media Accelerator: Nvidia Shield via Plex

Phone: Sony Xperia X Compact

3 minutes ago, CtrlAltELITE said:

There has been leaked specs (I believe by MSI) that prove that that isnt the case actually. Although supposidly the 1080m this gen is slightly closer to the full fat 1080 than the 980m was to the 980. With the 1080M pretty much matching the 1070 rather than sitting slightly bellow it like the 980M and 970

Even if not M version, it would still be underclocked for obvious reasons. 

I think the sweet spot will be GTX 1060/70 in laptops, for $1,100/1300, with SSDs and 1440p screen. 

Can't wait! Also, they need to be able to stay cool, quiet and not be afraid to have deeper keys to be a lot more

comfortable...

and of course, NOT BE GLOSSY like the Razer ones...is it THAT hard to use the same materials as a Mac?

On 6/9/2016 at 1:52 PM, OptimisticRealist said:

Even if not M version, it would still be underclocked for obvious reasons. 

I think the sweet spot will be GTX 1060/70 in laptops, for $1,100/1300, with SSDs and 1440p screen. 

Can't wait! Also, they need to be able to stay cool, quiet and not be afraid to have deeper keys to be a lot more

comfortable...

and of course, NOT BE GLOSSY like the Razer ones...is it THAT hard to use the same materials as a Mac?

Yeah no. The only existing non-M laptop card, the GTX 980, matches reference GTX 980 desktop cards. There is no downclock. If they're going to build off that trend, then a laptop GTX 1080 will be a 1:1 card. And I know the only two machines actually capable of handling it, too. They will need M versions. Pascal is hotter and draws more power than Maxwell in die-to-die comparisons (GM204 vs GP104, etc).

They won't be shoving, downclocked or not, GTX 1060s in thin or lower end laptops with any sort of ease this time. 960M only worked because it was GM107; a 640-core low end card which sipped power and ran extremely cool. 965M, the GTX 960 with a downclock, needed somewhat better machines to handle it better. Also good luck with the 1440p screens; we've been wanting them forever. It's like 1080p --> 4K. If lucky, 3200 x 1800. GPU? 960M. 970M. Like who the hell going to game on that? Come on. Only 13" machines have 1440p screens now.

I really hope they keep cooler =D. Maxwell's unnatural coolness made lots of them complacent... I hope they actually improve.

I don't understand what you mean by glossy here.

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

43 minutes ago, D2ultima said:

Yeah no. The only existing non-M laptop card, the GTX 980, matches reference GTX 980 desktop cards. There is no downclock. If they're going to build off that trend, then a laptop GTX 1080 will be a 1:1 card. And I know the only two machines actually capable of handling it, too. They will need M versions. Pascal is hotter and draws more power than Maxwell in die-to-die comparisons (GM204 vs GP104, etc).

They won't be shoving, downclocked or not, GTX 1060s in thin or lower end laptops with any sort of ease this time. 960M only worked because it was GM107; a 640-core low end card which sipped power and ran extremely cool. 965M, the GTX 960 with a downclock, needed somewhat better machines to handle it better. Also good luck with the 1440p screens; we've been wanting them forever. It's like 1080p --> 4K. If lucky, 3200 x 1800. GPU? 960M. 970M. Like who the hell going to game on that? Come on. Only 13" machines have 1440p screens now.

I really hope they keep cooler =D. Maxwell's unnatural coolness made lots of them complacent... I hope they actually improve.

I don't understand what you mean by glossy here.

Glossy = non-matte/non-apple metal material/fingerprint magent. Take the new Razer Blade Stealth for example, the entire keyboard and material that covers the laptop (the lid primordially), you touch and it will keep your finger prints/grease in a very ugly way, the Macbook Air, for example, does not leave any marks whatsoever, I have tried. 

I live in Puerto Rico and have an MSI GS70, it actually keeps breaking because when gaming, GPU and CPU both reach 95c, yup, like 204~ f degrees. So I am really looking for a COOL laptop, that MSI has an 870m...

So any suggestions? Is the 965m the best I can get? Cooler than Pascal? I have a desktop so I don't need that much power, can be 1080p I guess or 4k

with res on games at 1080p.

thanks!

2 minutes ago, OptimisticRealist said:

Glossy = non-matte/non-apple metal material/fingerprint magent. Take the new Razer Blade Stealth for example, the entire keyboard and material that covers the laptop (the lid primordially), you touch and it will keep your finger prints/grease in a very ugly way, the Macbook Air, for example, does not leave any marks whatsoever, I have tried. 

I live in Puerto Rico and have an MSI GS70, it actually keeps breaking because when gaming, GPU and CPU both reach 95c, yup, like 204~ f degrees. So I am really looking for a COOL laptop, that MSI has an 870m...

So any suggestions? Is the 965m the best I can get? Cooler than Pascal? I have a desktop so I don't need that much power, can be 1080p I guess or 4k

thanks!

Ah. I thought you meant the screen but I was confused. This clears it up. I don't think many people do that glossy thing.

GS70 was never designed to cool the hardware from Kepler or any haswell or broadwell CPUs. They LITERALLY designed it to overheat and barely work, unless living in some super cold area, with much tweaking done. Their reasoning is "if the CPU doesn't go below base clock it isn't throttling", which is false, because MSR registers throw up throttle flags like crazy for the CPU if it isn't using its full turbo. You need a thicker laptop with a better cooling system. Doesn't need to be 2 inches thick weighing 10 pounds, but it needs to be over 1" thick weighing more than 4 pounds. Clevo's P6xxRx series might be up your alley. At least with Maxwell. I don't know how they'll handle Pascal (though they have a triple heatpipe, dual-fan cooling solution for the GPU ALONE in those models, so that might suffice for stock in hotter areas). I'm not sure of Puerto Rico shops, though.

A better bet is making a "what notebook should I buy" thread on the notebookreview forums with your currency and location and what you want to do with it. Just don't get an ASUS, HP, Acer, Dell, Razer, Lenovo, Toshiba, Gigabyte (includes Aorus) or EVGA. Yeah, I know that only leaves MSI, Clevo and Alienware. To be fair to ASUS, their top end models cool well, but their midranged models are garbage, and all their models are hard to service, their warranties are disgustingly easy to break (add a stick of RAM? Break warranty. Change HDD from slot 1 to slot 2? break warranty), so I'll never recommend them. When they want to be a more pro-consumer company, they can get sales. Someone might be able to find a decent shop near you, or you just may have to deal with international shipping. As far as I can see, the only currently supported model from MSI worth its salt is the GT72. But that is probably out of your price range.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

4 minutes ago, D2ultima said:

Ah. I thought you meant the screen but I was confused. This clears it up. I don't think many people do that glossy thing.

GS70 was never designed to cool the hardware from Kepler or any haswell or broadwell CPUs. They LITERALLY designed it to overheat and barely work, unless living in some super cold area, with much tweaking done. Their reasoning is "if the CPU doesn't go below base clock it isn't throttling", which is false, because MSR registers throw up throttle flags like crazy for the CPU if it isn't using its full turbo. You need a thicker laptop with a better cooling system. Doesn't need to be 2 inches thick weighing 10 pounds, but it needs to be over 1" thick weighing more than 4 pounds. Clevo's P6xxRx series might be up your alley. At least with Maxwell. I don't know how they'll handle Pascal (though they have a triple heatpipe, dual-fan cooling solution for the GPU ALONE in those models, so that might suffice for stock in hotter areas). I'm not sure of Puerto Rico shops, though.

A better bet is making a "what notebook should I buy" thread on the notebookreview forums with your currency and location and what you want to do with it. Just don't get an ASUS, HP, Acer, Dell, Razer, Lenovo, Toshiba, Gigabyte (includes Aorus) or EVGA. Yeah, I know that only leaves MSI, Clevo and Alienware. To be fair to ASUS, their top end models cool well, but their midranged models are garbage, and all their models are hard to service, their warranties are disgustingly easy to break (add a stick of RAM? Break warranty. Change HDD from slot 1 to slot 2? break warranty), so I'll never recommend them. When they want to be a more pro-consumer company, they can get sales. Someone might be able to find a decent shop near you, or you just may have to deal with international shipping. As far as I can see, the only currently supported model from MSI worth its salt is the GT72. But that is probably out of your price range.

The MSI GS70's wifi card has been damaged 3 times (I sent it with free warranty to fix, now it will be having a 4th card), it's motherboard and RAM has also been replaced...it is incredible.

I wrote and enclosed 2 letters to MSI, telling them TO NOT SHIP the laptop before talking personally with a supervisor, to see if they are willing to change the unit to a slightly thicker one, since this one has broke so many parts even after all

repairs. Let's see how it goes, just received notification they are working on it. A new unit shouldn't be much work for them, it is their own fault for designing a bad laptop heat-wise.

Anyways, I forgot to tell you that as for 1440p laptops, well, the Razer Stealth one is 1440p so there is still hope! But the laptop would be mainly for my GF since she is playing Overwatch on intel hd 3000 graphics with a hilarious render scale of -52%, yes, negative. Runs smoothly though...Ill check out those other laptops you mentioned. 

What do you think Pascal/Polaris will bring in August/Sept.?

thanks for your insight.

33 minutes ago, D2ultima said:

Btw, I can buy from Amazon Prime. I wonder how the warranty works but I think you pay a Fee for 2 years.

1 minute ago, OptimisticRealist said:

it is their own fault for designing a bad laptop heat-wise.

Anyways, I forgot to tell you that as for 1440p laptops, well, the Razer Stealth one is 1440p so there is still hope! But the laptop would be mainly for my GF since she is playing Overwatch on intel hd 3000 graphics with a hilarious render scale of -52%, yes, negative. Runs smoothly though...Ill check out those other laptops you mentioned. 

What do you think Pascal/Polaris will bring in August/Sept.?

thanks for your insight.

To be honest? It's the market's fault for saying "I want it, it's okay". I stopped posting here for months because I got fed up of every retarded cyacahole defending Razer Blades and jumping at MSI GS series and Aorus laptops when they're after "power" and "performance", somehow expecting the laws of physics to bend backwards and say it's fine. People have such a screwed up idea of laptops it's fucking ridiculous. This is what people "wanted" for the last few years:

- Thin laptop

- As long as it doesn't shut off while gaming it's fine

- Turbo boost doesn't need to be a guarantee

- Don't care about overclocking

- Max all games

- OMG 4K PLS TY

- Gsync

- IPS

- 10 hours battery

And all of that information has resulted in only TWO ODMs pushing for modular parts in laptops (MSI and Clevo), with everyone else completely fine with disposable soldered-only laptops, which run hot and loud and perform badly compared to a heftier machine. Maxwell is the coolest card gen we've seen in about 10 years. People expect everything to be as cool or cooler... it isn't. Pascal is so hot that a vapor chamber reference unit is needed for temps to KIND OF stay under control at 80% fanspeed. Even FERMI, the hottest gen nVidia has launched in ages, didn't require a vapor chamber reference cooler for their MIDRANGED cards (GF104, GF114). GP104 needs one. What's that going to do in laptops? You can take a guess.

The Razer Stealth is very small. 11" or 12". The smaller the screens the better the resolutions we have to choose from. 17" has had 1080p for AGES as its essentially only high resolution option, and the very next jump they made was to 4K. No 1440p, no 3K, nothing. 4K alone. 15" got 4K first, and 14" and 13" had 3K for ages, and 1440p was in 13" for some time as well. But 17"? Who could use it best for gaming? Nah. Ain't happening, apparently.

If we see Pascal by September in mobile i'll be surprised. Most likely we'll see units selling near the end of september to early-mid october. I expect rather hot GPUs that are rather expensive in normal nGreedia fashion, and I expect Polaris to absolutely flop on mobile unless AMD shoves full Polaris 10 in for $400 USD or less per card. Which they've basically admitted they're not doing. Their best slated Polaris 10 GPU for notebooks doesn't beat the laptop in my signature for the most part.

I don't know how prime will work for you, sorry.

3 minutes ago, D2ultima said:

To be honest? It's the market's fault for saying "I want it, it's okay". I stopped posting here for months because I got fed up of every retarded cyacahole defending Razer Blades and jumping at MSI GS series and Aorus laptops when they're after "power" and "performance", somehow expecting the laws of physics to bend backwards and say it's fine. People have such a screwed up idea of laptops it's fucking ridiculous. This is what people "wanted" for the last few years:

- Thin laptop

- As long as it doesn't shut off while gaming it's fine

- Turbo boost doesn't need to be a guarantee

- Don't care about overclocking

- Max all games

- OMG 4K PLS TY

- Gsync

- IPS

- 10 hours battery

And all of that information has resulted in only TWO ODMs pushing for modular parts in laptops (MSI and Clevo), with everyone else completely fine with disposable soldered-only laptops, which run hot and loud and perform badly compared to a heftier machine. Maxwell is the coolest card gen we've seen in about 10 years. People expect everything to be as cool or cooler... it isn't. Pascal is so hot that a vapor chamber reference unit is needed for temps to KIND OF stay under control at 80% fanspeed. Even FERMI, the hottest gen nVidia has launched in ages, didn't require a vapor chamber reference cooler for their MIDRANGED cards (GF104, GF114). GP104 needs one. What's that going to do in laptops? You can take a guess.

The Razer Stealth is very small. 11" or 12". The smaller the screens the better the resolutions we have to choose from. 17" has had 1080p for AGES as its essentially only high resolution option, and the very next jump they made was to 4K. No 1440p, no 3K, nothing. 4K alone. 15" got 4K first, and 14" and 13" had 3K for ages, and 1440p was in 13" for some time as well. But 17"? Who could use it best for gaming? Nah. Ain't happening, apparently.

If we see Pascal by September in mobile i'll be surprised. Most likely we'll see units selling near the end of september to early-mid october. I expect rather hot GPUs that are rather expensive in normal nGreedia fashion, and I expect Polaris to absolutely flop on mobile unless AMD shoves full Polaris 10 in for $400 USD or less per card. Which they've basically admitted they're not doing. Their best slated Polaris 10 GPU for notebooks doesn't beat the laptop in my signature for the most part.

I don't know how prime will work for you, sorry.

nGreedia x''D

Macs would make so much money if they had a gaming variation IMO, sure would be a bit overpriced but many

people would rejoice, I could learn to program iOS apps more easily too...

Here is what I want in a laptop (just to share what I believe is a "Happy medium":

-Max GPU/CPU temps of 86c

-under $1500

-almost desktop GTX970 performance 

-non glossy material/finger print magnet/glossy reflective screen are probably not welcomed.

-8hr battery life - 1440p screen IPS (g sync probably not needed...sounds like it would add $250 (not trash life such as with having 4k res and an actual update after so many years, also, 4k has STILL scaling issues.

-not-so-shallow keyboard (doesnt have to be an ultra slim notebook, 6 pounds max.

-decent 512gb SSD (they are cheap now a days.)

-TB3 (to pair with one of those gpu enclosures in the future).

off the top

of my head, thats it.

2 minutes ago, OptimisticRealist said:

nGreedia x''D

Macs would make so much money if they had a gaming variation IMO, sure would be a bit overpriced but many

people would rejoice, I could learn to program iOS apps more easily too...

Here is what I want in a laptop (just to share what I believe is a "Happy medium":

-Max GPU/CPU temps of 86c

-under $1500

-almost desktop GTX970 performance 

-non glossy material/finger print magnet/glossy reflective screen are probably not welcomed.

-8hr battery life - 1440p screen IPS (g sync probably not needed...sounds like it would add $250 (not trash life such as with having 4k res and an actual update after so many years, also, 4k has STILL scaling issues.

-not-so-shallow keyboard (doesnt have to be an ultra slim notebook, 6 pounds max.

-decent 512gb SSD (they are cheap now a days.)

-TB3 (to pair with one of those gpu enclosures in the future).

off the top

of my head, thats it.

You have no idea. It would take me approximately 30-60 minutes of typing JUST to tell you all the crap they've done to screw over the consumers for more $$.

OS X doesn't have nearly enough games for it... and Macbooks are DISGUSTINGLY designed. Their only benefit is that their outward look and feel is nice and sleek. NOTHING else about them, save maybe battery life, is good. They are most likely incapable of designing such a machine.

That happy medium won't happen anytime soon. Or ever, really. Here, let me explain each point.

- This is possible... but you'll need a larger machine. The larger ones with the better cooling generally are the more expensive ones too (conflicts with another point).

- For desktop 970 performance, $1500 is too little. Maybe Polaris 10 and Pascal cards can work, however we don't really know. Assuming 1070M does it, and assuming its price to be $450-$500 USD, you'll be running it at a stretch, especially with other components like the 512GB SSD you're looking for.

- Again, we're at this point. 980M technically is "almost' as good as a 970 in terms of specs, but it's weaker with lower clockspeeds and worse overclocking. 1070M probably will suffice, though, so I'll assume that for now as cleared.

- This is easy to get... but it's more common in the higher end models. I'll give it a clear, though.

- 8 hour battery life is most likely not happening. Firstly, it requires a large battery, more common in larger/higher end models, and secondly, it requires Optimus/Enduro to be active, or a MUX switch to switch to iGPU only (requires a reboot). The only laptops currently existing with MUX switches are Clevo's P6xxxRx series. I heard the GT72 had it, but I never could get this confirmed, and it is likely that it was removed in the gsync models, so who knows. As for Optimus/Enduro, this means running off the iGPU is the base, and that the dGPU is just a number cruncher. This means that your screen is powered by the iGPU, and that you cannot change your screen's options or use much of nVidia/AMD control panel options to control the screen or games etc. It also means Shadowplay desktop recording is a no-go, and Gsync/Freesync cannot be used while it is active, since the screen is not powered by nVidia/AMD cards. Also, games may have problems with them. Blizzard's launcher flat out sees the iGPU only and gives errors all the time, and Dragon Age Inquisition had problems where it could not use exclusive fullscreen mode for months on Optimus machines, among other things. Optimus/Enduro's only benefits are better battery life and vRAM from Windows primarily loaded onto the iGPU, but that's it. There are a lot of downsides to them, whether or not they affect people due to what they play/use/etc. As for the screen, keep hoping. But it doesn't exist now. But it'd quickest come for 15" models if it launches, I expect. Gsync as I said is impossible with your battery life expectations without a MUX switch (which requires rebooting every time you want to switch modes; mind).

- This weight limit automagically limits size and cooling, especially since you want some of the available size to go straight into the keyboard travel time being higher so it feels better.

- You can surely get a 512GB SSD for cheap... but not in M.2 format. And they'll be crappy TLC NAND drives; something you shouldn't really want for your OS or sensitive data as they have a much shorter lifespan than MLC NAND drives, and they also do not hold their performance over long transfers. The 850 EVO is the only exception to this, but there is no guarantee it will be the cheapest 512GB SSD you see. And I assume you'll want more storage; some games are launching 60GB+ per game. 512GB alone would maybe let you install your OS, some programs, and about four new AAA titles give or take, before hitting your limits of storage. Since those four games would equate to around half the drive (before DLC). Hence why this is not very good for your budget limits.

- Lel. eGPUs are so bad right now. You're better off buying a MXM GPU-using laptop and upgrading the mobile GPU later. If I had the $$ for it, I could put two 980Ms into my laptop right now. It would literally be plug and play, because #MXMStandard. eGPUs run on PCI/e 3.0 x4 lanes if using TB3, which can saturate higher end cards like a 980Ti, far less when GP100/GP102 comes out... the replacement for the Titan X and 980Ti will cleanly blow PCI/e 3.0 x4 out of the water. In addition to this, only two proprietary solutions exist which actually run eGPUs well. The Alienware solution, and the MSI GS30 solution. Both require a reboot on attaching, and have specific slots (even though still only PCI/e x4) to use. The reason they are better is because they require a reboot. Rebooting means the primary graphics adapter is changing, and you get the full compliment of features and abilities that the slotted in GPU contains. Not rebooting, like the Razer Core and ASUS' yet-unnamed solution that have been touted as compatible with every laptop with a TB3 port use, make use of Optimus/Enduro for their solutions. Remember the explanation I described above? iGPU running the screen and dGPU is a number cruncher? Welcome to Razer and ASUS' eGPU solutions. So not only do they get limited in bandwidth, but they're also limited by using Optimus. Your 870M had nVidia Control Panel right? You must remember how it looked cut down compared to your desktop. That's Optimus at work. Mine looks exactly like a desktop one does, because my screen is directly attached to my GPU. Imagine running a 1080Ti in your eGPU solution to see that cut down control panel.

Anyway, I've probably burst about 25 bubbles of yours in a row here. This is the truth about laptops that article writers never speak about =D. I hope things take another 180 from how they're going now. I want socketed mobile CPUs to return and I want more MXM-using machines to return. Right now if you don't buy a desktop-CPU-using Clevo, you DO NOT get a socketed mobile CPU. Ever. They no longer exist. Because Intel decided they weren't necessary. And nVidia (and the market) are pushing real hard for soldered-only GPUs too. They want things disposable. No more training upgrade techs, no more training people to deal with warranties over 2-3 years for machines. Saves OEMs money. Ruins consumers. 

1 hour ago, D2ultima said:

You have no idea. It would take me approximately 30-60 minutes of typing JUST to tell you all the crap they've done to screw over the consumers for more $$.

OS X doesn't have nearly enough games for it... and Macbooks are DISGUSTINGLY designed. Their only benefit is that their outward look and feel is nice and sleek. NOTHING else about them, save maybe battery life, is good. They are most likely incapable of designing such a machine.

That happy medium won't happen anytime soon. Or ever, really. Here, let me explain each point.

- This is possible... but you'll need a larger machine. The larger ones with the better cooling generally are the more expensive ones too (conflicts with another point).

- For desktop 970 performance, $1500 is too little. Maybe Polaris 10 and Pascal cards can work, however we don't really know. Assuming 1070M does it, and assuming its price to be $450-$500 USD, you'll be running it at a stretch, especially with other components like the 512GB SSD you're looking for.

- Again, we're at this point. 980M technically is "almost' as good as a 970 in terms of specs, but it's weaker with lower clockspeeds and worse overclocking. 1070M probably will suffice, though, so I'll assume that for now as cleared.

- This is easy to get... but it's more common in the higher end models. I'll give it a clear, though.

- 8 hour battery life is most likely not happening. Firstly, it requires a large battery, more common in larger/higher end models, and secondly, it requires Optimus/Enduro to be active, or a MUX switch to switch to iGPU only (requires a reboot). The only laptops currently existing with MUX switches are Clevo's P6xxxRx series. I heard the GT72 had it, but I never could get this confirmed, and it is likely that it was removed in the gsync models, so who knows. As for Optimus/Enduro, this means running off the iGPU is the base, and that the dGPU is just a number cruncher. This means that your screen is powered by the iGPU, and that you cannot change your screen's options or use much of nVidia/AMD control panel options to control the screen or games etc. It also means Shadowplay desktop recording is a no-go, and Gsync/Freesync cannot be used while it is active, since the screen is not powered by nVidia/AMD cards. Also, games may have problems with them. Blizzard's launcher flat out sees the iGPU only and gives errors all the time, and Dragon Age Inquisition had problems where it could not use exclusive fullscreen mode for months on Optimus machines, among other things. Optimus/Enduro's only benefits are better battery life and vRAM from Windows primarily loaded onto the iGPU, but that's it. There are a lot of downsides to them, whether or not they affect people due to what they play/use/etc. As for the screen, keep hoping. But it doesn't exist now. But it'd quickest come for 15" models if it launches, I expect. Gsync as I said is impossible with your battery life expectations without a MUX switch (which requires rebooting every time you want to switch modes; mind).

- This weight limit automagically limits size and cooling, especially since you want some of the available size to go straight into the keyboard travel time being higher so it feels better.

- You can surely get a 512GB SSD for cheap... but not in M.2 format. And they'll be crappy TLC NAND drives; something you shouldn't really want for your OS or sensitive data as they have a much shorter lifespan than MLC NAND drives, and they also do not hold their performance over long transfers. The 850 EVO is the only exception to this, but there is no guarantee it will be the cheapest 512GB SSD you see. And I assume you'll want more storage; some games are launching 60GB+ per game. 512GB alone would maybe let you install your OS, some programs, and about four new AAA titles give or take, before hitting your limits of storage. Since those four games would equate to around half the drive (before DLC). Hence why this is not very good for your budget limits.

- Lel. eGPUs are so bad right now. You're better off buying a MXM GPU-using laptop and upgrading the mobile GPU later. If I had the $$ for it, I could put two 980Ms into my laptop right now. It would literally be plug and play, because #MXMStandard. eGPUs run on PCI/e 3.0 x4 lanes if using TB3, which can saturate higher end cards like a 980Ti, far less when GP100/GP102 comes out... the replacement for the Titan X and 980Ti will cleanly blow PCI/e 3.0 x4 out of the water. In addition to this, only two proprietary solutions exist which actually run eGPUs well. The Alienware solution, and the MSI GS30 solution. Both require a reboot on attaching, and have specific slots (even though still only PCI/e x4) to use. The reason they are better is because they require a reboot. Rebooting means the primary graphics adapter is changing, and you get the full compliment of features and abilities that the slotted in GPU contains. Not rebooting, like the Razer Core and ASUS' yet-unnamed solution that have been touted as compatible with every laptop with a TB3 port use, make use of Optimus/Enduro for their solutions. Remember the explanation I described above? iGPU running the screen and dGPU is a number cruncher? Welcome to Razer and ASUS' eGPU solutions. So not only do they get limited in bandwidth, but they're also limited by using Optimus. Your 870M had nVidia Control Panel right? You must remember how it looked cut down compared to your desktop. That's Optimus at work. Mine looks exactly like a desktop one does, because my screen is directly attached to my GPU. Imagine running a 1080Ti in your eGPU solution to see that cut down control panel.

Anyway, I've probably burst about 25 bubbles of yours in a row here. This is the truth about laptops that article writers never speak about =D. I hope things take another 180 from how they're going now. I want socketed mobile CPUs to return and I want more MXM-using machines to return. Right now if you don't buy a desktop-CPU-using Clevo, you DO NOT get a socketed mobile CPU. Ever. They no longer exist. Because Intel decided they weren't necessary. And nVidia (and the market) are pushing real hard for soldered-only GPUs too. They want things disposable. No more training upgrade techs, no more training people to deal with warranties over 2-3 years for machines. Saves OEMs money. Ruins consumers. 

Well, it is better to have the truth!

I love my desktop, it is actually FF7-themed, hope

you've played that masterpiece before.

Thank God I do not depend of a notebook, because in order to be "happy", as we have analyzed, it would be very quite expensive. I am very satisfied with my current rig, but will want a modest gaming laptop for my GF and whenever I want to play side by side her other than my own

desk which is made out of an 8-feet long door.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

1 hour ago, D2ultima said:

Thanks for all the info, im sure it will be very useful to other people also.

Do you by any chance think you could solve a GPU-related issue with my older HP laptop?

it is very strange, I have uninstalled and reinstalled so many times the ATI drivers, upgraded to windows 10, from 7, used many sources and other versions of the drivers...but I cannot get the card to be stable...it says it all installs correctly but after a while it says "Control catalyst has an issue...., no AMD Gpu found..." And of course, the intel hd 3000 works fine...ive tried disabling the GPUs, using the reccomended programa to unistall drivers - etc.

Could the physical GPU be damaged..? :(

3 hours ago, OptimisticRealist said:

Thanks for all the info, im sure it will be very useful to other people also.

Do you by any chance think you could solve a GPU-related issue with my older HP laptop?

it is very strange, I have uninstalled and reinstalled so many times the ATI drivers, upgraded to windows 10, from 7, used many sources and other versions of the drivers...but I cannot get the card to be stable...it says it all installs correctly but after a while it says "Control catalyst has an issue...., no AMD Gpu found..." And of course, the intel hd 3000 works fine...ive tried disabling the GPUs, using the reccomended programa to unistall drivers - etc.

Could the physical GPU be damaged..? :(

I'd think so too, and maybe somebody will read it and get something out of it, however most people DON'T care for the truth I've found. They rather their fantasy as I described their wants earlier.

It sounds like you might really just have a damaged card. I suggest you make a specific post about this on NBR to see what people say. And give the proper specs of your machine etc. Post about it here: http://forum.notebookreview.com/forums/gaming-software-and-graphics-cards.26/

It could also be a motherboard issue, really. I am not sure. I don't think I'll ever know everything xD

3 minutes ago, D2ultima said:

I'd think so too, and maybe somebody will read it and get something out of it, however most people DON'T care for the truth I've found. They rather their fantasy as I described their wants earlier.

It sounds like you might really just have a damaged card. I suggest you make a specific post about this on NBR to see what people say. And give the proper specs of your machine etc. Post about it here: http://forum.notebookreview.com/forums/gaming-software-and-graphics-cards.26/

It could also be a motherboard issue, really. I am not sure. I don't think I'll ever know everything xD

Haha thanks! I will quote you again once I receive my MSI laptop - it should be interesting information, to see if they gave me a new unit/were able to negotiate/admit their own design flaws, or were greedy fuckers that just said well, tough shit, 95c on both GPU and CPU may be hot but it doesnt crash right? Well then it is within adecuate working parameters!! 

1 minute ago, OptimisticRealist said:

Haha thanks! I will quote you again once I receive my MSI laptop - it should be interesting information, to see if they gave me a new unit/were able to negotiate/admit their own design flaws, or were greedy fuckers that just said well, tough shit, 95c on both GPU and CPU may be hot but it doesnt crash right? Well then it is within adecuate working parameters!! 

Good luck with that! I would personally mod the everliving crap out of that thing to make sure it was cool if I were you. Don't underestimate me, I have liquid metal thermal paste on my CPU and GPU.

4 minutes ago, D2ultima said:

Good luck with that! I would personally mod the everliving crap out of that thing to make sure it was cool if I were you. Don't underestimate me, I have liquid metal thermal paste on my CPU and GPU.

I would buy two of these, one for each vent x'''D

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00XKU47Y2/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1465680214&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=laptop+cooler+vacuum&dpPl=1&dpID=4110DLzrigL&ref=plSrch

6 minutes ago, D2ultima said:

Have you ever tried those types of external coolers? Good reviews!

13 minutes ago, D2ultima said:

I have liquid metal thermal paste on my CPU and GPU.

I swear these things dry out on me requiring reapplication every 6 months of so. Maybe I'm just lazy, but is these a trick in doing it so it lasts like...forever LOL.

Laptop Main

(Retired) Zbook 15: i7-6820HQ, M2000M, 32gb, 512gb SSD + 2tb HDD, 4k Dreamcolor

(Retired) Alienware 15 R3: i7-6820HK, GTX1070, 16gb, 512 SSD + 1tb HDD, 1080p

(Retired) T560: i7-6600U, HD520, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1620p

(Retired) P650RS: i7-6820HK, 1070, 16gb, 512gb + 1tb HDD, 4k Samsung PLS

(Retired) MBP 2012 Retina: i7-3820QM, GT650M, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1800p

20 minutes ago, OptimisticRealist said:

Have you ever tried those types of external coolers? Good reviews!

Pointless for me. It won't fit on my machine. It's meant for smaller ones with side vents, for the most part.

12 minutes ago, Pendragon said:

I swear these things dry out on me requiring reapplication every 6 months of so. Maybe I'm just lazy, but is these a trick in doing it so it lasts like...forever LOL.

A year or so should be fine. Even if it "dries out".

I am also anticipating the new next gen laptops with pascal chips. I hope the first ones will release mid July, but that might be too soon.

I will be buying a new one mid July, whether new ones are out or not, because I will need one then.

NZXT S340 | Ryzen 7 5900X | B550 AORUS PRO V2 | TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200 | RTX 4070
Nintendo Switch (2x), Nintendo *New* 3DS, PSP-1000, PSP-2000 (Crisis Core Limited Edition)

MacBook Pro 14 (2021), 16GB RAM, 512GB ROM

8 hours ago, OptimisticRealist said:

thanks!

Wow! 95 degrees celsius? On a gtx 870m? Well good thing I opted for a sager np8651 instead of the MSI I was originally going to buy. Even after overclocking, the GPU (gtx 970m) has never gone over 60 degrees celsius. Even running unigine heaven fullscreen @ultra quality, extreme tessellation, and x8 anti-aliasing. What is your ambient temperature over there?