Positioning 7 fans in Fractal Design S

Alesek

Hey,

Somehow I ended up with 7 silent fans (dont ask me how) and I am wondering what is the best positioning for the fans in Fractal Design S (without window). 

I have 2 Noctua NF-F12

2 Noctua NF-P14s redux

1 Noctua NF-P14r redux

and the default 2 GP14 140mm fans

I am going to connect the GP14 to my PSU so they will be always on. I'll connect the rest to the motherboard controlled by speedfan so they will be mostly off or on very low RPM. 

I am wondering where I should put them for the best silence and temps. I was thinking that ill leave the GP14 one in front, one in the back, NF-f12 one front and one top, and the p14 one top, one front and one side panel.

Is this ok or do you think I can position them better?

5900X

MSI MEG X570 Unify

32GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance

RTX 3080

Dark Base Pro 900

Corsair RM1000i

too many fan

I would just put the P14s' in the front, and a GP14 in the back. Too many fans is too loud.

I used to be quite active here.

3 minutes ago, Kobathor said:

too many fan

I would just put the P14s' in the front, and a GP14 in the back. Too many fans is too loud.

well, 5 of the fans will be off unless I am gaming and then they will spin with less than 800rpm (I can set up speed fan pretty well) so I wouldnt really worry about the noise because my gpu while gaming will be louder than the rest of the fans

5900X

MSI MEG X570 Unify

RTX 3080

Dark Base Pro 900

Corsair RM1000i

2 hours ago, Kobathor said:

too many fan

Not too many. Just run the fans at a lower rpm. 

2xNF-P14S, 1x NF-F12 in the front for intake, 1x NF-F12 at the bottom for intake, and 1 NF-P14R for rear exhaust. 

If you really want to, you can also run 2x GP14's at the top for exhaust but it'd be louder than necessary depending on your rpm.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

3 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

2xNF-P14S, 1x NF-F12 in the front for intake, 1x NF-F12 at the bottom for intake, and 1 NF-P14R for rear exhaust. 

If you really want to, you can also run 2x GP14's at the top for exhaust but it'd be louder than necessary depending on your rpm.

They're already quiet, and airflow will be great without adding tons of fans. He'd probably end up with more noise if he puts lots of fans at a low RPM instead of a few fans at a normal RPM.

People like JayzTwoCents have tons of fans because they watercool, and they need the fans for the radiators. He has lots of radiators, so he can have lots of fans at a very low RPM. This person doesn't need to run all of their fans, just a few. I think his case would be more cluttered in the process of adding 7 fans.

9 minutes ago, Kobathor said:

They're already quiet, and airflow will be great without adding tons of fans. He'd probably end up with more noise if he puts lots of fans at a low RPM instead of a few fans at a normal RPM.

What's a normal rpm to you? I run my fans at 7% and it's quieter and performs better than less fans at higher rpm. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

2 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

What's a normal rpm to you? I run my fans at 7% and it helps in my case to have more than just 3 case fans. 

7%?!?!?!??!?!!!?! My rear exhaust is running at half speed, but my NF-A14's are at full speed. I can't hear them unless I shove my head up to the front of my case.

So, my front ones are at 1500 RPM all the time.

23 minutes ago, Kobathor said:

7%?!?!?!??!?!!!?! My rear exhaust is running at half speed, but my NF-A14's are at full speed. I can't hear them unless I shove my head up to the front of my case.

So, my front ones are at 1500 RPM all the time.

Everyone has a different environment and sensitivity to noise. I stop noticing the difference in noise with my NF-S12A's and NF-A15's below 11%.

You must either have really bad hearing or a loud environment to not hear 1500rpm NF-A14's though. 

1 hour ago, Kobathor said:

Then you can hear it. Or you can't hear anything.

6 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

Is the bottom fan gonna be much better than one in side panel? I don't really need my PC to vacuum my room

5900X

MSI MEG X570 Unify

RTX 3080

Dark Base Pro 900

Corsair RM1000i

8 minutes ago, Alesek said:

Is the bottom fan gonna be much better than one in side panel? I don't really need my PC to vacuum my room

I don't think the side panel has a dust filter. 

9 hours ago, Alesek said:

Hey,

Somehow I ended up with 7 silent fans (dont ask me how) and I am wondering what is the best positioning for the fans in Fractal Design S (without window). 

I have 2 Noctua NF-F12

2 Noctua NF-P14s redux

1 Noctua NF-P14r redux

and the default 2 GP14 140mm fans

I am going to connect the GP14 to my PSU so they will be always on. I'll connect the rest to the motherboard controlled by speedfan so they will be mostly off or on very low RPM. 

I am wondering where I should put them for the best silence and temps. I was thinking that ill leave the GP14 one in front, one in the back, NF-f12 one front and one top, and the p14 one top, one front and one side panel.

Is this ok or do you think I can position them better?

firstly i wont judge on the over kill of fans, but i will tell you plugging the fans directly into the psu will mean noise-noise-noise!!!

9 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

I don't think the side panel has a dust filter. 

Ah too bad. The case is still in the mail so I am not sure about the filters either

9 hours ago, Bcat00 said:

firstly i wont judge on the over kill of fans, but i will tell you plugging the fans directly into the psu will mean noise-noise-noise!!!

Exactly, don't judge :D  I have two from old cpu cooler and the other two are from the case. But I dont think it will really mean noise, considering that they are only 1000rpm 18.9dB fans

5900X

MSI MEG X570 Unify

RTX 3080

Dark Base Pro 900

Corsair RM1000i

To maintain a dust free case you have to get a positiv air pressure inside your case.

Easiest way to achieve that is to have more intake than exhaust fans. Put 3 in the front, 1 in the bottom (if the PSU isn't too long) and 2-3 as exhaust (1 in the back, rest top).

21 hours ago, Kobathor said:

He'd probably end up with more noise if he puts lots of fans at a low RPM instead of a few fans at a normal RPM.

Totally disagree.  Sound does not scale in that fashion.  Two slower fans are most always going to be more quiet than one faster fan.