Moving stuff from HDD to SSD

Rektum

I've never done this before... what's the best way for me to move 300 GB worth of files from my HDD to my new SSD? 

My situation is that I have my current computer with a small SSD for windows and then HDD for everything else. I'm building a new PC and want to have everything on my new 1TB SSD, including windows. What's the best way for me to do this? Any help is appreciated, thank you!

2 minutes ago, Rektum said:

I've never done this before... what's the best way for me to move 300 GB worth of files from my HDD to my new SSD? 

My situation is that I have my current computer with a small SSD for windows and then HDD for everything else. I'm building a new PC and want to have everything on my new 1TB SSD, including windows. What's the best way for me to do this? Any help is appreciated, thank you!

If you can get ahold of a copy (not hard to get. you just have to may for it) of Acronis True Image its pretty good for stuff like that (it has a cloning feature. Ive used it 20+ times without fail)

Breaking things 1 day at a time

3 minutes ago, TubsAlwaysWins said:

If you can get ahold of a copy (not hard to get. you just have to may for it) of Acronis True Image its pretty good for stuff like that (it has a cloning feature. Ive used it 20+ times without fail)

1 minute ago, ElfFriend said:

Cloning software like Acronis True Image is really you're best choice here.

What exactly does the free trial limit me to?

http://www.pcgamer.com/how-clone-hard-drive-or-ssd-2014/ That has links to some free tools you can try out.

Otherwise, are you cloning your OS install? If not you can just copy and paste. Or if want a more thorough job, you can open the command prompt and run:

robocopy [source] [destination] /MIR

11 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

http://www.pcgamer.com/how-clone-hard-drive-or-ssd-2014/ That has links to some free tools you can try out.

Otherwise, are you cloning your OS install? If not you can just copy and paste. Or if want a more thorough job, you can open the command prompt and run:

robocopy [source] [destination] /MIR

I will be cloning the OS as well. Is robocopy a good way to do that?

5 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

No, there's a hidden partition on your boot drive that has the bootloader. This needs to be cloned otherwise the OS won't boot from the new drive.

So what do you think is the best way to do this?

3 hours ago, Rektum said:

Check your ssds documentation. My Samsung ssd came with software to transfer files from an old disk, maybe yours does to. 

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

12 hours ago, Rektum said:

What exactly does the free trial limit me to?

No idea. All you need is the Clone tool

Breaking things 1 day at a time